This Newsgroup (Long)

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

For those that are unaware of a now pointless and ever degenerating thread
'Need database recommendation' this is an attempt at something constructive.

On the whole newsgroups should welcome people like David Chapman. Newsgroups
benefit from someone willing to put time and energy into maintaining their
spirit and I applaud that intent. My question is: is there an even better
way to approach this?

Recapping the other thread the trigger was something like:

JL: <mention of ebaying items in context of seeking database recommendation>
DC: "Don't try it here."

The opinions of this response are divided. Some think it was a polite,
friendly warning. Other's don't. IMO it was at least curt.

But more dangerous are the presuppositions that this response presents.
Presuppositions that could be accepted unconsciously by readers if left
unchallenged. (BTW for further insight into presuppositions and other
language patterns do a web search for 'NLP Meta Model').

Such presuppositions could be:
"You want to try it here."
"You are a spammer."

This is personally what I find unacceptable and unwarranted in this
instance. Maybe it's just David's stock reply and I read too much into it.
Maybe I could have challenged the presupposition directly rather than
assuming the intent.
e.g. "Why do you think I will try it here?"

Anyway - was a response warranted? And if so, is there an even better
approach that people like David could use?
e.g. "Readers, please note that actual discussion and posting of auctions is
off-topic. This is without prejudice to the OP."

I don't want to get all politically correct but maybe a healthy step back
and examination of what happened could be in order.

--
Remove all numbers from email address to reply

EJ

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 19:01:02 +0100, "Jonathan Lonsdale"
<jon-news44@jlonsdale55.net> wrote:

<snip>

>I don't want to get all politically correct but maybe a healthy step back
>and examination of what happened could be in order.

Do you really need to piss harder, faster, and farther than the next
guy? One of the best things that one can learn about using usenet is
how to walk away.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

From the Collected Witterings of Jonathan Lonsdale, volume 23:

> Recapping the other thread the trigger was something like:
>
> JL: <mention of ebaying items in context of seeking database
> recommendation
> DC: "Don't try it here."

Specifically, you said you had some cards to auction off. Some people will
take this as an invitation.

> The opinions of this response are divided. Some think it was a polite,
> friendly warning.

Some have seen me being impolite and unfriendly to the misguided fools who
actually did post an advert, too.

> But more dangerous are the presuppositions that this response presents.
>
> Such presuppositions could be:
> "You want to try it here."
> "You are a spammer."

Could be, if you enjoy not making sense. The correct presuppositions are:

"In your ignorance, you might try it here. Result: spam."
"Some other numbskull may take your mention of cards for sale as an
invitation to make offers. Result: spam."

Then we remember what happened to alt.cardgame.magic.

--
Twelve points to ... SLOVENIA!