Magic variants with cooperation?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Hi!

There's a lot of Magic variants (see
http://www.angelfire.com/games4/magicvariants ), but i wonder if
someone knew a version where the players are all together against a
"system deck" ?
I ask this because me and a friend like much more roleplaying like
games; where you have to help others humans players to win instead of
battle against them.

Any idea?

keyserling@altern.org (Keyserling) writes:
> There's a lot of Magic variants (see
> http://www.angelfire.com/games4/magicvariants ), but i wonder if
> someone knew a version where the players are all together against a
> "system deck" ?
> I ask this because me and a friend like much more roleplaying like
> games; where you have to help others humans players to win instead of
> battle against them.
> Any idea?

Well, I don't know a whole lot about the variants that are out there,
but you can try adding those kind of elements to many of them, I would
think. Certainly for any team-based games (Emperor, Two-headed Giant,
Team Sealed Deck), you could have one team be "the good guys" (perhaps
all playing with White in their decks) and the other team be "the bad
guys" (maybe all playing with Black in their deck).

(While Mark Rosewater will tell you that White isn't necessarily good,
and Black isn't necessarily evil, there's nothing stopping you from
playing them that way if you want.)

That said, I'm not sure how much success you'll have... Magic *isn't*
an RPG, and trying to force it into being one might not work. But, by
all means, have fun trying! Also, keep looking for variants on the
Internet, as there's quite likely something else up there
somewhere. Some of the columns on magicthegathering.com talk about
variants and some ideas for them, too.

--
Peter C.
"This document MUST be secured in a locked cabinet to prevent it from

keyserling@altern.org (Keyserling) wrote in message news:<a08b75d7.0408250831.654dac2d@posting.google.com>...
> Hi!
>
> There's a lot of Magic variants (see
> http://www.angelfire.com/games4/magicvariants ), but i wonder if
> someone knew a version where the players are all together against a
> "system deck" ?
> I ask this because me and a friend like much more roleplaying like
> games; where you have to help others humans players to win instead of
> battle against them.
>
> Any idea?

That's an interesting idea. Since there's too many decisions to be
made for the system deck, you could take away the System deck, and
instead make a list of effects ranging from, say, 1 to 6 mana, and
roll dice to determine what the System does. The System gains one mana
per turn. This is totally off the top of my head, and likely horribly
unbalanced. It's a starting point, anyway. I'd also say that
everything the System does uses the stack and can be countered.

1 mana:
1: Put a Raging Goblin into play.
2: Put Funeral Charm on the stack.
3: All players lose one life, and the System gains one life.
4: Put a Steel Wall into play.
5: Advance next roll to 3.
6: Put a Fugitive Wizard into play, and reroll.

2 mana:
1: All creatures take two damage.
2: Put Innocent Blood on the stack.
3: All players draw a card, and reroll on the 4 mana table.
4: Put a Grizzly Bear into play.
5: Put Raise the Alarm on the stack.
6: Put an Incinerate on the stack, targeting a player at random.

3 mana:
1: Put a Ball Lightning into play, which attacks the player lowest on
life.
2: All players choose and discard two cards.
3: Put a 0/1 white Peacekeeper token into play with the text
"Creatures cannot attack." Reset rolls to 1.
4: Put a Flametongue Kavu into play, targeting the bioggest creature
it can deal lethal damage to. Skip the next roll.
5: All creatures get -1/-1 until the next roll.
6: Roll 2 rolls on the 1 mana table.

4 mana:
1: Each player returns a creature to their hand.
2: Each player loses 5 life and draws a card.
3: Each player sacrifices a land, a creature, and an artifact. Reset
rolls to 1.
4: Remove all creatures from the game. Each player put a 1/1 token
into play for each creature removed this way.
5: Roll once ont eh 6 table and reset rolls to 1.
6: Put a Fangren Hunter into play.

5 mana:
1: Destroy all creatures in play. They can't be regenenerated. Reset
rolls to 2.
2: Put a Neurok Spy in play and reroll on table 1.
3: Put a Phantom Flock into play.
4: Deal 4 damage to all creatures with flying
5: Deal 4 damage to all creatures without flying.
6: Each player loses 4 life.

6 mana:
1: Flip a coin. If it's heads, destroy all permanents in play. They
can't be regenerated. Reset rolls to 1.
2: Put a 5/5 red Dragon token with flying into play, and reset roll to
3.
3: Put 3 3/3 green Centaur tokens into play.
4: Put a Caltrops into play and reroll on table 4.
5: Put a Wildfire on the stack. and reset roll to 3.
6: Each player draws two cards and reroll on this table.

What do you think?

--
Justin