Hi folks,

I have the following equip:
Asus A7V8X
AMD 2000XP
Corsair XMS 512mb pc2700 (1 Stick)
MSI GeForce 4 Ti4400
350w PSU

I am running W98SE (Clean Install)
The problem is that when I run a grapics intensive program. Mostly Games they will just quit at intermitent times. Sometimes they will run 5 mins sometimes 2 hours. I have tried several wipes of the hardrive and reinstalling windows and all drivers. The folks at MSI think its a hardware incompatablility issue with the vid card and the ram. I dont really have any friends with systems running similar equipment so I cant really try swithing vid cards or ram without buying new stuff. I also seem to be having a temperature issue with my cpu. It has never shut down or anything but (for instance its at 66-67 c just doing this forum post). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brett

cleeve

Illustrious
Could definitely be temperature related. Try taking the case cover off and running a fan on it while playing a game, see if stability increases.

You might also try increasing the memory timings (latency, etc) in the BIOS, and seeing if you get increased stability. This might have a positive effect if it's a RAM issue.

RCPilot

Champion
I ran that board & handed it down. It likes small APG Aperture size in BIOS. Like 64, no bigger than 128. I was running a TI4600 & 128 was the max. Here's a <A HREF="http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=1" target="_new"> link </A> that will explain about it.

98SE, well it's time to upgrade.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!

lumper

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
when my ti4400 did that i sent it back, they ended up sending me 3 cards before i got one that was working properly, luckily enough it was a ti4600 instead, woot!
but seriously my card was giving me troubles that i too feel were heat related, a tech told me you should inspect and clean that fan on the gpu every 12 weeks.
mine was full of dust, lol ooops
oh and it was a pny verto, then they sent me an msi, then another pny , then the pny 4600.