clayton

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Someone had posted a few weeks ago, a desire to make dual-coloured decks
designed to teach newer players. Well I thought about making 5, one for each
colour. If I feel like continuing, I'll probably do the enemy-colour combinations
(Red/Blue, Blue/Green, Green/Black, Black/White, White/Red), just in case the
guy comes up with his training decks.

When I get around to building a new deck, I'll add it. I was wondering how others
think they would stack up with a newer player. I used the cards that I have around,
substitute similar cards at will to make your own.

Green: Knock knock ... Asskicking!
24 Forest

3 Spore Frog
3 Grizzly Bears
3 Trained Armadon
3 Skyshroud Troll
3 Barkhide Mauler
3 Craw Wurm
3 Hundroog

3 Giant Growth
3 Wild Growth
3 Rampant Growth
3 Regeneration
3 Naturalize

The only creature I'm not 100% sure about is the Spore Frog. I'm also not fully
sold on Regeneration, but it seems like a rather simple card, and there's plenty
of creatures to make it useful. If I replace them, it'll probably be with Norwood Ranger
and Monstrous Growth

Also the creaturs range from 1 to 7 mana and before someone mentions that 4-ofs would
be more consistant ... I like 3-ofs. Maybe I could include the fourth copies as an experiment
in deck construction

The idea is that all of the creatures can play as vanilla creatures. As the newer player learns
more about the game, they can realize that the creatures with cycling can be cycled away
if they need/want the cards. Also they can realize the power of regeneration through the
Troll and the Regeneration enchantments.

So how does it look as a trainer deck? There's nobody that plays in my little neck of the
woods and I'm looking for some fresh meat.

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
I'd have posted that deck in .strategy ... if it had any.

peter

"Clayton" <redneckdadd@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<LZt2d.13647$lb5.1133994@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Someone had posted a few weeks ago, a desire to make dual-coloured decks
> designed to teach newer players. Well I thought about making 5, one for each
> colour. If I feel like continuing, I'll probably do the enemy-colour combinations
> (Red/Blue, Blue/Green, Green/Black, Black/White, White/Red), just in case the
> guy comes up with his training decks.
>
> When I get around to building a new deck, I'll add it. I was wondering how others
> think they would stack up with a newer player. I used the cards that I have around,
> substitute similar cards at will to make your own.
>
> Green: Knock knock ... Asskicking!
> 24 Forest
>
> 3 Spore Frog
> 3 Grizzly Bears
> 3 Trained Armadon
> 3 Skyshroud Troll
> 3 Barkhide Mauler
> 3 Craw Wurm
> 3 Hundroog
>
> 3 Giant Growth
> 3 Wild Growth
> 3 Rampant Growth
> 3 Regeneration
> 3 Naturalize
>
> The only creature I'm not 100% sure about is the Spore Frog. I'm also not fully
> sold on Regeneration, but it seems like a rather simple card, and there's plenty
> of creatures to make it useful. If I replace them, it'll probably be with Norwood Ranger
> and Monstrous Growth
>
> Also the creaturs range from 1 to 7 mana and before someone mentions that 4-ofs would
> be more consistant ... I like 3-ofs. Maybe I could include the fourth copies as an experiment
> in deck construction
>
> The idea is that all of the creatures can play as vanilla creatures. As the newer player learns
> more about the game, they can realize that the creatures with cycling can be cycled away
> if they need/want the cards. Also they can realize the power of regeneration through the
> Troll and the Regeneration enchantments.
>
> So how does it look as a trainer deck? There's nobody that plays in my little neck of the
> woods and I'm looking for some fresh meat.
>
> -------
> Clayton
>
> Random Tagline:
> I'd have posted that deck in .strategy ... if it had any.

If I were doing an all green teaching deck, I'd include:
- Trample. Yeah, I know Wizards thinks it's too complicated for the
noobie, but in most situations it's not. On the other hand, it's
powerful, an important part of the Green Mage's canon, and everybody's
gotta learn sometime.
- Mana acceleration, in creatures and/or enchantments.
- An artifact or two. It's not crucial for green, but they need to
be exposed to all basic aspects of the game.
- An Enchantment or two. Again, they need to learn all aspects. Or,
maybe you can work these in later.

I like Spore Frog, but I don't happen to have any. :)

Truthfully, for single-color beginner decks, I think the 7th Edition
decks are pretty strong. I've used Green, Blue and Black for
teaching, and they've worked well. If you're interested in bringing
newbies on with single-color decks, this might be your best/easiest
bet.

Peter

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

> So how does it look as a trainer deck? There's nobody that plays in my
little neck of the
> woods and I'm looking for some fresh meat.

