Order of Release question

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Hi,
Can someone tell me if this is the correct order of release for Magic, and
also where Portal III, Starter, Beatdown, Battle Royale, and Anthologies fit
in?

Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Revised, Legends, The
Dark, Fallen Empires, 4th Edition, Ice Age, Chronicles, Homelands,
Alliances, Mirage, Visions, 5th Edition, Weatherlight, Portal, Tempest,
Stronghold, Exodus, 6th Edition (Classic), Portal 2nd Age, Unglued, Urza's
Saga, Urza's Legacy, Urza's Destiny, Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, 7th
Edition, Invasion, Planeshift, Apocalypse, Odyssey, Torment, Judgment,
Onslaught, Legions, Scourge, 8th Edition (Core Set), Mirrodin, Darksteel,
Fifth Dawn.

Thanks,

Al (Dragon1950)

Dragon1950 <Dragon1950@#mchsi.com> wrote:

> Can someone tell me if this is the correct order of release for Magic, and
> also where Portal III, Starter, Beatdown, Battle Royale, and Anthologies fit
> in?
>
> Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Revised, Legends, The
> Dark, Fallen Empires, 4th Edition, Ice Age, Chronicles, Homelands,
> Alliances, Mirage, Visions, 5th Edition, Weatherlight, Portal, Tempest,
> Stronghold, Exodus, 6th Edition (Classic), Portal 2nd Age, Unglued, Urza's
> Saga, Urza's Legacy, Urza's Destiny, Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, 7th
> Edition, Invasion, Planeshift, Apocalypse, Odyssey, Torment, Judgment,
> Onslaught, Legions, Scourge, 8th Edition (Core Set), Mirrodin, Darksteel,
> Fifth Dawn.

Based on some of the timelines in the Magic Encyclopedias (which seem to
omit Legends in several places) and some lookups on the Wizards site for
things not dated in teh Encyclopedias, there are a few adjustments. The
dates with a period between month and year come from an Encyclopedia,
the other dates come from the Crystalkeep site.

Portal 5.97
Weatherlight 6.97

Portal Second Age 6.98
Exodus 6.98
Unglued 8.98
Urza's Saga 10.98
Anthologies 10.98
Urza's Legacy 2.99
Classic (Sixth Edition) 4.99

(I distinctly remember Urza's Saga starting the change in the trample
rule before Sixth Edition came out.)

Portal: Three Kingdoms May 1999
Urza's Destiny 6.99
Starter July 1999
Mercadian Masques 10.99
Battle Royale 11.99
Nemesis 2.00
Prophecy 6.00
Invasion October 2000
Beatdown December 2000
Planeshift February 2001
Seventh Edition April 2001
Apocalypse June 2001
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Thanks Daniel - I really appreciate ;^)
Al (Dragon1950)

"Daniel W. Johnson" <panoptes@iquest.net> wrote in message
> Dragon1950 <Dragon1950@#mchsi.com> wrote:
>
> > Can someone tell me if this is the correct order of release for Magic,
and
> > also where Portal III, Starter, Beatdown, Battle Royale, and Anthologies
fit
> > in?
> >
> > Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Revised, Legends,
The
> > Dark, Fallen Empires, 4th Edition, Ice Age, Chronicles, Homelands,
> > Alliances, Mirage, Visions, 5th Edition, Weatherlight, Portal, Tempest,
> > Stronghold, Exodus, 6th Edition (Classic), Portal 2nd Age, Unglued,
Urza's
> > Saga, Urza's Legacy, Urza's Destiny, Mercadian Masques, Nemesis, 7th
> > Edition, Invasion, Planeshift, Apocalypse, Odyssey, Torment, Judgment,
> > Onslaught, Legions, Scourge, 8th Edition (Core Set), Mirrodin,
Darksteel,
> > Fifth Dawn.
>
> Based on some of the timelines in the Magic Encyclopedias (which seem to
> omit Legends in several places) and some lookups on the Wizards site for
> things not dated in teh Encyclopedias, there are a few adjustments. The
> dates with a period between month and year come from an Encyclopedia,
> the other dates come from the Crystalkeep site.
>
> Portal 5.97
> Weatherlight 6.97
>
> Portal Second Age 6.98
> Exodus 6.98
> Unglued 8.98
> Urza's Saga 10.98
> Anthologies 10.98
> Urza's Legacy 2.99
> Classic (Sixth Edition) 4.99
>
> (I distinctly remember Urza's Saga starting the change in the trample
> rule before Sixth Edition came out.)
>
> Portal: Three Kingdoms May 1999
> Urza's Destiny 6.99
> Starter July 1999
> Mercadian Masques 10.99
> Battle Royale 11.99
> Nemesis 2.00
> Prophecy 6.00
> Invasion October 2000
> Beatdown December 2000
> Planeshift February 2001
> Seventh Edition April 2001
> Apocalypse June 2001
> --
> Daniel W. Johnson
> panoptes@iquest.net
> http://members.iquest.net/~panoptes/
> 039 53 36 N / 086 11 55 W

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Format Details (From Aug 93 to current day).
Written by Jim Grimmett on 30th January 2003.
Last changed by Jim Grimmett on 3rd July 2003.

