New Campaign Goal

Last response: in Video Games
September 21, 2005 10:17:01 AM

I'm looking for our next great campaign goal, and was wondering if people
would mind spilling the beans about their current campaign goals. Just "in
a nutshell" type of stuff.

EG: A recent campaign goal we had: Prevent an evil megalomaniac from
destroying a nation in his bid for immortality.

So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

More about : campaign goal

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:05:43 AM

Jeff Goslin wrote:
> I'm looking for our next great campaign goal, and was wondering if people
> would mind spilling the beans about their current campaign goals. Just "in
> a nutshell" type of stuff.
>
> EG: A recent campaign goal we had: Prevent an evil megalomaniac from
> destroying a nation in his bid for immortality.
>
> So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?

At the moment, that would be "find time to play." The gaming drought
continues. I'm on Month 8, I believe.

The idea I've been kicking around is a d20 Modern thing; episodic urban
fantasy with more than a little pulp thrown in; basically the love
child of George Romero and Neil Gaiman. I really like Ron's
"Deliverance meets Yuan-Ti" idea as an opener. Not sure about
metaplot; I'd like to avoid a save-the-world motif for once.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

This campaign never got off the ground, but here goes.

1. Make your way to the magic shield. Nothing may pass through the
shield, so camp there until it disappears (it's been there for
centuries, but it will fail soon)
2. Race to the center of the shielded area, to retrieve the artifact
that creates the sheild.
3a. Fight your way back home, artifact in tow.
3b. Oops, you lost the race. Fight your way to the artifact. then
go to 3a.
4. Realise the artifact is powered by super-rare gemstones, go find
some.
5. Realise artifact was, in fact, protecting your world from an
invasion of nasties.
6. Fight your way back to the invasion point, with the artifact and
the giant gemstone.
7. Replace the artifact and the (new) gemstone. This is likely to
be a suicide mission, since once the gemstone is in place, you're
trapped inside the shield. Epic level sacrifice and RP opportunity.

The artifact in question was powered by gems, with the largest gem in
it determining the size of the shield, and the total value of gems
determining the lenght of time the shield would function. To get a
1,000 year reprieve from invasion, you needed to find a huge gem of
huge value. on the other hand, If you just wanted to protect your
local city for a few days, a handful of large diamonds would do the
trick. Also, while powered, the artifact was complete immovable, which
is why you can't just turn it on and walk home with it. On the other
hand, resting while you had it was easy, once you knew what value worth
of gems would protect you for 8 hours. No need for guards.
September 21, 2005 2:13:57 PM

I dropped my characters in a universe where the dark god, Morgaur, had
defeated the forces of good. To maintain his iron-fisted grip on the
planet, he established a "Serve or Die" policy: his psychic mages would
detect powerful magic users and hunt them down, then give them a
choice. They could serve the dark god or die. Lots of mages died. Those
that remain live in secrecy, and have generally fled to the furthest
reaches of the continent, in an effort to escape the probing eyes of
the psychic mages.

The dark god's forces collected all the magical items they could find
(including artifacts) and either destroyed them or hoarded them in a
massive chamber in his personal lair. Those items that were not
destroyed were reserved for the use of those who served the dark god,
and they are never given anything with enough power to make them a
threat to the upper echelons. At puberty, young men were conscripted
into the army, or forced to serve in as armorers, smiths, miners, etc.,
in order to support Morgaur's massive war machine. (The general
populace didn't know that he had only conquered one continent--and that
several others were on his list.)

There was, however, the Resistance. This secretive group (much like the
Rebels in Star Wars) were fighting Morgaur's armies with everything
they had, from hidden lairs scattered throughout the continent.

The party's goal was to find a Resistance cell, join them (which
required earning their trust), and help to find a way to wrest control
of the planet from a dark god whose only goal was to subjugate every
living creature to his will.

Fun!

(That campaign's still going.)
September 21, 2005 4:26:01 PM

> So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?

Several campaigns (some never-finished, etc.)

1. Save a race of good dragons from extinction

2. Destroy a powerful teleport nexus that could drop an army on the village
doorstep

3. Fight to topple an evil orcish empire

4. Fulfill elements of a prophecy ... whose importance is not yet known

5. Return home and live a quiet life after having been invaded and turned
into refugees

6. Stop a dreadful psychic disease near a famous volcano

Spinner
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 5:54:21 PM

In article <Ms-dnekHKaTkrqzeRVn-hA@comcast.com>, autockr@comcast.net
says...

> I'm looking for our next great campaign goal, and was wondering if people
> would mind spilling the beans about their current campaign goals. Just "in
> a nutshell" type of stuff.
>
> EG: A recent campaign goal we had: Prevent an evil megalomaniac from
> destroying a nation in his bid for immortality.
>
> So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?

The campaign I finished this summer: stop the shade invasion of Faerun
that is backed by a deicidal goddess.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

"Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for our next great campaign goal, and was wondering if
> people
> would mind spilling the beans about their current campaign goals.
> Just "in
> a nutshell" type of stuff.
>
> EG: A recent campaign goal we had: Prevent an evil megalomaniac
> from
> destroying a nation in his bid for immortality.
>
> So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?
>
> --
> Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> It's not a god complex when you're always right

Two worlds came together through the use of a portal system.

