Auctioning off old collection

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.marketplace,rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc,rec.games.trading-cards.marketplace.magic.auctions,rec.games.trading-cards.marketplace.magic.sales (More info?)

howdy all,

I am breaking up an old collection acquired when I ran a card shop a few
years back. We are dividing it into lots and posting it on Ebay. The first
6 lots are posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3190831344
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3190835832
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3190837568
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3190837830
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3190837969
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3190838053

And I'll be posting others over the next week or two. There's cards in
there back into Antiquities and Arabian Nights. If you're looking for
anything specific, shoot me an e-mail. My reply address has extra
characters in it to avoid spambots, just remove the capital letters from the
address before replying.

Thanks!

Jim Peterson
Indy Tech

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

From the Collected Spamming of Indy Tech, volume 23:
> howdy all,
>
> I am breaking up an old collection acquired when I ran a card shop a few
> years back. We are dividing it into lots and posting it on Ebay.

You reckon, do you?

--
Flatulence: the only truly disposable art form.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Was there a point?

"David Chapman" <jedit_ojanen8@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> From the Collected Spamming of Indy Tech, volume 23:
> > howdy all,
> >
> > I am breaking up an old collection acquired when I ran a card shop a few
> > years back. We are dividing it into lots and posting it on Ebay.
>
> You reckon, do you?
>
> --
> Flatulence: the only truly disposable art form.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On Sat, 01 May 2004 15:26:45 GMT, "Indy Tech"
<indytechSPAMTRAP@att.net> wrote:

>Was there a point?
>
>"David Chapman" <jedit_ojanen8@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> From the Collected Spamming of Indy Tech, volume 23:
>> > howdy all,
>> >
>> > I am breaking up an old collection acquired when I ran a card shop a few
>> > years back. We are dividing it into lots and posting it on Ebay.
>>
>> You reckon, do you?

Dave was chiming in to let you know that he had reported you to eBay
and probably your ISP for posting a sales/auction message in a
non-sales/auction Newsgroup. It is his opinion (and that of some
others who read/post here regularly) that this isn't good form,
especially when the poster also posts in the *proper* newsgroups,
which indicates that they know the proper place for such
advertisements.

I did check eBay, however, and your auctions haven't been pulled. I
*think* they *have* pulled auctions in the past for this, though. (no
proof)

Anyway... please don't post sales/auction messages in a
non-sales/auction related newsgroup.
-- pseudosoldier

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Well, thanks for the coherent response. I haven't used newsgroups that much
since they became the province of petty little board nazis like the
erstwhile Mr. Chapman. I did think my post was related to the group's
topic, moreso than the posts I read on Black Magic and the impeachment of
the President, but having found the group's FAQ I know that such
announcements aren't welcome.

I did also receive an e-mail message from a Mr. DeLaney that explained
things more clearly than "You reckon, do you?".

Jim Peterson

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On Sat, 01 May 2004 16:24:29 GMT, "Indy Tech"
<indytechSPAMTRAP@att.net> wrote:

>Well, thanks for the coherent response. I haven't used newsgroups that much
>since they became the province of petty little board nazis

Godwin.
-- pseudosoldier

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

I'm familiar with the principle, but I'm not trying to win an argument.

Indy Tech wrote:
> I'm familiar with the principle, but I'm not trying to win an
> argument.

Doesn't Godwin state the argument's over at this point?

--
Gravity: it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

This is sort of "stream of consciousness" so it rambles a bit, but press on
to the end.
--------------------------------
Please try to read through this and process it. I know a newsgroup is not
the most receptive audience for

this message, but for those of you capable of independent thought, I offer
some input. Newgroups and

message boards aren't the only forums this appplies to, but as they are the
most distilled examples, I will use

them.

When I started using the Internet and usegroups, it was an amazing
discovery, even if it took a day or two for

your messages and responses to bounce between relays and hit all the boards.
It was also accompanied by a

sense of accomplishment due to the lack of software that could automate
thing for you. The boards weren't

very codified or broken down into a lot of categories, but a few messages
could usually tip you off where to

meet people with similar interests or answers to your questions.

As time and technology marched on, access to this online world of ours
became easier. As with any venue,

giving less restricted access brought with it the mixed blessings of a
greater variety of views and intellects.

