Magic the Gathering Book Series

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Hello,

Does anyone know of a site that lists the Magic The Gathering series of
books in a chronological order? My understanding is that the books
parallel/follow the different Card Block releases - is this true? I remember
seeing a new book in the series when Fifth Dawn came out. My local used
bookstore has a number of the books and I can only buy a few at a time and
would like to know which are the earliest and start reading those.

I am currently reading "Area" and I am curious as to where it fits in the
sequence.

NazMan
9 answers Last reply
More about magic gathering book series
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:53:32 GMT, NazMan <cnazario@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
    >Does anyone know of a site that lists the Magic The Gathering series of
    >books in a chronological order? My understanding is that the books
    >parallel/follow the different Card Block releases - is this true? I remember
    >seeing a new book in the series when Fifth Dawn came out. My local used
    >bookstore has a number of the books and I can only buy a few at a time and
    >would like to know which are the earliest and start reading those.
    >
    >I am currently reading "Area" and I am curious as to where it fits in the
    >sequence.

    _Arena_ is unrelated to any actual MtG expansion, it was written based on the
    game as a whole. It was the very first Magic novel; several of the other early
    ones also aren't associated with the storylines in the expansions.

    Dave
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    Hi !

    I don't know where you can find a chronology, but I've read a score of
    the books, and I think you should start with "The Brother's war", which
    is loosely based on Antiquities. Maybe even "The Thran", which takes
    place even before that but isnt based on any set, it's just the premise
    for the whole Urza vs. Phyrexia story...

    NazMan wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone know of a site that lists the Magic The Gathering series of
    > books in a chronological order? My understanding is that the books
    > parallel/follow the different Card Block releases - is this true? I remember
    > seeing a new book in the series when Fifth Dawn came out. My local used
    > bookstore has a number of the books and I can only buy a few at a time and
    > would like to know which are the earliest and start reading those.
    >
    > I am currently reading "Area" and I am curious as to where it fits in the
    > sequence.
    >
    > NazMan

  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:53:32 GMT, NazMan <cnazario@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
    > >Does anyone know of a site that lists the Magic The Gathering series of
    > >books in a chronological order? My understanding is that the books
    > >parallel/follow the different Card Block releases - is this true? I remember
    > >seeing a new book in the series when Fifth Dawn came out. My local used
    > >bookstore has a number of the books and I can only buy a few at a time and
    > >would like to know which are the earliest and start reading those.
    > >
    > >I am currently reading "Area" and I am curious as to where it fits in the
    > >sequence.
    >
    > _Arena_ is unrelated to any actual MtG expansion, it was written based on the
    > game as a whole. It was the very first Magic novel; several of the other early
    > ones also aren't associated with the storylines in the expansions.
    >
    > Dave

    The Wiards web page has a comprehensive list of the novels published
    based on the Magic multi-verse. One person suggested to read the novels
    in the same order that they were published. Easy enough to do if you
    want some structured way to go through it. Of course some of the books
    obviously go against this trend, the Legends books released during
    Onslaught block.

    Although some of the cycles are self contained and have little or no
    interaction with characters or events in other sets, so it's safe to
    read those books on their own. Onslaught and Mirrodin are good examples
    of this.

    Here's a list of all the Magic books Wizards have released. Not exactly
    the link I was looking for, but it's fairly good. :)

    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/list&brand=magic&year=All&
    tablesort=5

    Personally I've read the 3 books from Invasion block and The Thran. I
    also started the Odyssey book, but thought it wasn't very well written.
    Lots of action, but still dull. I can however strongly recommend The
    Thran.