One where teh standard PHB gods ruled, and the other my campaign world
where the entire pantheon is constructed.

The God of death, had stepped down, in my world as he found a way to a
place where he could gain more followers, and more power.
This place was a third world not mentioned. So it, left a vaccum in my
pantheon for a god of death.

A young follower of Nether, the current but "retired" god of death,
Lady Sanguine Frostkill, halfling cleric of Nether found a way to
become an God.
And Nether even blessed her, which would have allowed her to take his
place, if she could finish the ritual of immortality.

In a previous campaign arc, we played the players had a hand in
unleashing an Elder Mind Flayer God. Yes, the Illithid have gods, but
only one god
and he was trapped deep within a prison constructed to keep him, and
psionic abilities from the world.

Anyway, the EMFG decided since he was pissed to have his followers
kidnap the girl, and take her to the other world.

Somehow they failed, and she ended up in an unknown place.

The players from the other world were having problems of their own,
several hidden shrines, and temples to Nurell had been discovered
when a few seemingly impossible to destroy undead began to pour out of
them, striking at the hearts of towns, cities, and castles.

The players did their work and located the shrines, and got rid of the
dead that they could destroy, but one and only one of them find a clue
to what was really going on.
A Yaun-ti cleric of the Reaper, had been captured, and she was
screaming about how he had abandoned her, how the reaper would not
answer any of their prayers
and how the dead they had controled for so long were breaking free.

With that in mind, they delved further, and found that each of the
"unstoppable" undead had strange runes carved into their bones, over
the marks of the Reaper.

It seemed someone else was exerting control over the Reaper's pawns.
So the Reaper sent his "children" 3 aspects of him, The Murderer, The
Jester, and tThe Darkness to my world
to hunt for this "invader" in the process the players followed in
hopes to stop them, find this "Godling" and get her to ascend. In
addition they all had to deal with the EMFG and his minions.

We stopped the game just shortly after their arrived in my world, and
had a face to face battle with THe Murderer, they found one half of a
series of books needed to attain godhood in my world, and a few
daggers that were also needed in the ritual, and in the end The
Murderer (a mortal aspect of the Reaper) was executed for his crimes
against both worlds, (A killing spree that was no less than 700 people
in a weeks time, he lived up to his name)

Still to come, if we ever get the time, is to locate the second half
of the books, the "Godling" and find out what mess the Jester and
Darkness have made of the surrounding lands while they were dealing
with The Murderer.

This was setup as a way to link both worlds, so both DMs might have a
chance to share responsibilty for a single group of characters,
switching off between adventures to allow for less DM burn out, plus
it was giving me a chance to test out some of my campaign stuff.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 7:20:10 PM

Jeff Goslin <autockr@comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for our next great campaign goal, and was wondering if
> people would mind spilling the beans about their current campaign
> goals. Just "in a nutshell" type of stuff.

My players have just set off on a world tour. They were working as
auxiliaries in a Roman
  • legion, until the Rhine froze over and hordes
    of hungry barbarians shattered the local imperial forces. (The PCs were
    on river watch that day.) They helped the local villagers get through
    the initial onslaught, then investigated a dwarven research lab that had
    been breached by the barbarians. They discovered that the dwarves are
    developing warforged and that some dwarves worship mind flayers and
    nasty Egyptian gods.

    In this campaign, elans are descended from a group of Tibetan Buddhists
    who learned to implant illithid larvae without suffering the usual ill
    effects. My wife is playing an elan, mentioned that she might like to
    visit Tibet, and the other players thought it was a great idea. So now
    they're working their way around the world, leaving the Empire behind
    until things settle down a bit. On their way to Africa, they learned
    that barbarians are enlisting evil dragons to fight the imperials, and
    the dwarves are fighting back with devils.

    They'll probably reach Tunis next session and Egypt the session after,
    unless they take a side trip through the Sahara and the Congo to visit
    the elemental plane of fire (which lies just south of Africa). Either
    way, there'll be lots of psionic wackiness; githzerai in Numidia,
    githyanki in Egypt, and yuan-ti in the Congo if they go that far south.

    After that, I expect them to head through Arabia, Persia, and India
    before finally arriving in Tibet. Dunno where they'll go from there;
    maybe press onward to Cathay and head back along the silk road, or maybe
    follow the great disc all the way around to Russia, Scandinavia, and
    back to the Rhine.

  • The "Romans" are actually dwarves.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    > After that, I expect them to head through Arabia, Persia, and India
    > before finally arriving in Tibet. Dunno where they'll go from there;
    > maybe press onward to Cathay and head back along the silk road, or maybe
    > follow the great disc all the way around to Russia, Scandinavia, and
    > back to the Rhine.

    Any chance they'll discover America? Or ... umm ... Canada?

    Spinner
    Anonymous
    September 21, 2005 8:27:04 PM

    Spinner wrote:
    > Any chance they'll discover America? Or ... umm ... Canada?

