Sign in with
Your question

Question About Uninstalling Drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 27, 2003 11:50:58 PM

I just today bought a Visiontek Xtasy 9100 to replace my GeForce2 MX400. This is the first time that I've ever swapped out a nVidia card for an ATI card. I've read a lot of posts about people having to go to great lengths to remove every trace of nVidia software before installing an ATI card.

If I remove all of the nVidia drivers, what happens? Will my screen just go blank? How will I be able to navigate around my desktop after the drivers are uninstalled? Keep in mind that I'm a newbie when it comes to hardware.

Can anyone give me a list of things that I should do in chronological order to safely uninstall my nVidia card and install my ATi card?
May 28, 2003 12:48:41 AM

There are some small tools to remove NV driver, try googling around to look for detonator killer, etc. Simply unsintall the driver using "windows method" will end up in reinstall windows/reformat hdd in worst case.

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
May 28, 2003 1:20:39 AM

Aside from removing the old drivers, a clean install will get rid of a lot of crap that is running in the background.
I know it seems like a lot of work, but it's a very good thing to do from time to time. Your computer will run much faster and better for it
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endyen on 05/27/03 09:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!