help me beat a blue deck

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 28, 2004 1:52:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

i need help with beating a blue deck. This deck is very nasty and nothing i
do seems to effect it. the deck has a lot of couterspells. anything u
throw out to beat it will be coutered. I would be grateful for any help
given on how to beat this deck.

thanks

sp

More about : beat blue deck

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 1:52:46 AM

"sp" <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> wrote in message
> i need help with beating a blue deck. This deck is very nasty and nothing
> do seems to effect it. the deck has a lot of couterspells. anything u
> throw out to beat it will be coutered. I would be grateful for any help
> given on how to beat this deck.
>
> thanks
>
> sp

Well, assuming they can start countering stuff immediately (Force of Will),
on turn 1 (Annul? Counterspell/Mana Drain, via Moxen of some sort), and
beyond, there's not much you can really do. One strategy is to bluff. Play a
spell you don't *really* need, hoping they'll counter it. Then, once they've
tapped their blue mana, play the spell you *do* need. Another strategy is to
play some counterspells yourself. Use these sparingly, and only to back up
the spells you really need to cast. Unless, of course, you want to play a
deck just like his. Counter wars, while they get old quick, can sometimes be
fun. Another strategy, though less viable, is to find a way to play your
spell *without playing them as spells*. For instance, Aether Vial puts a
creature into play without paying its casting cost. So does Fold into
Aether. (Which is, in itself, a counterspell). There are many cards that
have the cycling ability, and in addition to drawing you a card, they have
an ability associated with the cycle. (For instance, Decree of Annihilation
destroys all lands when cycled.) No counterspell can stop cycling, as it's
not a spell. Stifle can stop it, but that's only one card you have to worry
about. Blue is very hard to deal with (especially in Type 1), but it is
possible if you're playing a deck with enough threats to overwhelm them.
Good luck.

--

KB
May 28, 2004 3:04:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

thanks alot.....i'll build mysef a new deck with some of those cards
mentioned and keep u posted

thanks again

sp

"Ken Briscoe" <youcant@sendmespam.com> wrote in message
> "sp" <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> wrote in message
> > i need help with beating a blue deck. This deck is very nasty and
nothing
> > do seems to effect it. the deck has a lot of couterspells. anything u
> > throw out to beat it will be coutered. I would be grateful for any help
> > given on how to beat this deck.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > sp
>
> Well, assuming they can start countering stuff immediately (Force of
Will),
> on turn 1 (Annul? Counterspell/Mana Drain, via Moxen of some sort), and
> beyond, there's not much you can really do. One strategy is to bluff. Play
> spell you don't *really* need, hoping they'll counter it. Then, once
they've
> tapped their blue mana, play the spell you *do* need. Another strategy is
> play some counterspells yourself. Use these sparingly, and only to back up
> the spells you really need to cast. Unless, of course, you want to play a
> deck just like his. Counter wars, while they get old quick, can sometimes
be
> fun. Another strategy, though less viable, is to find a way to play your
> spell *without playing them as spells*. For instance, Aether Vial puts a
> creature into play without paying its casting cost. So does Fold into
> Aether. (Which is, in itself, a counterspell). There are many cards that
> have the cycling ability, and in addition to drawing you a card, they have
> an ability associated with the cycle. (For instance, Decree of
Annihilation
> destroys all lands when cycled.) No counterspell can stop cycling, as it's
> not a spell. Stifle can stop it, but that's only one card you have to
worry
> about. Blue is very hard to deal with (especially in Type 1), but it is
> possible if you're playing a deck with enough threats to overwhelm them.
> Good luck.
>
> --
>
> KB

Related resources
May 28, 2004 3:11:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

the tapping mana is a bit of a pain as he uses rewind so he gets the mana
back. i think i might have to create a weenie deck and force him to use all
his counter spells on blocking small creatures.

again thanks for the help
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 7:57:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

"sp" <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> wrote in message
> i need help with beating a blue deck. This deck is very nasty and nothing
> do seems to effect it. the deck has a lot of couterspells. anything u
> throw out to beat it will be coutered. I would be grateful for any help
> given on how to beat this deck.
>
> thanks
>
> sp

Use Overmaster with Boil or something. Could also throw in Red Elemental
Blast (aka Pyroblast) or both.
May 28, 2004 12:25:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

just a quick question. is putting a creature on the table a spell? and is
there any artifact card out there that can block any blue spell?

sp
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 12:25:30 PM

sp wrote:

> just a quick question. is putting a creature on the table a spell?