    That's unlikely, since the world map looks like this:
    http://www.route66ad.com/images/roman_map.jpg
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    Jeff Goslin wrote:
    > I'm looking for our next great campaign goal, and was wondering if people
    > would mind spilling the beans about their current campaign goals. Just "in
    > a nutshell" type of stuff.
    >
    > EG: A recent campaign goal we had: Prevent an evil megalomaniac from
    > destroying a nation in his bid for immortality.
    >
    > So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?

    A shadowy figure is uniting otherwise-warring evil humanoids with a new
    religion that preaches "togetherness" against the good & neutral
    humanoids. Find out who/what is behind it and defeat it, if possible.
    Anonymous
    September 21, 2005 10:42:24 PM

    Jeff Goslin wrote:
    > I'm looking for our next great campaign goal, and was wondering if people
    > would mind spilling the beans about their current campaign goals. Just "in
    > a nutshell" type of stuff.
    >
    > EG: A recent campaign goal we had: Prevent an evil megalomaniac from
    > destroying a nation in his bid for immortality.
    >
    > So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?

    Current campaign I am playing in began with the premise that the god
    were all dead, but had existed at one time. There was a godwar, the
    evil gods won, but in a Dark Crystal like moment of revelation they
    realized that with the good gods all gone they themselves were fading
    from existence. Twilight of the gods.

    When the game started, there were no clerics, only druids. As time
    progressed, we began to discover mysterious giant pearls (about 6 inch
    diameter) of varied colors (black, yellow, green, and white so far).
    These pearls apparently are something akin to "godseeds" that contain a
    spark of the dead gods within. They are awakening, and when touched
    they will bond with whoever touches them. If the bond is fully accepted
    by the touching mortal, the godseed merges with them and they are
    altered (may rewrite entire character, swapping around stats and taking
    cleric levels if desired).

    So far most of the pearls have been evil-aligned, and no one has bonded
    with them (black appeared to be a death-god, yellow a disease-god). The
    green pearl was a nature-god, and the party druid bonded with it and
    altered to become a cleric. The white pearl we don't know much about
    but most of us feel it to be "good".

    Druids are a powerful faction in the world and at the campaign start we
    were working for the top druid on the continent, investigating these
    pearls and bringing them to him to study. Some time into the campaign,
    this druid was killed in ritual combat by a rival half-orc druid who
    took his place as head of the druidic order. He retained our services
    but seemed like a surly bastard to begin with (my character, Krass the
    chainfighting "tiefling", got along OK with him by some nice diplomacy
    rolls and a bout of drinking Orc Kragg). He has been using his power in
    the druidic order to move troops of orcs from his homeland into
    different areas of the civilized lands to help "quell unrest", and our
    suspicions are that he has been planting orc armies in to prepare for an
    invasion of the civilized lands. Those who question his motives keep
    disappearing, though. Funny, that.

    The ghost of the old druid came to us and told us that he had been
    poisoned by the half-orc prior to combat, which was a breach of the
    rules. He also revealed that the half-orc has seized his old collection
    of pearls, and is searching for the others so he can either bond with
    them or get his cronies to bond with them. We also learned that we are
    now on the half-orc's "Wanted" list, and are being hunted/searched for.
    So, we've been avoiding the local druids for the most part and more or
    less working towards the end of getting pearls before the half-orc does,
    evidently building up to a final conflict between him and his cronies
    and ourselves.

    - Ron ^*^
    Anonymous
    September 22, 2005 6:48:23 AM

    Jeff Goslin wrote:

    > I'm looking for our next great campaign goal, and was wondering if people
    > would mind spilling the beans about their current campaign goals. Just "in
    > a nutshell" type of stuff.
    > So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?

    Eberron: From the Wayfinder Foundation in Sharn, Rescue a House
    Lyrandar Dragonmarked Heir leading another party whose airship
    went down in Xen'drik.
    September 22, 2005 6:56:22 AM

    Alien mind control rays made Jeff Goslin <autockr@comcast.net> write:
    > I'm looking for our next great campaign goal, and was wondering if people
    > would mind spilling the beans about their current campaign goals. Just "in
    > a nutshell" type of stuff.
    >
    > EG: A recent campaign goal we had: Prevent an evil megalomaniac from
    > destroying a nation in his bid for immortality.
    >
    > So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?

    kill things, take their stuff.

    i've tried to let this campaign be player-driven, in that there is no
    goal except what the party wants to do. but they're a pretty factious
    lot, and have been content to travel, help some people, kill a lot of
    others, and get stinking rich.

    --
    \^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/&gt;
    \ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Jeff Goslin wrote:

    > I'm looking for our next great campaign goal, and was wondering if people
    > would mind spilling the beans about their current campaign goals. Just "in
    > a nutshell" type of stuff.
    >
    > EG: A recent campaign goal we had: Prevent an evil megalomaniac from
    > destroying a nation in his bid for immortality.
    >
    > So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?

