Solomon Draft

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Hi!

Yesterday, there was a nice article on wizards.com/magic:

"Limited Alternatives" by Scott Wills
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/sw31

In particular, he wrote about "Solomon Draft" and said the following:

"I should note that some players advocate doing groups of
nine or ten cards at a time as that means no cards are
left unused but for some reason groups of eight is what
is typically used."

I never played that variant before, but would like to give it a
try since it sounds interesting. Now, what would you propose?
Do you think that "groups of eight" is the way to go? Googling
for "Solomon Draft" showed that there seem to be a lot of people
who prefer doing groups of six cards at a time.

Another question: what is the origin of the name "Solomon Draft"?

Thanks in advance for your answers/opinions! Th.

Thomas D'Tak <outpost@rumblefish.org> writes:
> Yesterday, there was a nice article on wizards.com/magic:
>
> "Limited Alternatives" by Scott Wills
> http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/sw31

Well, by my clock it's still today's article. But yes, it was quite
interesting.

> In particular, he wrote about "Solomon Draft" and said the following:
>
> "I should note that some players advocate doing groups of
> nine or ten cards at a time as that means no cards are
> left unused but for some reason groups of eight is what
> is typically used."
>
> I never played that variant before, but would like to give it a
> try since it sounds interesting. Now, what would you propose?
> Do you think that "groups of eight" is the way to go? Googling
> for "Solomon Draft" showed that there seem to be a lot of people
> who prefer doing groups of six cards at a time.

I haven't played it before, but I think that any reasonable number
would work. I did find it a bit odd that his method left 2 unused
cards... Going by 9 would make it all come out even, and you'd be
forced to put them in unequally-sized piles, which could make things
interesting. I think I might try it tonight against my wife and see
how it works.

> Another question: what is the origin of the name "Solomon Draft"?

I would assume that it comes from the story of King Solomon from the
Bible, who proposed cutting a baby in half to settle a maternity
dispute. It's in I Kings 3:16-28
<http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible?passage=I+Kings+3%3A16-28>.

--
Peter C.
Any noun can be verbed.

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:23:25 -0400, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:

>> Another question: what is the origin of the name "Solomon Draft"?
>
> I would assume that it comes from the story of King Solomon from the
> Bible, who proposed cutting a baby in half to settle a maternity
> dispute. It's in I Kings 3:16-28
> <http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible?passage=I+Kings+3%3A16-28>.

Oh, obviously! ('Solomon' did not trigger the right association for me;
I am from Germany and here, we call that story 'Salomonisches Urteil',
i.e. Solomon is called S*a*lomon in German. Therefore I thought that
Solomon might have been a famous Magic player who invented that Draft :)

Thanks a lot for your hint!