Not necessarily. If you pay the mana cost and play it, then, yes, that's
a spell. If you're following the instructions on a card that says to
"put a creature in play", then putting the creature in play is *not*
a spell (although the card that tells you to put it play might be).

> and
> is there any artifact card out there that can block any blue spell?

Can't think of one off the top of my head, no.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 1:14:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

You could try a 8th edition card called 'defense grid'. IF you can get in
into play, it makes your opponent pay 3 mana extra for his counterspells,
making countering a expensive hobby ;-p. Only use this card however if your
deck doesn't rely on playing spells on your opponents turn however, since it
will also affect yourself

"sp" <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> schreef in bericht
> i need help with beating a blue deck. This deck is very nasty and nothing
> do seems to effect it. the deck has a lot of couterspells. anything u
> throw out to beat it will be coutered. I would be grateful for any help
> given on how to beat this deck.
>
> thanks
>
> sp

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 1:38:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

sp <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> sent:
> just a quick question. is putting a creature on the table a spell? and is
> there any artifact card out there that can block any blue spell?

Creature spells are spells just like all the other spells - instants,
enchantments, sorceries and artifacts are all spells when you play them
too. As for 'block', by which I assume 'counter' or 'make unplayable':

Null Brooch {4} Artifact
{2}, {T}, Discard your hand: Counter target noncreature spell.

Chalice of the Void {X}{X} Artifact
Chalice of the Void comes into play with X charge counters on it.
/ Whenever a player plays a spell with converted mana cost equal to the
number of charge counters on Chalice of the Void, counter that
spell.

Defense Grid {2} Artifact
During each player's turn, each other player's spells cost {3} more
to play.

There's a few options there.

--
-- zoe
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

"sp" <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> wrote in message
> i need help with beating a blue deck. This deck is very nasty and nothing
> do seems to effect it. the deck has a lot of couterspells. anything u
> throw out to beat it will be coutered. I would be grateful for any help
> given on how to beat this deck.
>
> thanks
>
> sp

I used to play a fun casual deck that was pretty well nothing but land...The
"man-lands" can't be countered and there is a wide variety of land cards
that tap to boost creatures, also uncounterable because you played them as a
land.

here are some of the man-lands;

Faerie Conclave
Forbidding Watchtower
Ghitu Encampment
Kjeldoran Outpost
Nantuko Monastery
Spawning Pool
Stalking Stones
Treetop Village

Like I said, fun casual.
Good luck!

Greg B.
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 4:39:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

sp <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> wrote:
>just a quick question. is putting a creature on the table a spell?

Depends. Are you casting it as a spell: announcing it during your Main
phase with the stack empty, paying its mana cost, putting it on the stack,
and waiting for it to resolve? Then yes, that's a creature spell. (Artifacts
and enchantments are also normally cast as spells.)

Are you using some spell or ability whose EFFECT says to "put a creature
card into play"? Then no, that's NOT a creature spell. (It might be some
_other_ kind of spell, such as Show and Tell, or Tooth and Nail; both of
those have effects which can put creature cards into play, but neither one
is a creature spell itself.)

>and is
>there any artifact card out there that can block any blue spell?

Spells can't be blocked, because spells aren't attacking creatures.

I don't know of an artifact that can cause blue attacking creatures to
become blocked.

If perhaps you meant to ask about -countering- blue spells? Gainsay and
Red Elemental Blast are spells that can do this; there isn't a permanent
in particular that does this, though you could Sleight of Mind a Lifeforce
or a Deathgrip so that it countered blue spells instead of green / black ones.

Dave
May 29, 2004 5:01:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

If you play red, there a some nice anti-blue cards:
Price of Glory ( odessy )
Red Elemental Blast
Pyroblast
Burnout
Sirocco

You could also make a green deck with creatures that can't be countered:
Blurred Mongoose
Gaea's Herald
Insist ( sorcery )
Kavu Chameleon
Root Sliver
Vexing Beetle

Or try to gain control of the game as early in the game as possible. More
small green creatures then he can counter, once there out he has to do
somothing to stop them, meaning he wont have mana left for counters ( if you
play green you probably have more mana ). Or put in black to make him
discard. Duress is always a good card, pick out a nasty counter on turn one,
use other means of discarding to gain card advantage.

But now I assume you have a lot af cards to pick from.

In general, its not the best idea to make a deck that is good against a
specific deck.

