S-video out help (GeForce3 Ti500)

SurferX

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
I have a GeForce3 Ti500 and had a question about using the S-video out function when putting the computer image on TV. I notice that on my TV, the computer image gets sideways letterboxed to a 1:1 ratio instead of the 4:3 ratio. I am selecting the M/NTSC format and can't find any image "resize" function in the nVidia driver tools. All I have when I go to select Device Adjustments is image recentering. Is there any way to have the computer project a 4:3 image to the TV through S-video? I don't understand why it's going 1:1, since the resolution that it defaults to when selecting TV is a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is a problem with the TV-Out chips of many nVidia cards. The problem has been around forever, and only recently addressed by nVidia. They simply didn't care for all those years before this.

You can try either TV-Tool or TVCC, depending on your TV-Out chip, to fix the problem, but my experience is that when you do, you'll have problems with your monitor! dvd-digest.com has an nVidia tech zone somewhere on their site with those tools.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

SurferX

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
Thank you for your help. I have had this video card for awhile and am planning to go with one of the newer ATI DX9 cards in the near future. Any S-video out issues with any of those I should know about or do they all work fine with the proper aspect ratio?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
ati has always had superior video out quality. the picture size is still not perfect but if you install the control panel you can adjust it in small increments.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like the last guy said. ATI cards come much closer to fitting the TV screen than your current card, and you can touch up the adjustments with a tool in advanced display properties.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>