I'm sure all of you know the type of people whose presence can make this
LESS of a blessing. It is very

important to us, at an early stage of social development, to gain acceptance
of the people in our lives. This

extends to any setting, be it sports, parties, or message boards.

Many people never receive the sort of challenges that they need to grow
emotionally beyond this point.

They go on in the same patterns through college, work, marriage, and life,
where "winning" the conversation

is the objective, not the exchange of information. There is no place easier
to play out these adolescent

patterns than a faceless message board. Some people strive for control by
rapidly posting strings of

obscenties on IRC channels as fast as possible. Others try to dominate the
groups they frequent in other

ways, through ridicule, abuse, or posing as "the" authority on the topic.

As long as you see a conversation as a contest that someone has to win,
you're missing the point entirely.

Exchange information; accept that people are going to offer you insights
that are right, wrong, brilliant,

stupid, etc. Learn to process everything yourself and decide what's
important. Don't let someone sway your

opinion because of word choice; look beyond the words to the meaning. We
see too much of this in the

political arena already, where someone can invoke the word "Watergate" or
"Vietnam" in a discussion to try

and bring associations that aren't necessarily accurate or relevant, but
bring up negative feelings that they

hope you will tie to their opponent or the ideas they oppose.

We saw an 2 examples of that in this thread already. I used the word "nazi"
to describe someone, with no

indication of what that meant to me or what idea I wanted to convey. I
assure you I have a context for the

word, and it's use was accurate in that context, but it lowered the tone of
the conversation and allowed

people to emotionally reject what I was saying without having to process the
information. The second

example was the mention of Godwin's Law, where someone hoped to dismiss what
I was saying by the use of

a single word.

Yes, newsgroups and most all Internet venues for conversation are full of
people who vie for control and/or

acceptance. Many of them are drawn to the relative anonymity of a keyboard
and monitor, because it limits

the scope of their world to one they feel they can control, and without
exposing themselves to the rest of

humanity. It's the "big fish in a small pond" concept, where if you can
become king of a small, well-defined

area, then you can disdain developing the ability to deal with the rest of
the world's challenges.

I know removing yourself from the viewpoint of a veteran Internet user may
take some effort, but give it a try.

Picture someone who, in the context of their life's challenges of
school/work, rent, social events, bills, kids,

maintaining a home and/or vehicle, relationships, etc who will still take
time to take action against someone

who has the audacity to put a text message somewhere on the Internet where
they don't feel it's appropriate.

Not pornographic, or obscene, or offensive, but simply in the wrong place...

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

I missed what we're arguing...

On Sat, 01 May 2004 16:24:29 GMT, Indy Tech <indytechSPAMTRAP@att.net> wrote:
>Well, thanks for the coherent response. I haven't used newsgroups that much
>since they became the province of petty little board nazis like the
>erstwhile Mr. Chapman. I did think my post was related to the group's
>topic,

Nope, it's specifically forbidden here. There are other groups for such.
(Replying on the group mainly because there's the ever-present threat of
lurkers seeing someone post "I think it's related/on-topic" without also
seeing other people let them know it isn't, and taking the former as gospel
somehow...)

>but having found the group's FAQ I know that such
>announcements aren't welcome.

Fair enough.

Dave

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

<snip justification for not reading the FAQ>

RTF FAQ next time

---

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

From the Collected Witterings of Zaxx, volume 23:
> Indy Tech wrote:
>> I'm familiar with the principle, but I'm not trying to win an
>> argument.
>
> Doesn't Godwin state the argument's over at this point?

And the person who made the comparison has surrendered the point to boot.
Not that he ever had a point.

--

David DeLaney wrote:
> On Sat, 01 May 2004 16:24:29 GMT, Indy Tech <indytechSPAMTRAP@att.net> wrote:
>
>>I did think my post was related to the group's
>>topic,
>

> Nope, it's specifically forbidden here.

Semantic nitpick:
It's both.

It's forbidden even though it's related.
Or, just being related does not make it welcome or on-topic.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

From the Collected Witterings of Sorcier, volume 23:
> David DeLaney wrote:

>> Nope, it's specifically forbidden here.
>
> Semantic nitpick:
> It's both.
>
> It's forbidden even though it's related.

I'm inclined to disagree, in terms of content at least. What may be posted
here cannot be related to anything else in r.g.t-c.m.*; that's what misc
groups are for, to catch the overspill.

--
Flatulence: the only truly disposable art form.