Alpha, Beta (released Aug 93)

Unlimited (unl) (Released Dec 93)

Arabian Nights (AN) (released Dec 93)

Antiquities (AQ) (released Mar 94)

Revised (rev)(released Apr 94)

Legends (LE) (released Jun 94)

The Dark (DA) (released Aug 94)

Standard (Type II) was created around here.

Fallen Empries (FE) (released Nov 94)
ST: rev, DA, FE

4th (released Apr 95)
ST: 4th, DA, FE

Ice Age (IA) (released Jun 95)
ST: 4th, DA, FE, IA

Chronicles (CH) (released Jul 95)
ST: 4th, CH, IA, FE

Chronicles was viewed as 'an extension of the Basic set'
(http://www.classicdojo.org/news/april_1_first.html) and
would rotate out when 4th did.

Homelands (HL) (released Oct 95)
ST: 4th, CH, IA, FE, HL

Alliances (AL)
ST: 4th, CH, IA, FE, AL, HL

Mirage (MI) (released fall 96)
ST: 4th, CH, IA, FE, HL AL, MI

Fallen Empires and Ice Age were removed from Type II on 1st Jan 1997
(http://www.classicdojo.org/news/april_1_first.html) and it was
decided that when a block rotated in, one would leave. VI replaced HL.

Visions (VI)(released Feb 97)
ST: 4th, CH, MI, VI, AL

5th (1st may 97)
ST: 5th, MI, VI, AL

DCI changed Type II to contain two major blocks and bought IA and FE
back in until Tempest rotates in.
(http://www.classicdojo.org/news/may_announcement.html)

Extended was invented at Worlds 1997, PT Chicago '97 being the first
major tourney to use it.
(http://www.classicdojo.org/news/may_clarification.html)

Weatherlite (1st Jul 97) (WE)
ST: 5th, FE, IA, AL, MI, VI, WL
EX: 4th, CH, 5th, FE, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL

Tempest (TE) (1st Nov 97)
ST: 5th, MI, VI, WL, TE
EX: rev, 4th, CH, 5th, FE, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE
TBC: TE

Stronghold (ST) (1st Apr 98)
ST: 5th, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST
EX: rev, 4th, CH, 5th, FE, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST
TBC: TE, ST

Exodus (EX) (1st Jul 98)
ST: 5th, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX
EX: rev, 4th, CH, 5th, FE, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX
TBC: TE, ST, EX

Urza's Saga (US) (1st Nov 98)
ST: 5th, TE, ST, EX, US
EX: rev, 4th, CH, 5th, FE, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX,
US
UBC: US

Urza's Legacy (UL) (1st Mar 99)
ST: 5th, TE, ST, EX, US, UL
EX: rev, 4th, CH, 5th, FE, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX,
US, UL
UBC: US, UL

Classic (6th) (1st Jun 99)
ST: 6th, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD
EX: rev, 4th, CH, 5th, 6th, FE, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX,
US, UL
Urza's Destiny (UD) (1st Jul 99)
ST: 6th, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD
EX: rev, 4th, CH, 5th, 6th, FE, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX,
US, UL, UD
UBC: US, UL, UD

1st October 99, revised, 4th (and hence CH), FE and DA were removed
from Extended.

Mercadian Masques (MM) (1st November 99)
ST: 6th, US, UL, UD, MM
EX: 5th, 6th, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD,
MM, dual lands
MBC: MM

Nemesis (NE) (1st Mar 00)
ST: 6th, US, UL, UD, MM, NE
EX: 5th, 6th, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD,
MM, NE, dual lands
MBC: MM, NE

Prophecy (PR) (1st Jul 00)
ST: 6th, US, UL, UD, MM, NE, PR
EX: 5th, 6th, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD,
MM, NE, PR, dual lands
MBC: MM, NE, PR

Invasion (IN) (1st Nov 00)
ST: 6th, MM, NE, PR, IN
EX: 5th, 6th, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD,
MM, NE, PR, IN, dual lands
IBC: IN

Planeshift (PL) (1st Mar 01)
ST: 6th, MM, NE, PR, IN, PL
EX: 5th, 6th, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD,
MM, NE, PR, IN, PL, dual lands
IBC: IN, PL

7th (1st May 01)
ST: 7th,MM, NE, PR, IN, PL
EX: 5th, 6th, 7th, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD,
MM, NE, PR, IN, PL, dual lands
IBC: IN, PL

Apocalypse (AP) (1st Jul 01)
ST: 7th, MM, NE, PR, IN, PL, AP
EX: 5th, 6th, 7th, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD,
MM, NE, PR, IN, PL, AP, dual lands
IBC: IN, PL, AP