"sp" <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> schreef in bericht
> i need help with beating a blue deck. This deck is very nasty and nothing
> do seems to effect it. the deck has a lot of couterspells. anything u
> throw out to beat it will be coutered. I would be grateful for any help
> given on how to beat this deck.
>
> thanks
>
> sp

Anonymous
May 29, 2004 5:04:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

sp <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> wrote:

> i need help with beating a blue deck. This deck is very nasty and nothing i
> do seems to effect it. the deck has a lot of couterspells. anything u
> throw out to beat it will be coutered. I would be grateful for any help
> given on how to beat this deck.

Can you get your hands on a Monsoon? And note that if you have Instant
spells, you can play them in response to his Rewind (i.e., before he has
his four lands untap).

Also, there are a number of spells that he would be explicitly unable to
counter. (Root Sliver is particularly nasty in this regard, although
Gaea's Herald might also be useful in combination with Insist.)
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

i know its not a good idea to build a deck to kill a specific deck but this
deck is really annoying me. no-one can beat it. its even been banned in
certain areas

sp

"Elephant" <cleaner@codocadNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> If you play red, there a some nice anti-blue cards:
> Price of Glory ( odessy )
> Red Elemental Blast
> Pyroblast
> Burnout
> Sirocco
>
> You could also make a green deck with creatures that can't be countered:
> Blurred Mongoose
> Gaea's Herald
> Insist ( sorcery )
> Kavu Chameleon
> Root Sliver
> Vexing Beetle
>
> Or try to gain control of the game as early in the game as possible. More
> small green creatures then he can counter, once there out he has to do
> somothing to stop them, meaning he wont have mana left for counters ( if
you
> play green you probably have more mana ). Or put in black to make him
> discard. Duress is always a good card, pick out a nasty counter on turn
one,
> use other means of discarding to gain card advantage.
>
> But now I assume you have a lot af cards to pick from.
>
> In general, its not the best idea to make a deck that is good against a
> specific deck.
>
> "sp" <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> schreef in bericht
> > i need help with beating a blue deck. This deck is very nasty and
nothing
> > do seems to effect it. the deck has a lot of couterspells. anything u
> > throw out to beat it will be coutered. I would be grateful for any help
> > given on how to beat this deck.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > sp

May 30, 2004 4:07:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

"sp" <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> wrote in message
> i need help with beating a blue deck. This deck is very nasty and nothing i
> do seems to effect it. the deck has a lot of couterspells. anything u
> throw out to beat it will be coutered. I would be grateful for any help
> given on how to beat this deck.

From a practical standpoint, most things have been mentioned.

If you can get it out, Choke would be particularly nasty, preventing Islands from
untapping. Perhaps combo it with that nice red card that makes your next spell
uncounterable.

Unless the blue deck's kill strategy is getting rid of your library (milling), try
Roots of Life as an odd choice. You counter my stuff? I'll just gain life instead.
Hopefully, your life-gain outlasts thier counterspelling and damage.

Flashback might be a good idea in general, forcing them to have 2 counterspells
for every one of your flashback cards.

Things that con't actually cast things have been mentionned. The joys of Aether
Vial and Elvish Piper and Quicksilver Amulet (And Dragon Arch for multi-coloured
stuff)

From a fun standpoint, I can envision a 3-colour Sliver deck using Root and
Crystalline Slivers. Uncounterable and untargettable Slivers should annoy
a blue mage considerably, forcing him to rely on mass removal. Perhaps a Ward
Sliver set to Blue for good measure. Add some things that can help and pump
your stuff a bit (Shared Triumph comes to mind with an all-Sliver deck) and you
might have a pretty good anti-blue deck.

O:f course, simple speed and enough weenies may work. *shrug*, as would
a fast burnage deck I reckon. Sounds like this is more of a strategy issue, but
I could be wrong

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
Crystalline Roots -- Bane of Blue.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 4:46:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

No one can beat it? I am impressed.

I dont know how serious you are about playing, but if you play just for fun,
one solution would be not to play him anymore. Or play in the aeas where
it's been banned.
Unless it has turned into a kind of 'obsession' for you to beat that
annoying blue deck...whipe that grin of his face....crush his ego...and more
phrases like that.