    Garscow
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    "Garscow" <garsNOSPAMcow@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    > David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:53:32 GMT, NazMan <cnazario@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
    > > >Does anyone know of a site that lists the Magic The Gathering series of
    > > >books in a chronological order? My understanding is that the books
    > > >parallel/follow the different Card Block releases - is this true? I
    remember
    > > >seeing a new book in the series when Fifth Dawn came out. My local used
    > > >bookstore has a number of the books and I can only buy a few at a time
    and
    > > >would like to know which are the earliest and start reading those.
    > > >
    > > >I am currently reading "Area" and I am curious as to where it fits in
    the
    > > >sequence.
    > >
    > > _Arena_ is unrelated to any actual MtG expansion, it was written based
    on the
    > > game as a whole. It was the very first Magic novel; several of the other
    early
    > > ones also aren't associated with the storylines in the expansions.
    > >
    > > Dave
    >
    > The Wiards web page has a comprehensive list of the novels published
    > based on the Magic multi-verse. One person suggested to read the novels
    > in the same order that they were published. Easy enough to do if you
    > want some structured way to go through it. Of course some of the books
    > obviously go against this trend, the Legends books released during
    > Onslaught block.
    >
    > Although some of the cycles are self contained and have little or no
    > interaction with characters or events in other sets, so it's safe to
    > read those books on their own. Onslaught and Mirrodin are good examples
    > of this.
    >
    > Here's a list of all the Magic books Wizards have released. Not exactly
    > the link I was looking for, but it's fairly good. :)
    >
    > http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/list&brand=magic&year=All&
    > tablesort=5
    >
    > Personally I've read the 3 books from Invasion block and The Thran. I
    > also started the Odyssey book, but thought it wasn't very well written.
    > Lots of action, but still dull. I can however strongly recommend The
    > Thran.
    >
    > Garscow

    Garscow,

    Thanks very much for the information and the link. I see that it has a nice
    listing and I will keep it for reference.

    almost done with "Whispering Woods" - ok; story a little slow. Bought the
    newest one - "Outlaw" the first one in the Champoins of Kamigawa series. I
    hope to finish it by the release date. :-)

    Regards,
    NazMan
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    Hi Garscow,
    I went to that site and the list is rather incomplete. The first 3 books on
    my bookshelf aren't even on the list, and I couldn't even find "Prophecy" on
    the list. Have you found the other list you mentioned?
    Thanks,
    Al (Dragon1950)

    "Garscow" <garsNOSPAMcow@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:53:32 GMT, NazMan <cnazario@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
    > >Does anyone know of a site that lists the Magic The Gathering series of
    > >books in a chronological order? My understanding is that the books
    > >parallel/follow the different Card Block releases - is this true? I
    remember
    > >seeing a new book in the series when Fifth Dawn came out. My local used
    > >bookstore has a number of the books and I can only buy a few at a time
    and
    > >would like to know which are the earliest and start reading those.
    > >
    > >I am currently reading "Area" and I am curious as to where it fits in the
    > >sequence.
    >
    > _Arena_ is unrelated to any actual MtG expansion, it was written based on
    the
    > game as a whole. It was the very first Magic novel; several of the other
    early
    > ones also aren't associated with the storylines in the expansions.
    >
    > Dave

    The Wiards web page has a comprehensive list of the novels published
    based on the Magic multi-verse. One person suggested to read the novels
    in the same order that they were published. Easy enough to do if you
    want some structured way to go through it. Of course some of the books
    obviously go against this trend, the Legends books released during
    Onslaught block.

    Although some of the cycles are self contained and have little or no
    interaction with characters or events in other sets, so it's safe to
    read those books on their own. Onslaught and Mirrodin are good examples
    of this.

    Here's a list of all the Magic books Wizards have released. Not exactly
    the link I was looking for, but it's fairly good. :)

    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/list&brand=magic&year=All&
    tablesort=5

    Personally I've read the 3 books from Invasion block and The Thran. I
    also started the Odyssey book, but thought it wasn't very well written.
    Lots of action, but still dull. I can however strongly recommend The
    Thran.

    Garscow
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    I found on in the UK that seems to be fairly complete.
    http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/series/magic_the_gathering.htm
    Al (Dragon1950

    "Dragon1950" <Dragon1950@#mchsi.com> wrote in message
    Hi Garscow,
    I went to that site and the list is rather incomplete. The first 3 books on
    my bookshelf aren't even on the list, and I couldn't even find "Prophecy" on
    the list. Have you found the other list you mentioned?
    Thanks,
    Al (Dragon1950)

    "Garscow" <garsNOSPAMcow@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    David DeLaney <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:53:32 GMT, NazMan <cnazario@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
    > >Does anyone know of a site that lists the Magic The Gathering series of
    > >books in a chronological order? My understanding is that the books
    > >parallel/follow the different Card Block releases - is this true? I
    remember
    > >seeing a new book in the series when Fifth Dawn came out. My local used
    > >bookstore has a number of the books and I can only buy a few at a time
    and
    > >would like to know which are the earliest and start reading those.
    > >
    > >I am currently reading "Area" and I am curious as to where it fits in the
    > >sequence.
    >
    > _Arena_ is unrelated to any actual MtG expansion, it was written based on
    the
    > game as a whole. It was the very first Magic novel; several of the other
    early
    > ones also aren't associated with the storylines in the expansions.
    >
    > Dave

    The Wiards web page has a comprehensive list of the novels published
    based on the Magic multi-verse. One person suggested to read the novels
    in the same order that they were published. Easy enough to do if you
    want some structured way to go through it. Of course some of the books
    obviously go against this trend, the Legends books released during
    Onslaught block.

