Does Video Card Effect DVD Playback?

soundwave5

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
Hello again I had another question for some of you guys how does the type of video card effect DVD playback? For example would a GeForce4 Ti 4200 play a DVD the same way as lets say an MX 420 or an ATI Radeon 9000? Anyway just curious. I know comparing DVD playback on the new GeforceFX 5200 and the Geforce3 TI 200 I coult tell any difference between them. Like I said just curious. Thanks

Soundwave

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I don't think there is...
I know that ATI's cards have the good capability for the video playback..
I don't know much about nVidia thus

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Quality wise, the high end cards are almost the same for all of them. Don't compare with low end cards. For performance, the most important is that you need to enable the DMA in your DVDROM drive.

cleeve

Illustrious
Actually, Radeon cards have better motion compensation features and image output than Nvidia cards.

The difference between an Nvidia and Ati rendering of a DVD is huge... I did alot of research before buying a video card for my home entertainment computer.

Definitely go Ati Radeon on this one.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If DVD playback is the deciding factor in your getting a card, then definitely go with ATI.

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."

soundwave5

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
Since ATI seems the be the way to go for DVD playback I now want to ask weather there is a difference bewteen ATI cards, because I was thinking of getting a Sapphire Radeon 9200 with 128 DDR RAM mosty due to its lack of fan (since I use my PC mostly for home theater/sound system I like to keep my PC as quiet as possible) Anyway any imput would be helpful. Thanks

Soundwave