Good MTG forums?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Okay, with the newsgroups (especially this one) so quiet lately, I'm
wondering what other forums people like for discussing MTG.

I've tried WotC's official ones, which are sometimes pretty good, but
the crowd there seems a bit young and tournament-focussed; I'd prefer
somewhere that gets a broader cross-section of players.

The MTGNews forums seemed a bit better (and have a polling ability,
something that's handy with the sort of questions I want to ask), but I
found out the hard way today how heavy-handed their moderation is, so I
may not be back there.

Brainburst, on the whole, didn't impress me - half the posters there, as
far as I could see, can't make it through a sentence without a spelling
or grammatical error, and while that's not everything, it's a pretty bad
first impression to leave.

Any others?
8 answers Last reply
More about good forums
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    "Jeff Heikkinen" <oh@s.if> schreef in bericht
    > Okay, with the newsgroups (especially this one) so quiet lately, I'm
    > wondering what other forums people like for discussing MTG.
    >
    > I've tried WotC's official ones, which are sometimes pretty good, but
    > the crowd there seems a bit young and tournament-focussed; I'd prefer
    > somewhere that gets a broader cross-section of players.

    Don't go there often, but when I go there I must have to agree with you.

    > The MTGNews forums seemed a bit better (and have a polling ability,
    > something that's handy with the sort of questions I want to ask), but I
    > found out the hard way today how heavy-handed their moderation is, so I
    > may not be back there.

    Hmm, the posting there is nice, and sometimes you need to be a bit hars,
    just to keep from things getting worse.

    > Brainburst, on the whole, didn't impress me - half the posters there, as
    > far as I could see, can't make it through a sentence without a spelling
    > or grammatical error, and while that's not everything, it's a pretty bad
    > first impression to leave.

    Hehe, the spelling problem is everywhere, not only on brainburst, and I
    believe that some of them do it just on purpose, to look kewl :)

    > Any others?
    Hmm, when you want to be on the fun side,you should take a look at
    www.misetings.com.
    For other forums I always like the forums on www.magic-league.com and
    www.magic4you.nu the boards are not that big (yet) nut the people there are
    nice and always helpful and interested in ideas.(what else could I say, I am
    involved in both)

    Greetz Nico
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    "Nico de Boer" <*****>, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
    > Hehe, the spelling problem is everywhere, not only on brainburst, and I
    > believe that some of them do it just on purpose, to look kewl :)

    I think you mean 1337, and yeah, there's that too. Even respectable
    sites like starcitygames have that stuff sneaking into *articles* (one
    proposed a white card with the playtest name "Pwn3D" or something like
    that - it was weeks before I could decipher that). Leetspeak turns me
    off even more than normal bad spelling, but I can usually tell the
    difference between the two.

    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to give them a look.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    > "Nico de Boer" <*****>, worshipped by llamas the world over, wrote...
    > > Hehe, the spelling problem is everywhere, not only on brainburst, and I
    > > believe that some of them do it just on purpose, to look kewl :)
    >
    > I think you mean 1337, and yeah, there's that too. Even respectable
    > sites like starcitygames have that stuff sneaking into *articles* (one
    > proposed a white card with the playtest name "Pwn3D" or something like
    > that - it was weeks before I could decipher that). Leetspeak turns me
    > off even more than normal bad spelling, but I can usually tell the
    > difference between the two.

    Hmm, it is not only 1337 that is used. for example, a post on the
    mtgnewsboards:
    ***c&p****
    Now THIS is wat I want! It is a text-based program, cards can be invented in
    1 file, and stuf. But ther is problems with it, it ses it dusent work very
    good so far. Also, I dont hav Python on mi computer (but I hav PHP and Perl
    and QBASIC). Also, I think you shud be able to put all the sets uv the cards
    in the SETS directory, so you can hav meny sets uv cards in difrint files.
    And then use DECKS directory to put decks in. And also, you cant play agenst
    the computer. Now wat will hapen? (I like the scripting cards idea)

    *******end c&p*****
    urgh, this is horrible. I mean, English is not my native language, but even
    I cannot make that much mistakes. This is what I mean by intentional, it's
    the "look, I am cool, I don't want to know how to spell correctly" attitude
    that just gets to me. I saw at least 14 errors in this small part of text,
    and believe me, this is not just accidentaly in one post, but the guy does
    that in every post. **shudder**

    > Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to give them a look.

    Greetz Nico
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    > Hmm, when you want to be on the fun side,you should take a look at
    > www.misetings.com.

    This may be the best idea for a card ever:
    Grand Pricks
    3R
    Enchantment
    Whenver an opponent says "Are you done," draw four cards.
    [http://www.misetings.com/item/836]

    Peter
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:02:15 +0000, Jeff Heikkinen wrote:

    > Brainburst, on the whole, didn't impress me - half the posters there, as
    > far as I could see, can't make it through a sentence without a spelling
    > or grammatical error, and while that's not everything, it's a pretty bad
    > first impression to leave.

    To post in an English newsgroup/forum does not automatically mean that
    English is your native language. If e.g. a young Magic player from Germany
    contributes to an English newsgroup/forum, I would not say that he leaves
    a bad first impression but that this is quite impressive.

    For many countries/languages, there are no *good* newsgroups/forums about
    Magic and, moreover, many Magic players use English Magic cards, even
    though cards in their respective native languages are available.

    (Sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors in the above; but I am not
    a native speaker. Young? No, I am not young... sigh!!! :-)
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    knucklehead000@yahoo.com (Peter) wrote in message news:<9591b0f0.0407300756.3d80744b@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hmm, when you want to be on the fun side,you should take a look at
    > > www.misetings.com.
    >
    > This may be the best idea for a card ever:
    > Grand Pricks
    > 3R
    > Enchantment
    > Whenver an opponent says "Are you done," draw four cards.
    > [http://www.misetings.com/item/836]

    The humorist in me laughs out loud.

    The pedant in me notes that the draw ability should be optional, else
    it's an auto-loss. "Are you done? Draw four. Are you done? Draw four.
    Are you done? Draw four." Repeat until decked.

    Still, it brings the funny.

    --
    Justin
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    "Peter" <knucklehead000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hmm, when you want to be on the fun side,you should take a look at
    > > www.misetings.com.
    >
    > This may be the best idea for a card ever:
    > Grand Pricks
    > 3R
    > Enchantment
    > Whenver an opponent says "Are you done," draw four cards.
    > [http://www.misetings.com/item/836]
    >
    > Peter

    LOL!
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    Take a look at starcitygames.com.

    --
    (Posted from an account used as a SPAM dump. If you really want to get
    in touch with me, dump the 'jboes' and substitute 'mur'.)

Newsgroup Games Video Games