MN-500 Issue

Let me begin by indicating that I am an IT consultant who
wrote the book, Planning for Windows 2000. My MN-500 is
exhibiting some odd behavior.

I've got the MN-500 hooked into my cable modem from Comcast
using two hard ethernet connections (no wireless). One is
for my PC and the other is for the Xbox.

In this scenario, the Xbox is served up an IP address from
the MN-500 via DHCP but the PC is not. I attempted to get
an IP served to the PC using standard methods (i.e ipconfig
/release, ipconfig /renew, power off MN-500, power off
cable modem, etc.)

Since it wouldn't get an IP, I assigned one in the range
that the MN-500 is serving up.

With this static IP, I am able to access internal and
external resources with no problem. However, after between
15 and twenty minutes, I can no longer access the internet
(from my PC). The Xbox still works perfectly.

I figured that perhaps I've got a bad port so I switched
between them all systematically. No matter which port the
PC is plugged into, I get the same results.

I'd configure the MN-500 as a bridge if Comcast didn't
charge extra for serving up more than one IP.

I've read here that some people are having issues with an
update to XP on http.sys. I'm running Windows XP SP2 with
all updates applied.

I cannot tell you that it worked prior to the update
because I just recently put the MN-500 into service.

Please respond with anything that may help.

Regards,
Eric K. Cone

can u post the output of ipconfig/all on the problematic machine here as a
reply please? (and yes, please try restoring back to before the http.sys
update)

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I'll have to post the ipconfig /all output when I get back
home--I'm at a clients office.

If I do not statically assign an address I get an
autoconfig address (as expected).

I'll also back out of the http.sys update (KB887742)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887742

jay

Have you restricted the scope of DHCP to just a few addresses on the MN-500?
If so, there may be no available addresses for DHCP to provide. Also, flush
those leased addresses from MN-500 by reducing lease time to 2 minutes.

--J