Reprints in Fifth Dawn?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Are there any reprints in Fifth Dawn?

--
Bob

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Bob Flaminio wrote:

> Are there any reprints in Fifth Dawn?

The reprints I found are:
Circle of Protection: Artifacts
Magma Giant
Relic Barrier

Sylvok Explorer seems to be a functional reprint of Harvester Druid
and Goblin Cannon is an almost-copy of Rocket Launcher.
--

David

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

> > Are there any reprints in Fifth Dawn?
>
> The reprints I found are:
> Circle of Protection: Artifacts
> Magma Giant
> Relic Barrier
>
> Sylvok Explorer seems to be a functional reprint of Harvester Druid
> and Goblin Cannon is an almost-copy of Rocket Launcher.

Magma Giant is a reprint? Where was it printed originally? Isn't
familiar to me. And isn't Life Chisel in Fifth Dawn? I specifically remember
seeing it on my registration sheet at the prerelease but now I'm looking
through the spoiler and I don't see it there.

"David de Kloet" <dskloet@cs.vu.nl> wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 May 2004, Bob Flaminio wrote:
>
> > Are there any reprints in Fifth Dawn?
>
> The reprints I found are:
> Circle of Protection: Artifacts
> Magma Giant
> Relic Barrier
>
> Sylvok Explorer seems to be a functional reprint of Harvester Druid
> and Goblin Cannon is an almost-copy of Rocket Launcher.
> --
>
> David

Don't forget my personal favorite, Furnace Whelp, which is arguably a better
version of Dragon Whelp.

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Chris Wiegert wrote:

> > > Are there any reprints in Fifth Dawn?
> >
> > The reprints I found are:
> > Circle of Protection: Artifacts
> > Magma Giant
> > Relic Barrier
> >
> > Sylvok Explorer seems to be a functional reprint of Harvester Druid
> > and Goblin Cannon is an almost-copy of Rocket Launcher.
>
> Magma Giant is a reprint? Where was it printed originally? Isn't
> familiar to me.

It's from Portal: Second Age.

> And isn't Life Chisel in Fifth Dawn? I specifically remember seeing
> it on my registration sheet at the prerelease but now I'm looking
> through the spoiler and I don't see it there.

Then I guess it isn't...
--

David

Kevin C. wrote:

>>On Mon, 24 May 2004, Bob Flaminio wrote:
>>

>>>Are there any reprints in Fifth Dawn?
>>

> Don't forget my personal favorite, Furnace Whelp, which is arguably a better
> version of Dragon Whelp.

Arguably is right: the original is a 2/3 flyer with "limited"
firebreathing, while the newcomer is a 2/2 with unlimited firebreathing.

In an environment (current Standard) with Shock, Vicious Hunger,
Lavamancer's Skill, Skirk Commando, Words of War, Lightning Rift, Dive
Bomber, Catapult Squad, Skirk Marauder, Siege-gang Commander, Extra
Arms, Shock Troops, Seismic Assault, Guerilla Tactics, Orcish Artillery,
Pyroclasm, Pyrite Spellbomb, Electrostatic Bolt, Magma Giant, and
Arc-Slogger, an extra point of toughness is a big deal.

I never found the "limitation" on the old Whelp to be much of a
limitation. Either you're blocking a huge creature and you want to pump
the Whelp to ensure mutual destruction, or you're flying over for a
killing attack. Once in a great while you'd send it over for 5 damage
when you had enough mana to do 6 or more, and your opponent wouldn't die
this turn because you didn't have enough available (R).

--
(Posted from an account used as a SPAM dump. If you really want to get
in touch with me, dump the 'jboes' and substitute 'mur'.)

David de Kloet wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2004, Bob Flaminio wrote:
>

>>Are there any reprints in Fifth Dawn?
>

> The reprints I found are:
> Circle of Protection: Artifacts
> Magma Giant
> Relic Barrier
>
> Sylvok Explorer seems to be a functional reprint of Harvester Druid
> and Goblin Cannon is an almost-copy of Rocket Launcher.

There are many more tributes than direct reprints, as far as I can see.