    Player’s Introduction – Eberron 3.5 Game
    The Wayfinder Foundation
    "The Elder of House Lyrandar"

    FADE IN:
    INT. CITY OF SHARN, BEYLISK TOWER, THE WAYFINDER FOUNDATION
    - NIGHT

    A small illuminated crystal sphere is delivered by messenger to
    the players while they are seated around a conference table having
    a smoke and glass of wine after a sumptuous dinner. As the players
    look on, the sphere glows and swirls with color... soon the colors
    are reflected on the walls of this library-like conference hall,
    and the players find themselves drawn to look into the sphere.
    Suddenly, a brilliant flash of light fugues into the room, coming
    from everywhere at once it would seem, and when the player's eyes
    adjust to the brilliant sunlight, they find themselves on:

    SMASH CUT TO:

    EXT. A LANDING PLATFORM IN THE MIDST OF A VAST AERIAL SHIPYARD
    - DAY

    The steady, strong wind, and sudden apparent change of altitude
    leave the players gasping in the cold fresh air as they survey the
    scene around them. The walls of Beylisk Tower have melted away,
    and night has been replaced with day. In the bright morning
    light, they look around and see a host of airships of various
    sizes and makes, all moored to various landing platforms. In the
    background, a score of House Lyrander airships take off, land, and
    flit into and out of view, coming and going, climbing, and diving,
    and gently approaching this anchorage. The enormous aerial
    shipyard and port is nestled within the vast confines of towering
    cumulonimbus clouds that dwarf the facility.

    The player's eyes are drawn to an approaching aged elderly
    half-elf tottering in the wind, with his long hair blown awry,
    being escorted by a younger half-elf artificier. Two warforged
    guardians stand watch in the background, at the foot of a
    gangplank leading to a small House Lyrander fastboat. The elderly
    half-elf shuffles until he is standing at the head of your
    conference table. He waves his hand in an intricate circular
    pattern and then points at the crystal sphere.

    A House Lyrander airship... Burning... Spiraling downward in
    lazy circles. A terrible crash into a jungle glade.

    The aged half-elf wobbles, then Gul Dir' Tannith touches the table
    lightly to balance himself and speaks to you:

    GUL DIR' TANNITH
    I saw this yesterday. And this morning, I hope it was all a dream.
    (choking)
    Help me find my son...

    FADE TO:
    EXT. A LANDING PLATFORM IN THE MIDST OF A VAST AERIAL SHIPYARD
    (CONTINUOUS)

    The young artificier, Gul Dan' Tannith is holding the sobbing
    elderly half-elf.

    GUL DAN' TANNITH
    When I first heard... I didn't believe it was true. Perhaps it is
    a trick... to lure us away from Cloudcroft...
    (he frowns)

    GUL DAN' TANNITH (CONT'D)
    My brother was on that ship, it is the exploration vessel
    Windshard. Had a crew of seventy-three, and included a party of
    explorers. We sent her to Xendria, in search of a legendary
    dragonshard deposit.

    GUL DAN' TANNITH (CONT'D)
    We pay top rates in gold, of course... and there is a 20% salvage
    commission in it for you, if you can bring back the Windshard...
    more important though is my elder brother Ann Tir' Tannith,
    Dragonmarked Heir of House Lyrandar. Find him alive, and return
    him safely to Sharn, and the fastboat, Spindrift, that has already
    been dispatched to carry you to Xendria, is yours... as well as
    the gratitude of House Lyrandar.

    GUL DAN' TANNITH (CONT'D)
    You come highly recommended from Lord Boroman ir' Dayne. We have
    arranged a letter of credit in the amount of 5,000 gold sovereigns
    as an advance for your wages and to equip for your recovery
    expedition. When you are ready, you can contact us with the
    crystal. The Spindrift will arrive at the uppermost landing
    platform of Beylisk Tower the day after tomorrow. Be ready to
    depart then. Thank you. Thank you all, and may the Sovereign Host
    watch over you.

    SMASH CUT TO:
    INT: CITY OF SHARN, BEYLISK TOWER, THE WAYFINDER FOUNDATION
    - NIGHT
    The small illuminated sphere pulses softly with a glow as you
    suddenly find yourselves back in the Wayfinder Foundation
    conference room. It seems like a tiny place, even though this vast
    hall is home to more than 100 intrepid adventurers who trek to the
    remote regions of Eberron on various quests and journeys for
    honor, knowledge, fortune, and glory...
    Anonymous
    September 22, 2005 7:50:10 AM

    Jeff Goslin wrote:
    > I'm looking for our next great campaign goal, and was wondering if people
    > would mind spilling the beans about their current campaign goals. Just "in
    > a nutshell" type of stuff.

    Hmmm ... in a nutshell.

    Ex-paladin/Blackguard/Death Knight/Duke/General/Strategic Genius is
    (misguidedly) trying to "atone" for punching his Lord Emperor in the
    nose by proving that his strategic/tactical ideas were right all along
    and therefore the punch was justified.

    To that end, he has an Imperial border keep under siege and keeps
    pointing out its weaknesses (as managed by the Empire) one by one.

    The PCs are defenders of the keep and can't figure out why the
    besieging army keeps making these textbook perfect attacks and then
    retreats just before achieving complete victory.

