Card game of a different sort.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

David Williams has made over $40,000 playing Magic. But that's chump change
compared to his latest payday.

Williams has placed second in this year's World Series of Poker, winning --
hold on to your seats -- $3.5 million. For reference, that's more than a
million dollars more than last year's WSOP WINNER won.

Here's the story:

http://www.pokerpages.com/blog/index.php?itemid=17&catid=2

----
"If President Bush is going to take credit for 'the invisble hand' [of
economics], then he's going to take the blame when 'the hand' gives him the
finger."
--From Fark.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

I sez:

<<

>David Williams has made over $40,000 playing Magic. But that's chump change
>compared to his latest payday.
>
>Williams has placed second in this year's World Series of Poker, winning --
>hold on to your seats -- $3.5 million. For reference, that's more than a
>million dollars more than last year's WSOP WINNER won.
>
>Here's the story:
>
>http://www.pokerpages.com/blog/index.php?itemid=17&catid=2

And just for confirmation that it's the SAME Dave Williams that plays Magic
(since there are plenty of guys named Dave Williams in the world)...the
Sideboard writeup of his 2001 Worlds Quarterfinal match (with picture, and yes
I know it's not his proudest moment):

http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=Worlds2001\467qf4

----
"If President Bush is going to take credit for 'the invisble hand' [of
economics], then he's going to take the blame when 'the hand' gives him the
finger."
--From Fark.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

From the Collected Witterings of Andy Jakcsy, volume 23:
> David Williams has made over $40,000 playing Magic. But that's chump
> change compared to his latest payday.
>
> Williams has placed second in this year's World Series of Poker, winning
> -- hold on to your seats -- $3.5 million. For reference, that's more
> than a million dollars more than last year's WSOP WINNER won.

2600 players compared to 900 last year. Good Gawd.

Do you know when the official video coverage will be going out?

--
Twelve points to ... SLOVENIA!

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

David Chapman sez:

<<
>From the Collected Witterings of Andy Jakcsy, volume 23:
>> David Williams has made over $40,000 playing Magic. But that's chump
>> change compared to his latest payday.
>>
>> Williams has placed second in this year's World Series of Poker, winning
>> -- hold on to your seats -- $3.5 million. For reference, that's more
>> than a million dollars more than last year's WSOP WINNER won.
>
>2600 players compared to 900 last year. Good Gawd.
>
>Do you know when the official video coverage will be going out?

I don't know about other places, but ESPN will start airing it in July here in
the States (though it'll be about a week until they start with the big
tournament...and then it'll be another week before they start airing the final
table...)

I was so excited about Dave getting 2nd, I forgot to mention that former
Swedish National Champ (of Magic) Mattias Andersson also made the final table
(he finished 8th, and got knocked out by the eventual champ, Greg Raymer).

----