Gainward GeForce 4 Golden Sample RIP After 10 Mon

Plague1392

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2003
I’m absolutely fuming about the failure of my Gainward graphics card and need to vent my rage by telling anyone who will listen just how bad Gaindward is. Ten months ago I bought one of their GeForce 4 PowerPack! Ultra 650TV Golden Sample cards. I paid a premium for the Golden Sample card based on its ability to overclock. When I received the card I found that even slight overclocking resulted in hundreds of small horizontal lines appearing all over the screen. After this brief experimenting in overclocking I set it back to the default clock speed and left it like that.

On Monday this week I started to experience problems with my PC not starting up. By Tuesday it had died completely and wouldn’t start at all. By trying the components in another PC I found the problem was with the piece of crap Gainward Graphics card. Any PC I put the card resulted in a blank screen and a lack of hard disk activity indicating Windows was not starting. Obviously my only option is to send it back, so I went to the Gainward site and I find I have to post it back to Germany at my own expense.

So basically I bought about the most expensive Ti4200 card around just for it to be complexly useless for overclocking and then pack up completely after 10 months at the default clock speed. Now I’m left out of pocket on shipping costs and without a graphics card. I wouldn’t go near a Gainward again.

“Word class Performance, Quality and Support” - Hah! I don’t think Gaindward could think of a less accurate slogan. They could use a line from Tomorrow Never Dies - “So much for German efficiency.”

Playbus

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2003
I don't know if this applies to Gainward, but in the electronics company I used to work for, a "golden sample" was one that was sent to a prospective customer for testing so that hopefully they would become a regular customer. If the same does apply for Gainward, then your "golden sample" card may have been put through its paces (including stress-testing) for a long time before you got your hands on it, which might explain why it died so soon. Golden samples are often sold on to customers as new after they have been played with by these companies.

However, if Gainward mean something different by "golden sample" then please accept my apologies.

Fatal Error #449: Unable to process the "Go to Hell" command specified.

dhlucke

Polypheme
The Golden Sample cards have better memory and are better than the standard cards. They overclock really well.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=389&s=1fee5dab901bebe29da7aa1c2658fc6f" target="_new"><font color=red>dhlucke's system</font color=red></A>

<font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> <font color=red>BLESS</font color=red> <font color=blue>AMERICA</font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
If you would have taken care of this right away, when you noticed it didn't overclock, would you have been able to return it to the vendor locally?

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=389&s=1fee5dab901bebe29da7aa1c2658fc6f" target="_new"><font color=red>dhlucke's system</font color=red></A>

<font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> <font color=red>BLESS</font color=red> <font color=blue>AMERICA</font color=blue>