grafix help

tattletailz

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2003
I have a big problem any one who can fix this gets my vote. I have just built a system on an abit kd7 board with 20 gig drive and amd xp 2400. I have loaded xp with sp1 for the first time as I stuck with the stability of 98 se for years. I installed 1x 256 and 1x 512 ddr 333 ram and my exsisting Nvidia g force 4 440mx. All games are inop. The system works and seems stable but the gaming will cause freeze ups, blue screens and crash to desktops. I have flashed to the latest bios from abit and tried all the detonator drivers. I leave alone clocking and don’t adjust card settings. Today in desperation and convinced the graphics don’t like the rest of the pc I bought a gigabyte radeon 9000 proII guess what exactly the same – Raven shield crashes or freezes I can induce it by trying to enter planning screen and plot waypoints it will crash within 2-3 waypoints. The games from radeon crash at intro and sub command didn’t get past title screen. I have dx 9 off raven shield and latest patch. Currently I have bios set to safe default but that doesn’t help.
I cannot believe xp is wrong as system is stable
I cannot have two different quality graphics cards incompatable
Graphics driver changing doesn’t help
I have latest via 4-1 hyperion
Bios is latest from abit maybe settings wrong??
So what am I missing???

cleeve

Illustrious
You just put the system together? What kind of power supply are you using?

Also, is your BIOS memory timings aggresive? SOme motherboards don't like when you run two denominations of RAM, you might have to live with more conservative settings.

Speaking of the BIOS, what is it telling you your CPU and system temp is? You put a case fan in there, right?...

tattletailz

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2003
hi thanks for response
the ram mix was due to me first suspecting duff ram, i bought the 256 to swap and test, after crashing continued with each stick alone, i banged em both in. the psu is 300w i have bought a new case with 350w, again in desperation but not transfered yet. there is a case fan, but the whole side has been off the thing for most of the time. i can get temp settings from bios, im not sure what it should be - the cpu fan and sink is very close fit to psu box though, again hence new case. i re boot and look at temps.

tattletailz

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2003
i rebooted into bios and system health status says
system temp is 50 deg
cpu surface is 43
and cpu core is 71 what should it be????