IT Majors - Why calculus?!

Mandersoon

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hey everyone,

So I've been doing a LOT of flip-flopping with my major. Currently, I'm wanting to be an IT major. I'm currently a Service Tech at my nearby electronics store, and I enjoy doing the work - I just don't enjoy the actual store. But that's beside the point. I was originally a CS major - but my specific conflict has been with math.

I just CAN'T do math - it's beyond just saying "Ehhh, it's too hard" or "I don't like it". It's not something I can comprehend easily - it just doesn't make sense to me. I can do algebra pretty easily - but once you go beyond that I won't understand a thing.

Herein lies my dilemma: Nearly every single place I can find that HAS an IT major or essentially anything related to IT requires me to have calculus - which means that I need a bit more than a whole year(5 quarters) of Math. Considering that I'm in a Pre-Calculus 1 class and failing miserably at it (I failed it once already last quarter), I need to make a decision/figure stuff out before I make the same mistake again and screw up my GPA.

Here's where I reach out to the community: Where would I go to get an IT degree that A) Isn't a For-Profit college of the likes of ITT, University of the Phoenix, etc. and B) Doesn't require Calculus.

usmarine1979

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
I know it's been a while since you posted, but I hope I can help a little.

Let me start w/ a question:

What is your goal with your degree? What do you want to do?

If your goal is simply to work in IT, and not be a developer/architect etc al, you might consider a business degree like a business management IT. I'm currently working on a double MBA @ Western Governor's University (Regionally and Nationally Accredited) which is a NON PROFIT organization and all online.

THAT BEING SAID, it's no breeze, and I just finished a math course with some trig in it, but to be honest, the focus on the final was MUCH more towards problem solving, probability and quantitative mathematics.

This might be an option for you to consider, but know that online learning is different that very different from institutional learning ( I spent my first semester at Texas Tech University), and in some cases is very rewarding as you can go at your pace, and other times frustrating because you have to figure things out for yourself.

I don't know if this information helps, but I figured I'd at least try to get you an answer.

jamesjocky

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
any engineering major or science major, probably.
i think it would be hard for you to find a complete list of majors based on that critierion, but if you look at the course catalog pageeach major that you already have in mind you could figure out if those particular majors require calculus. i would say all engineer majors (duh) and probably most science majors require calc, and.... everthing that Alas_Poor_Yorrick listed, don't.

oldgeeker

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Maths, I used to find it difficult, until one day I got the spirit of it and every page in the textbook became fun enough.

Hope one day you can get it too. It's helpful for your major in CS. It's all about the creative thoughts, concepts, methods, etc.
Jump out from the puzzel and you'll get it more clear.

Latest posts