> i know its not a good idea to build a deck to kill a specific deck but
this
> deck is really annoying me. no-one can beat it. its even been banned in
> certain areas
>
> sp
>

> "Elephant" <cleaner@codocadNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > If you play red, there a some nice anti-blue cards:
> > Price of Glory ( odessy )
> > Red Elemental Blast
> > Pyroblast
> > Burnout
> > Sirocco
> >
> > You could also make a green deck with creatures that can't be countered:
> > Blurred Mongoose
> > Gaea's Herald
> > Insist ( sorcery )
> > Kavu Chameleon
> > Root Sliver
> > Vexing Beetle
> >
> > Or try to gain control of the game as early in the game as possible.
More
> > small green creatures then he can counter, once there out he has to do
> > somothing to stop them, meaning he wont have mana left for counters ( if
> you
> > play green you probably have more mana ). Or put in black to make him
> > discard. Duress is always a good card, pick out a nasty counter on turn
> one,
> > use other means of discarding to gain card advantage.
> >
> > But now I assume you have a lot af cards to pick from.
> >
> > In general, its not the best idea to make a deck that is good against a
> > specific deck.
> >
> > "sp" <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> schreef in bericht
> > > i need help with beating a blue deck. This deck is very nasty and
> nothing
> > > do seems to effect it. the deck has a lot of couterspells. anything
> > > throw out to beat it will be coutered. I would be grateful for any
help
> > > given on how to beat this deck.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > sp

May 30, 2004 5:40:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

thanks everyone who has postd on here. i will now build a deck with some of
the cards u have mentioned. the reason im trying to kill this deck is
because no one has beat it and i see it as a challenge. I have made a green
deck and have posted it on the internet, tell me what u think.

http://www.essentialmagic.com/Decks/View.asp?ID=245030

this is one of the first decks i built and has had numerous changes since it
was created. tell me what u think of it.
Also, a good web site i use to purchase magic cards is www.cardsuneed.com
they seel cards in singles and in expansion packs. Again thanks for
everyones help and i'll keep u posted.

sp

"sp" <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> wrote in message
> i need help with beating a blue deck. This deck is very nasty and nothing
> do seems to effect it. the deck has a lot of couterspells. anything u
> throw out to beat it will be coutered. I would be grateful for any help
> given on how to beat this deck.
>
> thanks
>
> sp

May 31, 2004 4:55:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc,rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

(Crossposted due to it becoming a strategy issue. Strategy-related posts should go to
the strategy group alone.)

"sp" <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> wrote in message news:evluc.109$ps4.86@newsfe3-gui...
> thanks everyone who has postd on here. i will now build a deck with some of
> the cards u have mentioned. the reason im trying to kill this deck is
> because no one has beat it and i see it as a challenge. I have made a green
> deck and have posted it on the internet, tell me what u think.
>
> http://www.essentialmagic.com/Decks/View.asp?ID=245030
>
> this is one of the first decks i built and has had numerous changes since it
> was created. tell me what u think of it.

*Snipped stuff*
I wouldn't say that out loud here if you don't want a big ol' flaming. Friendly advice.

(Deck list here for referrence)

20 Forest
1 Mobile Fort
3 Tangle Golem
2 Blastoderm
1 Boa Constrictor
1 Brontotherium
1 Enormous Baloth
1 Fangren Hunter
1 Femeref Archers
1 Living Hive
1 Plated Slagwurm
1 Redwood Treefolk
1 Tangle Spider
2 Tel-Jilad Archers
1 Trolls of Tel-Jilad
1 Viridian Shaman
1 Yavimaya Scion

2 Blanchwood Armor
1 Exoskeletal Armor
1 Living Terrain
1 Fog
1 Nourish
1 Oxidize
1 Primal Boost
1 Reclaim
1 Collective Unconscious
3 Creeping Mold
1 Invigorating Falls
1 Journey of Discovery
1 Monstrous Growth
1 Rampant Growth
1 Rejuvenate
1 Stream of Life
1 Vorrac Battlehorns

(Comments based on desire to beat that blue deck)

I doubt it'll do what you want it to. Untargetable creatures can still be countered, and
probably will be since that's the only time that they'd really be able to deal with them.
Eerything else can be bounced and countered at the recasting attempt.

Tangle Golem is a bit of a nice touch though. Free creature late-game to allow for
two fatties in a turn ... hopefully one getting through. Ditto with Living Hive.

I see a lack of cheap stuff could be a problem as you'll want to some good things out,
especially before the countering starts. See possibly about getting some more
mana-generating or mana-fetching. Talismans, Cameos, Vine Trellis, Mana-generating
Elves ... the drill. Krosan Tusker fits your deck nicely. It's a fattie that can be cycled
to fetch land. (The land fetching ability can only be Stifle-d).

