Screen dead after ram upgarde

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hi there,

I have a lenovo thinkpad z60m-2529 with 2 RAM cards of pc2-4200x512mb.

I tried upgrading the RAM in my laptop and when I switched it back on my screen was dead.

To upgrade, I replaced one of those cards with pc2-6400x1gb. (I understood that the pc2-4200 and pc2-6400 will work together at the slower speed).
When I switched on the laptop afterwards the screen was blank, so I removed the new RAM and put back the old, but it still doesn't work.
I also connected an external monitor to see if the problem was specifically the internal screen. The external monitor stayed blank.

Any advice help or suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks

while 4200 and 6400 SHOULD play nice, it is not always the case. Laptops are particularly picky, so you need to match not only the frequency, but also the timings on the RAM. Also, there is a very real possibility that you got a bad stick of ram, it happens.

Replacing the RAM seems easy enough. I suggest looking over page 65 in this PDF. Click on the download now to view.
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-61364

You may have not snapped the RAM into place. Make sure the battery and the power plug are both removed before attempting any hardware changes. A blank LCD is a symptom of no or incorrectly installed DIMM's. I suggest trying it again with the new RAM and ensure you are properly grounded.

pupick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
SOLVED
Thanks so much for all your prompt replies!
In the meantime I tried the 3 sticks of RAM in different combinations.
When I installed the new ram (PC2-6400) by itself the laptop made a series of beeps indicating RAM problem. My fear was that bad RAM had damaged something.
The laptop is now working again with the original sticks of RAM. I may try it again in future although I am not sure the extra 512mb is worth the effort.
Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.