    Silveraxe.
    Anonymous
    September 22, 2005 9:23:15 AM

    "Some Guy" <someguy@thedoor.gov> wrote in message
    > A shadowy figure is uniting otherwise-warring evil humanoids with a new
    > religion that preaches "togetherness" against the good & neutral
    > humanoids. Find out who/what is behind it and defeat it, if possible.

    Just out of curiousity, how do the PC's find out about this religion? I
    mean, by the time some "random group" gets to know about this sort of thing,
    it will pretty much be too late, won't it? By the time "random folks" are
    finding out about it, their villages are probably being overrun, right?

    --
    Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
    September 22, 2005 9:48:49 AM

    Not necessarily. They might be hearing about two bands of
    orcs/gnolls/trolls/bugbears/giants/duerro that were previously at each
    others throats, but who have laid down arms and raided a local village.
    That could reveal a clue or two.
    Anonymous
    September 22, 2005 1:58:14 PM

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:17:01 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
    <autockr@comcast.net> carved upon a tablet of ether:

    > So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?

    Discover source of the army that destroyed the PC's home village and
    their families. Work up through the ranks of those in charge, dealing
    with those responsible.

    --
    Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
    should be free."

    Jeff Goslin wrote:

    > So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?

    The Eberron game I'd like to run:

    The heroes are among the last veterans of the Last War - they were
    recruited/conscripted/constructed late in the game, and fought until the
    armistice. They may not have fought on the same side, but what they *do* have in
    common is that they weren't fighting long enough to have become truly
    embittered - merely to have been exposed to the bitterness of the veterans they
    met when they were fresh meat themselves.

    Ideally there would be at least one warforged in the party, and one former
    citizen of Cyre.

    The campaign would revolve around both the players characters' personal goals
    and the schemes of the Lord of Blades - I wouldn't run the Eberron adventure
    path, but I would take some inspiration from it and from the Eberron adventures
    in Dungeon Magazine for the character and attitude of the Lord of Blades'
    minions.

    An example of a random subplot: The warforged in the party is friendly with
    Steel (random name), an NPC warforged active in the cause of "warforged welfare"
    in Sharn. Steel is secretly an agent of and recruiter for the Lord of Blades,
    and hires the PC warforged and his friends to investigate the "kidnapping" and
    "brainwashing" of Rivet (another random name), a well-respected member of the
    constructs' community.

    Rivet has actually been successfully proselytised by the cult of the Blood of
    Vol; searching for meaning in warforged existence, he's found himself attracted
    to the idea that he can have a purpose in life by helping the mortal races find
    salvation from death by spreading the Blood of Vol's teachings. Rivet seeks
    acceptance from the flesh races, and lacks the understanding of the "mortal
    experience" necessary to appreciating why the Blood of Vol is so controversial
    outside of Karrnath.

    As far as Steel is concerned, however, Rivet must be extracted - or, if
    necessary, killed - because just prior to his disappearing into the Blood of
    Vol's clutches, he had almost been converted to the service of the Lord of
    Blades. Thinking he was a sure thing, Steel had spoken to Rivet of secret plans
    and schemes against the kingdom of Breland that should not have been revealed,
    and he's now fearful of his master's retribution should it be discovered what
    Rivet knows. Meanwhile, Rivet's spiritual mentor in the Blood of Vol has just
    become aware of what the new convert knows, and has informed the Emerald Claw of
    this new resource . . .

    In the long term, the party would come to grips with the threat posed to Breland
    and the rest of Khorvaire by the Lord of Blades and his nascent warforged
    nation. Perhaps I would steal from "Star Trek: The Next Generation", and have a
    group of disaffected former followers of the Lord of Blades lurking in the
    Mournland as potential allies of the PCs. In the two-part episode "Descent", the
    rebels were Borg who had been mutilated by Data's brother Lore in his quest for
    a way to make the Borg fully artificial; their warforged analogues could have
    been similarly damaged by the Lord of Blades' attempts at improvement (and
    resentful that he only seeks to "upgrade" himself when the process is perfected,
    casting them aside) or perhaps warped by unforeseen effects of the Mournland
    upon the warforged (what, am I borrowing from Lex Luthor getting cancer from his
    kryptonite ring, thinking its radiation didn't harm humans because there were no
    observable short-term effects, now?).

    The climax of the campaign would be the defeat of the Lord of Blades. This could
    as easily be a shattering of his power and a loss of his following as it could
    be his destruction, however; an ideal resolution would see the party negotiating
    some sort of safe haven outside of the Mournland for those warforged who still
    seek a nation of their own (if the Mournland is the cause of the damage done to
    the warforged rebels), or international recognition of the warforged
    settlement's sovereignty (fun with Cyran avengers, yay!).