Odyssey (OD) (1st Nov 01)
ST: 7th, IN, PL, AP, OD
EX: 5th, 6th, 7th, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD,
MM, NE, PR, IN, PL, AP, OD, dual lands
OBC: OD

Torment (TO) (1st Mar 02)
ST: 7th, IN, PL, AP, OD, TO
EX: 5th, 6th, 7th, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD,
MM, NE, PR, IN, PL, AP, OD, TO, dual lands
OBC: OD, TO

Judgement (JU) (1st Jul 02)
ST: 7th, IN, PL, AP, OD, TO, JU
EX: 5th, 6th, 7th, IA, HL, AL, MI, VI, WL, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD,
MM, NE, PR, IN, PL, AP, OD, TO, JU, dual lands
OBC: OD, TO, JU

Standard rotates sets in and out every three sets but Extended
rotates sets in out our on a three block basis
(http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/news/20020517a).
With the introduction of Onslaught Block, Extended lost 5th edition
and the Ice Age and Mirage Blocks. WOTC finally removed the dual
lands from Extended at this time.

Onslaught (ON) (1st Nov 03)
ST: 7th, OD, TO, JU, ON
EX: 6th, 7th, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD, MM, NE, PR,
IN, PL, AP, OD, TO, JU, ON
OnBC: ON

Legions (LN) (1st Mar 03)
ST: 7th, OD, TO, JU, ON, LN
EX: 6th, 7th, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD, MM, NE, PR,
IN, PL, AP, OD, TO, JU, ON, LE
OnBC: ON, LN

Scourge (SC) (1st Jul 03)
ST: 7th, OD, TO, JU, ON, LN, SC
EX: 6th, 7th, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD, MM, NE, PR,
IN, PL, AP, OD, TO, JU, ON, LE, SC
OnBC: ON, LN, SC

8th (1st Sep 03)
ST: 8th, OD, TO, JU, ON, LN, SC
EX: 6th, 7th, 8th, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD, MM, NE, PR,
IN, PL, AP, OD, TO, JU, ON, LE, SC

8th edition was also legal for Worlds 2003 and Grand Prix
Atlanta 2003. Both fell in August and WOTC decided they'd
like Worlds to be the first tourney to use 8th for Standard
and Extended.

WOTC also changed the date that sets would become Standard and
Extended legal at this point
(http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/news/20030702a)

[Previously sets would become legal on the 1st Saturday of the next
month if the set's official sale date was before the 14th of the
month and the month after that if it was after the 14th].

Mirrodin (MR) (20th Oct 03)
ST: 8th, ON, LN, SC, MR
EX: 6th, 7th, 8th, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD, MM, NE, PR,
IN, PL, AP, OD, TO, JU, ON, LE, SC, MR
MiBC: MR

Darksteel (DS) (20th Feb 04)
ST: 8th, ON, LN, SC, MR, DS
EX: 6th, 7th, 8th, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD, MM, NE, PR,
IN, PL, AP, OD, TO, JU, ON, LE, SC, MR, DS
MiBC: MR, DS

Fifth Dawn (5D) (20th Jun 04)
ST: 8th, ON, LN, SC, MR, DS 5D
EX: 6th, 7th, 8th, TE, ST, EX, US, UL, UD, MM, NE, PR,
IN, PL, AP, OD, TO, JU, ON, LE, SC, MR, DS, 5D
MiBC: MR, DS, 5D

In article <HzAM39.FoM@bath.ac.uk>, Jim Grimmett <cssjwg@bath.ac.uk> wrote:
>Format Details (From Aug 93 to current day).
>Written by Jim Grimmett on 30th January 2003.
>Last changed by Jim Grimmett on 3rd July 2003.
>DCI changed Type II to contain two major blocks and bought IA and FE
>back in until Tempest rotates in.
>(http://www.classicdojo.org/news/may_announcement.html)

Homelands, not Fallen. (The link above confirms it.)

>Weatherlite (1st Jul 97) (WE)

Weatherlight

"Dave" <im@not.telling> wrote in message
> >>Onslaught (ON) (1st Nov 03)<<
>
> I think this was supposed to be Nov 02, correct?

Yep - typo :)

Cheers, Jim.

"Julian Lighton" <jl8e@fragment.com> wrote in message
> In article <HzAM39.FoM@bath.ac.uk>, Jim Grimmett <cssjwg@bath.ac.uk> wrote:
> >Format Details (From Aug 93 to current day).
> >Written by Jim Grimmett on 30th January 2003.
> >Last changed by Jim Grimmett on 3rd July 2003.
> >DCI changed Type II to contain two major blocks and bought IA and FE
> >back in until Tempest rotates in.
> >(http://www.classicdojo.org/news/may_announcement.html)
>
> Homelands, not Fallen. (The link above confirms it.)
>
> >Weatherlite (1st Jul 97) (WE)
>
> Weatherlight

Thanks for corrections.

Cheers, Jim.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Thanks Jim - This is awesome ;^) I got the corrections also. Thanks again,
Al (Dragon1950)

TRENDING THREADS