Big fatties are good, but if you allow your opponent to have a hand full of counterspells
to stop them, you'll be screwed anyways.

I see alot of one-ofs. Unless that's part of the strategy, to keep them guessing, then
see about getting more copies of the better ones when you get the money.

Fog is okay, but unless you're trying to combo it, I doubt the blue-mage is going to
have a lot of fast weenies so Moment's Peace may be better. Or better still, you can
probably get rid of it entirely.

To stops things from being countered, play things that can't be countered. Root Sliver
is a nice 2/2 Uncounterable. Going back, you'll find Scragnoth, 5/4 (?) uncounterable.
I assune that there's others, but I'm too lazy to look them up.

Nimble Mongoose is untargettable for one green, and might break through early
countering attempts, to become a pain to get rid of later. And with stuff getting
countered left and right, you'll get threshold fast.

Perhaps some reusable creature generating like Nuisance Engine may be useful.
I may also see about something to bypass actually casting something. (Again
mentionned before, but useful all the same)

Some of the changes are taylored more for beating that blue deck, like the uncounterable
creatures while other strategy ideas are good general advice. Look over some ideas,
retool the deck a bit more if you see something that catches the eye, and if you make
enough changes, repost the deck.

Just a few mor than $0.02 CDN

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
What reality are we checking exactly?
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 3:18:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc,rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

I tried posting once, but it got lost.

One thing I suggested was cycling. Cycling can give you abilities that
can't normally be countered (except by the specialized Stifle).

Another, if you have a lot of mana, would be Flashback. That way, if they
squash the first spell, you can flash it back. For example Deep Analysis
lets you play the spell for mana, then flash it back for life. At the very
least, they had to use 2 counters to stop that spell.

Weenies is a good ploy. Something like Goblins that come out fast and
cheap, especially combined with that Overmaster card.

Another thing I was thinking was, run counters of your own! You can counter
counterspells! In fact, you can use that one card... Flash Point?
Something like that, one blue, counter target instant. Again, they could
counter that, but you've burnt two of their counter spells.

Also I liked the idea of the Man-Lands.

Anyway, some more ideas.
Peter
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 9:58:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc,rec.games.trading-cards.magic.strategy (More info?)

My best deck against blue was red green fires played with Rishadan
Ports. Birds of Paradise and Llanowar Elves get you more mana than the
blue deck, the ports tap his blue sources, and blurred mongoose and
kavu chameloeon cant be countered and will have haste. Blastoderm cant
be bounced. Call of the Herd needs 2 counterspells, and urzas rages
kill him off. Enjoy.

"Risser Family" <news@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<q98vc.14204$DG4.8535@fe2.columbus.rr.com>...
> I tried posting once, but it got lost.
>
> One thing I suggested was cycling. Cycling can give you abilities that
> can't normally be countered (except by the specialized Stifle).
>
> Another, if you have a lot of mana, would be Flashback. That way, if they
> squash the first spell, you can flash it back. For example Deep Analysis
> lets you play the spell for mana, then flash it back for life. At the very
> least, they had to use 2 counters to stop that spell.
>
> Weenies is a good ploy. Something like Goblins that come out fast and
> cheap, especially combined with that Overmaster card.
>
> Another thing I was thinking was, run counters of your own! You can counter
> counterspells! In fact, you can use that one card... Flash Point?
> Something like that, one blue, counter target instant. Again, they could
> counter that, but you've burnt two of their counter spells.
>
> Also I liked the idea of the Man-Lands.
>
> Anyway, some more ideas.
> Peter
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 4:36:17 PM

"sp" <i.will.kill.all.spammers@kissmyass.com> wrote in message news:<cAutc.200$yc4.87@newsfe5-win>...
> the tapping mana is a bit of a pain as he uses rewind so he gets the mana
> back. i think i might have to create a weenie deck and force him to use all
> his counter spells on blocking small creatures.
>
> again thanks for the help

Also, remember that if the Rewind gets countered, the rest of the
spell also does not resolve, so he doesn't get to untap his lands.

Creature decks that run the blue mage out of counterspells are often
the best strategy in this situation, especially if you have some way
to replenish the number of creatures in your hand. Curious Fish is a
good example. (Curiosity + any of a number of little blue critters).

Leon
!