    --
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia

    SERENITY - The Future Is Worth Fighting For

    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigec...
    http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatel...
    September 22, 2005 4:48:40 PM

    >>> After that, I expect them to head through Arabia, Persia, and India
    >>> before finally arriving in Tibet. Dunno where they'll go from there;
    >>> maybe press onward to Cathay and head back along the silk road, or maybe
    >>> follow the great disc all the way around to Russia, Scandinavia, and
    >>> back to the Rhine.
    >
    > Spinner wrote:
    >> Any chance they'll discover America? Or ... umm ... Canada?
    >
    > That's unlikely, since the world map looks like this:
    > http://www.route66ad.com/images/roman_map.jpg
    > --
    Cool. 'D'you make that yourself?

    Of course, that's what the players *think* the world looks like... right?

    Spinner
    Anonymous
    September 22, 2005 11:56:45 PM

    Spinner wrote:
    > Cool. 'D'you make that yourself?

    No. It's a facsimile of a Roman map that you can find in a few different
    versions and places online. I created my own (huge) version on a
    flip-chart sheet.

    > Of course, that's what the players *think* the world looks like... right?

    No. The world is a disc about 2,500 miles across. It borders on the
    elemental plane of fire to the south, water to the west, and air to the
    north.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    Alien mind control rays made Spinner <bprentic@uwo.ca> write:
    > > That's unlikely, since the world map looks like this:
    > > http://www.route66ad.com/images/roman_map.jpg
    >
    > Of course, that's what the players *think* the world looks like... right?

    why would you think that?

    --
    \^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/&gt;
    \ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    // \ X-Windows: Complex non-solutions to simple non-problems.
    // \_\ -- Dude from DPAK
    September 23, 2005 2:59:39 PM

    >> > That's unlikely, since the world map looks like this:
    >> > http://www.route66ad.com/images/roman_map.jpg
    >>
    >> Of course, that's what the players *think* the world looks like... right?
    >
    > why would you think that?

    'Cause my poor narrow brain can't possibly conceive of the concept of an
    actual flat world with actual historical lands not in their actual
    historical places?

    Stick.

    Spinner
    September 23, 2005 3:00:11 PM

    > Bradd wrote:
    >>> That's unlikely, since the world map looks like this:
    >>> http://www.route66ad.com/images/roman_map.jpg
    >
    > Spinner wrote:
    >> Cool. 'D'you make that yourself?
    >
    > No. It's a facsimile of a Roman map that you can find in a few different
    > versions and places online. I created my own (huge) version on a
    > flip-chart sheet.

    Lovely!

    >> Of course, that's what the players *think* the world looks like... right?
    >
    > No. The world is a disc about 2,500 miles across. It borders on the
    > elemental plane of fire to the south, water to the west, and air to the
    > north.
    > --
    Couldn't afford earth, eh?

    Spinner
    Anonymous
    September 23, 2005 8:17:44 PM

    Spinner wrote:
    > Lovely!

    Yeah, that's worked out well. It offers plenty of room to record names
    of kingdoms/provinces, major cities, rivers, and dominant races. Very
    helpful given our current campaign direction (world tour).

    >>> Of course, that's what the players *think* the world looks like... right?

    >> No. The world is a disc about 2,500 miles across. It borders on the
    >> elemental plane of fire to the south, water to the west, and air to the
    >> north.

    > Couldn't afford earth, eh?

    The elemental plane of earth is under the topsoil. There's a bit of
    disagreement about what's under that. Some folks think there's a big
    turtle holding it all up, or maybe an elephant. The hobgoblins and elves
    believe that there's an underworld, but the dwarves insist that Pluto's
    realm is actually to the west, beyond the plane of water. So far, the
    gods aren't telling, and nobody can teleport far enough to discover the
    truth.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    Spinner <bprentic@uwo.ca> wrote:
    > 'Cause my poor narrow brain can't possibly conceive of the concept of
    > an actual flat world with actual historical lands not in their actual
    > historical places?

    They're in their historical places, just not quite the same shape. Plus
    the whole western hemisphere is missing (or maybe it's just on the other
    side of the disc?).
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    Telendil Silverleaf drückte sich sehr genau aus :
    > I dropped my characters in a universe where the dark god, Morgaur, had
    > defeated the forces of good. To maintain his iron-fisted grip on the
    > planet, he established a "Serve or Die" policy: his psychic mages would
    > detect powerful magic users and hunt them down, then give them a
    > choice. They could serve the dark god or die. Lots of mages died. Those
    > that remain live in secrecy, and have generally fled to the furthest
    > reaches of the continent, in an effort to escape the probing eyes of
    > the psychic mages.

    Urgl, sound like Star Wars.

    > There was, however, the Resistance. This secretive group (much like the
    > Rebels in Star Wars) were fighting Morgaur's armies with everything
    > they had, from hidden lairs scattered throughout the continent.

    Yeah, right.

    "I am a Jedi, feel the force, ladies!"
    or
    "Dark the other side is, Dark it is - Yoda, stop complaining and eat
    your toast"

    > The party's goal was to find a Resistance cell, join them (which
    > required earning their trust), and help to find a way to wrest control
    > of the planet from a dark god whose only goal was to subjugate every
    > living creature to his will.

