UK community / tournaments died ??

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Hi everyone,

I stopped buying magic cards at stronghold (a long time ago!) except
for the exodus prerelease i went to. I dont have any cards from any
later sets, although me and my family still play a lot with the cards
we have. (visions, mirage, weatherlight, tempest, stronghold)

I want to get back into magic (type 2 - i dont have the money to play
type 1), but I came back to this newsgroup and I can only find 2
venues for tournaments (southsea - hampshire, altrinchamgamers -
manchester). Has the magic community died or just moved offline? I
live in cambridge but am at university in sheffield, so I guess i
could make it to the manchester tournaments, but i couldnt go every
sunday.

Also, I would like to get hold of all the latest cards cheaply - I was
thinking of buying 4 of every common from the last 6 sets. Anyone know
wheres good for this sort of thing? Even a whole pile of unsorted
commons cheaply would be good enough. last time i was at a tournament,
some guy sold me 1000 unsorted commons for £10 (that was tempest, and
all the lotus petals had been taken..) I managed to find one set on
ebay, but that still leaves 5 to go..

3rd question - does anyone still play online? I mucked around with it
a bit a while back, but it was a very early version.

Cheers,
Mike

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

> I want to get back into magic (type 2 - i dont have the money to play
> type 1), but I came back to this newsgroup and I can only find 2
> venues for tournaments (southsea - hampshire, altrinchamgamers -
> manchester). Has the magic community died or just moved offline? I
> live in cambridge but am at university in sheffield, so I guess i
> could make it to the manchester tournaments, but i couldnt go every
> sunday.

Magic is very much alive, but Usenet isn't what it used to be. Don't
expect this newsgroup to be of help in finding local tournaments. I believe
there is a UK Magic newsgroup but even that is probably not overly
populated. I would just try calling up your local card store and asking when
they host Magic tournaments. Most of them should have something.

> Also, I would like to get hold of all the latest cards cheaply - I was
> thinking of buying 4 of every common from the last 6 sets. Anyone know
> wheres good for this sort of thing? Even a whole pile of unsorted
> commons cheaply would be good enough. last time i was at a tournament,
> some guy sold me 1000 unsorted commons for £10 (that was tempest, and
> all the lotus petals had been taken..) I managed to find one set on
> ebay, but that still leaves 5 to go..

Again, card stores often are happy to sell bulk quantities of commons.
Ask around. Ebay is another good source.

> 3rd question - does anyone still play online? I mucked around with it
> a bit a while back, but it was a very early version.

I don't play it myself, but I gather it's fairly popular. There seems to
have been some large bugs in the software that've hampered things lately but
it stills seems to be chugging along. And that's assuming you mean the
offical Magic Online game, there's also stuff like Apprentice that's pretty
popular too.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

"Chris Wiegert" <cwiegert@telus.net> schreef in bericht

****** snip *****

> I don't play it myself, but I gather it's fairly popular. There seems
> have been some large bugs in the software that've hampered things lately
but
> it stills seems to be chugging along. And that's assuming you mean the
> offical Magic Online game, there's also stuff like Apprentice that's
pretty
> popular too.

Other options to use are at the moment mtgplay, magic workstation and
lackeyccg.

locations:

www.mtgplay.com
www.magicworkstation.com
www.lackeyccg.com

to me the most advanced program is magicworkstation, and it is very actively
developped by a dedicated group of people.

Take a look at those. The most active players can be found on leagues like
magic-league, e-league and o-gaming.

www.magic-league.com
www.e-league.com
www.o-gaming.com

magic league is the most versatile with leaguegames for magic workstation
and apprentice, and in the near future possibly mtgplay.
e-league is apprentice specific, and o-gaming is for workstation play only

Greetz Nico

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Mike Parker <mikkeyp911@hotmail.com> sent:
> Hi everyone,

> I stopped buying magic cards at stronghold (a long time ago!) except
> for the exodus prerelease i went to. I dont have any cards from any
> later sets, although me and my family still play a lot with the cards
> we have. (visions, mirage, weatherlight, tempest, stronghold)

> I want to get back into magic (type 2 - i dont have the money to play
> type 1), but I came back to this newsgroup and I can only find 2
> venues for tournaments (southsea - hampshire, altrinchamgamers -
> manchester). Has the magic community died or just moved offline? I
> live in cambridge but am at university in sheffield, so I guess i
> could make it to the manchester tournaments, but i couldnt go every
> sunday.

You could try calling in at Patriot Games in Sheffield - even if they
don't run events, they're likely to know where to go to look. You may
also find that the Uni's sci-fi/fantasy society holds events or knows
about local events. There may be something closer than Manchester,
I know there used to be regular events in Doncaster that some of the
York crowd went to, and I'm sure I've seen a prerelease organised by
Travelling Man in Leeds (although I think it was held in Bradford?)

--
-- zoe

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On 30 Jun 2004 19:36:32 -0700, mikkeyp911@hotmail.com (Mike Parker)
wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I stopped buying magic cards at stronghold (a long time ago!) except
>for the exodus prerelease i went to. I dont have any cards from any
>later sets, although me and my family still play a lot with the cards
>we have. (visions, mirage, weatherlight, tempest, stronghold)
>
>I want to get back into magic (type 2 - i dont have the money to play
>type 1), but I came back to this newsgroup and I can only find 2
>venues for tournaments (southsea - hampshire, altrinchamgamers -
>manchester). Has the magic community died or just moved offline? I
>live in cambridge but am at university in sheffield, so I guess i
>could make it to the manchester tournaments, but i couldnt go every
>sunday.
>
>Also, I would like to get hold of all the latest cards cheaply - I was
>thinking of buying 4 of every common from the last 6 sets. Anyone know
>wheres good for this sort of thing? Even a whole pile of unsorted
>commons cheaply would be good enough. last time i was at a tournament,
>some guy sold me 1000 unsorted commons for £10 (that was tempest, and
>all the lotus petals had been taken..) I managed to find one set on
>ebay, but that still leaves 5 to go..
>
>3rd question - does anyone still play online? I mucked around with it
>a bit a while back, but it was a very early version.
>
>Cheers,
>Mike

there is one group in Doncaster that play once a month on Sundays
though I can never get up early enough to go.
I am assuming that things are a little slow at present whilst the
clear the Nationals. The PRO TOUR COLUMBUS qualifiers should start
soon

For cards I have used
http://www.coolstuffinc.com which are based in Orlando Florida but
they get card to you very quickly and with the dollar/pound rate being
good at the moment they are cheap for common and uncommon sets
rares are cheaper too.
I also use Firestormcards who are friendly and helpful, based in
Slough and Wales

"Mike Parker" <mikkeyp911@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I want to get back into magic (type 2 - i dont have the money to play
> type 1), but I came back to this newsgroup and I can only find 2
> venues for tournaments (southsea - hampshire, altrinchamgamers -
> manchester). Has the magic community died or just moved offline? I
> live in cambridge but am at university in sheffield, so I guess i
> could make it to the manchester tournaments, but i couldnt go every
> sunday.

The Magic community is very much alive. I'd have a quick look on
uk.games.trading-cards.misc for announcements, most of the Premiere
events and monthly tourney runners post on there.

I run monthly events in Bath, we have pre-releases, the occasional PTQ
and weekly FNM. Plenty is going on :)

Cheers, Jim.

TRENDING THREADS