ATI 9700 Pro Installation Problem

MuzzleFlashes

Distinguished
May 31, 2003
I purchased an OEM ATI 9700 Pro on Ebay and it's turned into a nightmare. When I boot up, after the Windows XP logo I get a black screen with a little yellow square in the upper left corner. I installed the latest Mother Board drivers from the VIA website for my ASUS P3V4X. I have the latest BIOS revision. I have the minimum required 300W power supply. The only clue I have to go on is: after I installed the latest VIA drivers for my motherboard and I boot up with my old card, an ATI 7200, which works like a champ, I get the New Hardware Found Wizard that says "select to install software for the following new hardware: VIA Bus Master IDE drivers". I've tried searching my C: drive everywhere to find any drivers that might please this wizard but the wizard won't accept anything.
Any help would surely be appreciated. I'm starting to think that maybe I was sold a bad card.
Marty
Home made system:
800MH PIII
640 mg Sdram
SB Live Value
ASUS P3V4X Mobo
300 watt power supply

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Hmmm. have you tried the card in any other comps? If it works in other ones I would think your power supply, 300 really isnt enough

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
thats a good chance on what it is

and yes, 7200s were the best card back in the day. i owned one for a while, sits in my closet in a static bag... ill nevr throw it out

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Probably an incompatability with your VIA chipset. If I were you I would go and buy a BX or 815 mobo and that would probably solve your problem.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>