    Well, I would once like to be in a group of evil people who have to
    overthrow a good god/ruler.
    That would be fun ;-)

    --
    Yes, Yes, more of the DnD flavor.
    MC Beholder on the mike, DJ Mindflayer kicking it massive

    Alien mind control rays made Spinner <bprentic@uwo.ca> write:
    > 'Cause my poor narrow brain can't possibly conceive of the concept of an
    > actual flat world with actual historical lands not in their actual
    > historical places?

    ah, see, there's your problem.

    --
    \^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/&gt;
    \ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    // \ X-Windows: Complex non-solutions to simple non-problems.
    // \_\ -- Dude from DPAK
    Anonymous
    September 24, 2005 2:52:40 AM

    In article <slrndj633t.jmn.bradd+news@szonye.com>, bradd+news@szonye.com
    says...

    > >> http://www.route66ad.com/images/roman_map.jpg
    > >
    > > Of course, that's what the players *think* the world looks like... right?
    >
    > No. The world is a disc about 2,500 miles across. It borders on the
    > elemental plane of fire to the south, water to the west, and air to the
    > north.

    Heh, I've recently had exactly the same idea: pseudo-historical D&D with
    an Old World map, bounded by elemental planes. Well, not exactly the
    same, since I did imagine the Elemental Plane of Earth being on the far
    East, but close enough.

    OK, it's not that unique (for example, the world of Exalted is pretty
    similar), but still, I think it could be a really nice twist.

    Could you be persuaded to tell us more about the campaign world (perhaps
    in a new thread)? Where do the non-humans fit, what's happening in the
    non-Roman world...? An short overview of the world situation.

    --
    Jasin Zujovic
    jzujovic@inet.hr

    Jasin Zujovic wrote:
    > Heh, I've recently had exactly the same idea: pseudo-historical D&D
    > with an Old World map, bounded by elemental planes. Well, not exactly
    > the same, since I did imagine the Elemental Plane of Earth being on
    > the far East, but close enough .... Could you be persuaded to tell us
    > more about the campaign world (perhaps in a new thread)?

    Sure. I'll start a new thread.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    Jeff Goslin <autockr@comcast.net> wrote:
    > I'm looking for our next great campaign goal, and was wondering if people
    > would mind spilling the beans about their current campaign goals. Just "in
    > a nutshell" type of stuff.
    >
    > EG: A recent campaign goal we had: Prevent an evil megalomaniac from
    > destroying a nation in his bid for immortality.
    >
    > So, anyone care to share the basics of their campaign?

    A few plots that satisfied moderately long campaigns/scenarios:

    Despite appearances, dragons aren't a *major* theme I usually use... but
    two of the more interesting campaigns I ran did make use of them.

    Dragon Lords

    The gods created the world and left dragons as caretakers of the
    world. Each Law (major facet of reality) is governed by dragons of
    a particular Court, which is ruled by a dragon of that type.

    I got rid of draconic color-coding and gave them abilities related
    to the Law embodied -- Sun dragons, Storm dragons, Magic dragons,
    Sea dragons, Beast dragons, etc. All dragons start off as little
    more than animals (low intelligence, etc.), and are in fact
    considered beasts rather than dragons. This is important.

    It was possible for a Lord to be challenged and defeated by another
    dragon. This led to changes in the Law governed by that Court --
    when the Lady of Magic took over, magic *changed*.

    A particularly competent human found and killed the Lord of Beasts
    (unknowingly, at that). The power was transferred to the human
    (who, uh, popped) and the power was catastrophically released. This
    caused a backlash that destroyed the minds of the Court -- there are
    no Beast dragons powerful enough to gather and control the power
    left.

    Now, similar things have happened in the past. These caused major
    changes in the world, but after a couple of centuries a dragon
    matured and gained control of the Law and reestablished the Court.

    However, since in this case the *Beast Law* is broken, immature
    dragons are... not growing right. New races, bestial races, are
    coming into existance. This has the potential to destroy the world
    itself as the Laws unravel (dragons don't mature correctly, the
    Courts may eventually disappear as dragons to populate them stop
    being created, other Laws are affected, etc.)

    Into this mess the PCs show up. They gradually discovered enough
    about what happened to have an idea how to reestablish the Court and
    govern the Law again. (Basically, find enough of the macguffins to
    gather the power in one place and assume the mantle of Lord, while
    trying to stop others from doing the same thing for selfish
    reasons.)

    This one petered out after discovering what needed to be done and
    starting to do it.

    Dragonward

    The first story arc was that a nobleman -- a collector of
    antiquities -- has acquired a large stone with strange runes on it.
    His team of troubleshooters[1] were sent to the capitol to visit a
    relative at the University of Ter Liatri who might be able to
    provide some insight into what the stone was.

    The stone was deemed to be dwarvish, so off they went to the dwarven
    kingdoms. Turns out it was a Mountainheart, used in establishing
    the Dragonward[2]... it appears someone had removed it, possibly
    leading to the Dragonward failing and allowing the dragons back into
    the Empire.

    So, various running around gathering information needed to place the
    stone back where it belonged, lots of travel in the northlands
    (dodging dragons[3] and a burgeoning orc horde... led by the
    half-brother of one of the PCs and set on pillaging the Empire --
    setup for the next story arc). Found the place, replaced the stone,
    returned to the Empire.

