[media] Magic the Gathering surfaces as subculture

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

http://www.southjerseynews.com/issues/july/f071704b.htm

"Eleven years after its introduction by a Seattle area company, Wizards of the
Coast, Magic is the most successful game most Americans have never heard of -
unless their children have come under its spell. Played by more than 3 million
Americans and another 3 million people overseas, Magic has become a subculture
in more than 70 countries."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| The tusks that clashed in mighty brawls of mastodons are
| billiard balls./The sword of Charlemagne the Just is
Jeff Boes | ferric oxide, known as rust./The grizzly bear whose potent
jboes@qtm.net| hug was feared by all, is now a rug./Great Caesar's bust
| is on the shelf, and I don't feel so well myself.
|"On the Vanity of Earthly Greatness", A.Guiterman (1871-1943)

Jeff Boes <jboes@qtm.net> wrote:
>http://www.southjerseynews.com/issues/july/f071704b.htm
>
>"Eleven years after its introduction by a Seattle area company, Wizards of the
>Coast, Magic is the most successful game most Americans have never heard of -

Note that they _will_ generally have heard of Pokemon. And, probably, of
Yu-Gi-Oh. But Magic? Not unless they've encountered it or are related to /
friends with a player, yes...

>Magic has become a subculture in more than 70 countries."

Obviously, we need a cheesily produced Saturday morning cartoon show...

Dave

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

From the Collected Witterings of David DeLaney, volume 23:
> Jeff Boes <jboes@qtm.net> wrote:
>> http://www.southjerseynews.com/issues/july/f071704b.htm

>> Magic has become a subculture in more than 70 countries."
>
> Obviously, we need a cheesily produced Saturday morning cartoon show...

Or a tie-in with Upper Deck. "What do you mean, Galactus vs Bosh?"

--
Twelve points to ... SLOVENIA!

David Chapman <jedit_ojanen8@hotmail.com> wrote:
>From the Collected Witterings of David DeLaney, volume 23:
>> Jeff Boes <jboes@qtm.net> wrote:
>>> Magic has become a subculture in more than 70 countries."
>>
>> Obviously, we need a cheesily produced Saturday morning cartoon show...
>
>Or a tie-in with Upper Deck. "What do you mean, Galactus vs Bosh?"

Working...

Dave

David DeLaney wrote:
>>Magic has become a subculture in more than 70 countries."
>

> Obviously, we need a cheesily produced Saturday morning cartoon show...

Heh. Or maybe a tie-in with a reality show ...

"We put 12 Pro Tour players in a house for 30 days while they prepare
for the upcoming World Magic Championship Invitational ..."

Hmm, maybe not; I wouldn't watch it!

--
(Posted from an account used as a SPAM dump. If you really want to get
in touch with me, dump the 'jboes' and substitute 'mur'.)

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:35:49 +0100, "David Chapman"
<jedit_ojanen8@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Or a tie-in with Upper Deck. "What do you mean, Galactus vs Bosh?"

We already have one Worldgorger, thanks...

peter

Jeff Boes <jboes@qtm.net> wrote in message news:<qvllf056ovni0drad8pufdcdmlmp2c443i@4ax.com>...
> http://www.southjerseynews.com/issues/july/f071704b.htm
>
> "Eleven years after its introduction by a Seattle area company, Wizards of the
> Coast, Magic is the most successful game most Americans have never heard of -
> unless their children have come under its spell. Played by more than 3 million
> Americans and another 3 million people overseas, Magic has become a subculture
> in more than 70 countries."

"'I attacked with wood elves and was able to sacrifice the three
counters on the triskelion to do the last three damage and win,' he
explains."

Man, I love the game, but when you write something like this out, it
looks really dorky. I mean, attacking wood elves? C'mon. :)
Peter

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

From the Collected Witterings of Peter, volume 23:

> Man, I love the game, but when you write something like this out, it
> looks really dorky. I mean, attacking wood elves? C'mon. :)

I was more concerned with the shitty grammar in the sentence where deck
sizes are laid out.

--
Twelve points to ... SLOVENIA!

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:25:33 -0400, Jeff Boes <jboes@qtm.net> wrote:

>David DeLaney wrote:
>>>Magic has become a subculture in more than 70 countries."
>>

>> Obviously, we need a cheesily produced Saturday morning cartoon show...
>>

>Heh. Or maybe a tie-in with a reality show ...
>
>"We put 12 Pro Tour players in a house for 30 days while they prepare
>for the upcoming World Magic Championship Invitational ..."
>
>Hmm, maybe not; I wouldn't watch it!

Um. Is this some sort of double-layered joke? I mean, you know they
had something like that, right? (Not that it was televised... and it
seems the Sideboard Online archives were eradicated from the Wizards
site.)

-- pseudosoldier

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 04:49:48 GMT, pseudosoldier@hotmail.com
(pseudosoldier) wrote:

>>> Obviously, we need a cheesily produced Saturday morning cartoon show...
>>>

>>Heh. Or maybe a tie-in with a reality show ...
>>
>>"We put 12 Pro Tour players in a house for 30 days while they prepare
>>for the upcoming World Magic Championship Invitational ..."
>>
>>Hmm, maybe not; I wouldn't watch it!
>
>Um. Is this some sort of double-layered joke? I mean, you know they
>had something like that, right? (Not that it was televised... and it
>seems the Sideboard Online archives were eradicated from the Wizards
>site.)

Posted too quick. Here ya go:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/feature/sb20020213a

-- pseudosoldier

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:45:28 -0500, Mark Landin
<mark.landin@tdwilliamson.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:35:49 +0100, "David Chapman"
><jedit_ojanen8@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Or a tie-in with Upper Deck. "What do you mean, Galactus vs Bosh?"
>
>We already have one Worldgorger, thanks...

Galactus
Artifact Creature Legend
0

If Silver Surfer and Reed Richards are both in play and controlled by
any one player, counter Galactus.

When Galactus comes into play, remove all permanents from the game and
all human beings from the planet.