Those not yet mentioned:
Thought Courier is virtually identical (except for creature type) to
Merfolk Looter.
Wayfarer's Bauble is almost strictly better than Braidwood Sextant.
Krark-Clan Ironworks is virtually identical to Ashnod's Altar.
Spectral Shift allows you to play both modes of Mind Bend at the same time.
Gemstone Array is an improvement upon all of the Mana Batteries.
Lunar Avenger is functionally very similar to Urza's Avenger.
Tangle Asp is a smaller version of Thicket Basilisk (that can destroy
Walls!)
And Vulshok Sorceror is a red Tim with Haste. =D

Also, mtg.com mentioned a few particular tributes during their previews:
Auriok Champion <- Soul Warden
Engineered Explosives <- Powder Keg
Ensouled Scimitar <- Dancing Scimitar
Eternal Witness <- Regrowth + Jungle Lion
Infused Arrows <- Serrated Arrows
Rite of Passage <- Fungasaur
Vedalken Orrery <- Vernal Equinox

And here are the remaining tributes I could find:
Acquire <- Bribery
Granulate <- Shatterstorm
Razormane Masticore <- Masticore
Roar of Reclamation <- Replenish
Shattered Dreams <- Ostracize

Adam Compton

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

From the Collected Witterings of Adam Compton, volume 23:

> There are many more tributes than direct reprints, as far as I can see.

I wouldn't call them tributes. Healer's Headdress is a tribute to Samite
Healer because it represents the guy's hat and bestows his ability.
Acquire, OTOH, is just a variant on Bribery in the same way that Thought
Dissector is a variant on Helm of Obedience.

> Those not yet mentioned:

> Wayfarer's Bauble is almost strictly better than Braidwood Sextant.

It *is* strictly better, isn't it?

> Krark-Clan Ironworks is virtually identical to Ashnod's Altar.

In the same way that Air Elemental is virtually identical to Hill Giant.

> Tangle Asp is a smaller version of Thicket Basilisk (that can destroy
> Walls!)

There are many creatures with the stoning ability. The Asp is just one
more.

> Eternal Witness <- Regrowth + Jungle Lion

A stupid comparison, as Jungle Lion can't block.

--
Twelve points to ... SLOVENIA!

David Chapman wrote:
> From the Collected Witterings of Adam Compton, volume 23:
>
>>There are many more tributes than direct reprints, as far as I can see.
>
> I wouldn't call them tributes. Healer's Headdress is a tribute to Samite
> Healer because it represents the guy's hat and bestows his ability.
> Acquire, OTOH, is just a variant on Bribery in the same way that Thought
> Dissector is a variant on Helm of Obedience.

Granted. Perhaps "tributes" was a poor choice of name for some of these
comparisons.

>>Those not yet mentioned:
>
>>Wayfarer's Bauble is almost strictly better than Braidwood Sextant.
>
> It *is* strictly better, isn't it?

I can think of a few situations where you might want the land to come to
your hand instead of right into play (Seismic Assault is in most of
them, though :) ). But yeah, strictly better in almost all cases.

>>Krark-Clan Ironworks is virtually identical to Ashnod's Altar.
>
> In the same way that Air Elemental is virtually identical to Hill Giant.

I don't think that's entirely fair. It was a mistake of me to call it
virtually identical, yes, but they serve very similar purposes.

>>Tangle Asp is a smaller version of Thicket Basilisk (that can destroy
>>Walls!)
>
> There are many creatures with the stoning ability. The Asp is just one
> more.

I had thought that they changed the template to "whenever this creature
deals combat damage..", but I see that the card Dead-Iron Sledge from
Mirrodin uses the "blocks or becomes blocked by" template, so Tangle Asp
is not as cool as I had thought.

>>Eternal Witness <- Regrowth + Jungle Lion
>
> A stupid comparison, as Jungle Lion can't block.

Uncalled for. You are correct about Jungle Lion, but that's no reason to
be snippy.

Adam Compton

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

From the Collected Witterings of Adam Compton, volume 23:
> David Chapman wrote:
>>> Eternal Witness <- Regrowth + Jungle Lion
>>
>> A stupid comparison, as Jungle Lion can't block.
>
> Uncalled for. You are correct about Jungle Lion, but that's no reason to
> be snippy.

It's not like I was being snippy at you.

--
Twelve points to ... SLOVENIA!