    [1] in the Paranoia sense, in fact... they'd recently returned from a
    six-month trip to the southern continent because of a... mishap
    while performing a task for him. He concluded they were unsuitable
    for subtle tasks after that.

    [2] 1800+ years ago, some Great Heroes 'chased the dragons out'. The
    dwarven Runemasters then created this barrier across the entire
    northern mountain range to keep them there. The populace of the
    Empire, and even most dwarves, know nothing about this barrier,
    though there are still plays and religious demonstrations about the
    Great Heroes and their defeat of the dragons.

    [3] Many (most?) of the predatory niches in the northlands were taken
    over by dragons of various types. I modeled this by liberal use of
    the half-dragon template. The 'mountain lion' niche was filled by a
    half-dragon mountain lion, etc., but all were considered dragons.

    Trollskov

    After the Dragonward, the PCs were sent to Trollskov to help track
    down a murderer... who turned out to be a nobleman possessed by a
    powerful (discorporated) outsider who wanted to create a new body
    for itself and needed a bunch of hearts (39 hearts collected 1/week
    -- 3 * 13 * 7 days, basically, which explains how the Hergrav of
    Trollskov had time to send to his friend, the PCs' employer, for
    help) for the ritual.

    Long and short, the PCs got there, managed to figure out what was
    really happening (there were political and practical reasons the
    Hergrav's men couldn't do it), find the (now dispossessed) nobleman
    and find out what was *really* happening. (They'd thought up to
    this point it was just a crazed nobleman who murdered on a weekly
    basis and was collecting hearts for some weird reason.)

    Then, beat feet to the top of the tower to try to prevent the ritual
    from succeeding... which they sort of did[4], at the cost of most of
    the house. Explosives are fun, aren't they?

    Then hang around Trollskov for a while, since the passes were all
    snowed in, get hired to fetch a staff from a tower, etc. This is
    about where things left off.

    [4] the Huntress had 'originally most recently' (she's been around for
    centuries, but for the purposes of this scenario 'originally') the
    nobleman because he could be out and about (women in Trollskov are
    kept quite sheltered -- at least among the nobility). It was while
    possesssing him that the murders were performed and the hearts
    acquired. She needed to be in a female body to perform the ritual
    so she used the nobleman's sister for that purpose. The PCs showed
    up after the new form burst from the woman's body and eventually
    managed to force the Huntress to discorporate again.

    Keith
    --
    Keith Davies "Always code as if the guy who ends up
    keith.davies@kjdavies.org maintaining your code is a psychopath

    Jeff Goslin wrote:
    > "Some Guy" <someguy@thedoor.gov> wrote in message
    >
    >>A shadowy figure is uniting otherwise-warring evil humanoids with a new
    >>religion that preaches "togetherness" against the good & neutral
    >>humanoids. Find out who/what is behind it and defeat it, if possible.
    >

    > Just out of curiousity, how do the PC's find out about this religion? I
    > mean, by the time some "random group" gets to know about this sort of thing,
    > it will pretty much be too late, won't it? By the time "random folks" are
    > finding out about it, their villages are probably being overrun, right?

    One of them reads this group, so I can't give you more than the basic
    facts the group knows:

    1. Working at a distant trading post in a wilderness area, the players
    (who are employees) are sent to look an overdue caravan.

    2. They find the caravan destroyed and looted, and most of the people
    dead. They note that the fallen bodies of the attackers are (oddly)
    races which normally fight with each other, but which seem to be
    cooperating, such as orcs and goblins. One of the fallen bodies has an
    unusual carved symbol around its neck, which makes the good characters
    shiver when they touch it.

    3. The ranger is able to track the attackers back to their hideout, and
    by sneaking in they find hordes of orcs, goblins and (surprise!) dwarves
    all peacefully cohabiting, getting along without their usual bullying or
    genocide. The lair contains a strange shrine-like area, propitiating a
    deity no one has heard of before as evidenced by a Knowledge (Religion)
    check. A survivor of the caravan captured by the evil humanoids tells
    them he overheard some talk among the leaders about order that came from
    a place called the Bat Pits, which a Knowledge (Geography) check makes
    known to the wizard.

    4. They travel to and investigate the Bat Pits, which (to no one's
    surprise) contains bats, and further in some dire bats. The dire bats
    are all collared with iron yokes that look like dwarvish ironwork.
    Later they are attacked by a pair of kytons riding some dire bats as
    mounts (these are the only creatures with SR so far encountered).

    5. Deep in the Bat Pits they find a subterranean city of dwarves and
    orcs living in "harmony," all having abandoned Gruumsh and Moradin to
    worship some new deity called "The Holy Head." He seems to be a smooth,
    featureless face with dot eyes and a slit mouth. The temple of the Holy
    Head seems to be guarded by dwarves mounted on carrion crawlers, so the
    party has yet to come up with a plan to penetrate the temple, but they
    did use disguises to mingle with the populace and find out more about
    the religion from the inhabitants.

    That's where they are at present (I've compacted some of the events for
    the sake of brevity.)
    !