    Although some of the cycles are self contained and have little or no
    interaction with characters or events in other sets, so it's safe to
    read those books on their own. Onslaught and Mirrodin are good examples
    of this.

    Here's a list of all the Magic books Wizards have released. Not exactly
    the link I was looking for, but it's fairly good. :)

    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/list&brand=magic&year=All&
    tablesort=5

    Personally I've read the 3 books from Invasion block and The Thran. I
    also started the Odyssey book, but thought it wasn't very well written.
    Lots of action, but still dull. I can however strongly recommend The
    Thran.

    Garscow
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    NazMan wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Does anyone know of a site that lists the Magic The Gathering series of
    > books in a chronological order? My understanding is that the books
    > parallel/follow the different Card Block releases - is this true? I remember
    > seeing a new book in the series when Fifth Dawn came out. My local used
    > bookstore has a number of the books and I can only buy a few at a time and
    > would like to know which are the earliest and start reading those.
    >
    > I am currently reading "Area" and I am curious as to where it fits in the
    > sequence.
    >
    > NazMan

    The forums on mtg.com has an area called storylines. I highly suggest
    that you go there and get involved. There is an ongoing debate about
    the order that the books should be read in. Generally, the first book
    to read is 'The Brothers War'. This is the first in the Artifacts
    Cycle, and is followed by 'Planeswalker'. There are two more books in
    the artifacts cycle, Time Streams and Blood Lines.

    The Book that causes the debate is 'The Thran'. This book was written
    later and is done as a 'prequel'. Some suggest reading that first as
    the Thran are mentioned often in the books Bro-War and P-Walker. Others
    think that is heresy and that knowing about the Thran before reading the
    artifacts cycle gives the reader too much information.

    I did read The Thran as the first novel, and then read Bro-War and
    P-Walker. I am about to start Time Streams. I would say that I am glad
    I read 'The Thran' first and have enjoyed the books more.

    One other thing, Rath and Storm is fun to read right after Planeswalker.

    stinkee
    --
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    stinkee <stinkee@nospam.com> wrote

    > The forums on mtg.com has an area called storylines. I highly suggest
    > that you go there and get involved. There is an ongoing debate about
    > the order that the books should be read in. Generally, the first book
    > to read is 'The Brothers War'. This is the first in the Artifacts
    > Cycle, and is followed by 'Planeswalker'. There are two more books in
    > the artifacts cycle, Time Streams and Blood Lines.
    >
    > The Book that causes the debate is 'The Thran'. This book was written
    > later and is done as a 'prequel'. Some suggest reading that first as
    > the Thran are mentioned often in the books Bro-War and P-Walker. Others
    > think that is heresy and that knowing about the Thran before reading the
    > artifacts cycle gives the reader too much information.

    I've just (finally) gotten around to reading the MtG novels that have
    been sitting on my shelf, and just now finished The Thran and the
    Artifacts Cycle.

    My question now is where do I go from here? Rath and Storm? Masquerade
    Cycle? Invasion Cycle?

    All three involve the Weatherlight and Gerrard, but nothing indicates
    which comes first chronologically. (I suppose I can go back and read
    Ice Age later, as it happens before and during Planeswalker).

    Curtis.

    --
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

    > I've just (finally) gotten around to reading the MtG novels that have
    > been sitting on my shelf, and just now finished The Thran and the
    > Artifacts Cycle.
    >
    > My question now is where do I go from here? Rath and Storm? Masquerade
    > Cycle? Invasion Cycle?
    >
    > All three involve the Weatherlight and Gerrard, but nothing indicates
    > which comes first chronologically. (I suppose I can go back and read
    > Ice Age later, as it happens before and during Planeswalker).

    The order you listed them there is in chronological order. At least that
    is the order the card sets were released in, I'm not sure if there might be
    flashbacks and whatnot that take things out of order a bit, but it's a
    fairly linear story so I imagine it's pretty straightforward. Of course,
    there may be other books that are good to read before getting to Rath and
    Storm, I'm not sure about that.

Games Video Games Books