Instead of Spore Frog, try Llanowar Elves. Or use Horned Troll for more
regeneration? Then I'd replace Regeneration with something else. Rancor
would be nice but possibly a bit complicated. Blanchwood Armor is pretty
simple. Or maybe Lure. If you really want his eyes to bug out, there's
always Might of Oaks. :)

"Chris Wiegert" <cwiegert@telus.net> wrote in message news:9yE2d.39738$KU5.21928@edtnps89...
> > So how does it look as a trainer deck? There's nobody that plays in my little neck of the
> > woods and I'm looking for some fresh meat.
>
> Instead of Spore Frog, try Llanowar Elves. Or use Horned Troll for more
> regeneration? Then I'd replace Regeneration with something else. Rancor
> would be nice but possibly a bit complicated. Blanchwood Armor is pretty
> simple. Or maybe Lure. If you really want his eyes to bug out, there's
> always Might of Oaks. :)

Hmm, I had thought of Llanowar Elves (Or Vine Trellis for that matter), but I didn't
want to get into the whole tapping abilities thing yet. Of course, it's a classic creature
and it is still considered. I thought of the evil idea of Taunting Elf this morning.

I like the Horned Troll idea for the 3-mana creature though. Not as big as the Armodon,
but it regenerates to take more beatings. I may have to look up another pair of those.

I like the Blanchwood armour idea. It's a good counter to the Corrupt I'm planning on
putting into the black deck and greeat for asskicking. I'd have to get something newer than
the Ice Age Lure I have if I use those. Pity I don't own Might of Oaks ... It would be fun
to see an 8/8 Spore Frog kicking ass!

-------
Clayton

Random Taglinne:
Forget the Wurm, get the giant frog!

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Hello, Clayton!
You wrote on Fri, 17 Sep 2004 14:21:28 -0400:

C> Hmm, I had thought of Llanowar Elves (Or Vine Trellis for that
C> matter), but I didn't
C> want to get into the whole tapping abilities thing yet. Of
C> course, it's a classic creature
C> and it is still considered.

Apparently, Wizards don't find those tapping abilities too hard to
grasp - Llanowar Elves were included into 7th Edition starter pack (in a
separate booster - you'd start with two very simple decks, but would
then open the booster and distribute the cards as suggested in the
supplied tutorial).

If you go with Trample, consider adding Fangren Hunters - a vanilla
Trample creature.
And if we are talking about green, why not include some spiders?

Regards,
Arkady.

clayton

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

> Someone had posted a few weeks ago, a desire to make dual-coloured decks
> designed to teach newer players. Well I thought about making 5, one for each
> colour. If I feel like continuing, I'll probably do the enemy-colour combinations
> (Red/Blue, Blue/Green, Green/Black, Black/White, White/Red), just in case the
> guy comes up with his training decks.
>
> When I get around to building a new deck, I'll add it. I was wondering how others
> think they would stack up with a newer player. I used the cards that I have around,
> substitute similar cards at will to make your own.

Here's the black one. It's supposed to rely on getting one or two little things out with
some kind of evasion and killing any opposition to it.

Black: Death in the Night
24 Swamp

3 Bog Imp
3 Looming Shade
3 Feral Shadow
3 Severed Legion

3 Dark Ritual
3 Raise Dead
3 Unholy Strength
3 Enfeeblement
3 Coercion
3 Dark Banishing
3 Consume Spirit
3 Corrupt

I had Terror insted of Enfeeblement, but I thought that it might demonstrate Black's other
methods of killing. What I should probably put in there is Fear, to give anything a little
extra evasion. I dont know. Any suggestions out there?

Corrupt is the big finishing move, as is Consume Spirit (Thanks Wizards they printed that, it's
MUCH neater than Drain Life). I just hope that its enough removal. and killing to stand up to
the other 4 colour's stuff.

I also want to pose the question of whether you think that counterspellig might be a bit
complicated for a beginner with a blue deck? I want to use some blue fliers backed up
with bounce, counterspelling and a bit of card drawing, but I thought that the counterspells
might be complicated timing-wise. Though it is a classic part of blue.

Here's also what I was thinking for the other decks:
Blue: Flyers, counters, bounce and card drawing.
White: Weenie-style with First Strike and Flyers. Appropriate support cards.
Red: Hasty creatures + Burn

Red/White: Weenie deck with burn support. (Think the White Heat preconstructed deck)
White/Black: Manipulating the life total and removal. Few creatures with evasionary abilities
Black/Green: Fatties with removal/Fear support
Green/Blue: Creatures (Greenn fatties, Blue flyers) backed up with
Blue/Red: Bounce and Burn with a Wall defense (Cheapest creatures for best toughness)

Opinions welcome

-------
Clatyon

Random Tagline:
Sexcellent!

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

> Black: Death in the Night
> 24 Swamp
>
> 3 Bog Imp
> 3 Looming Shade
> 3 Feral Shadow
> 3 Severed Legion
>
> 3 Dark Ritual
> 3 Raise Dead
> 3 Unholy Strength
> 3 Enfeeblement
> 3 Coercion
> 3 Dark Banishing
> 3 Consume Spirit
> 3 Corrupt
>
> I had Terror insted of Enfeeblement, but I thought that it might
demonstrate Black's other
> methods of killing. What I should probably put in there is Fear, to give
anything a little
> extra evasion. I dont know. Any suggestions out there?

I think this deck is a little too light on creatures, especially when
the ones being used are powerhouses like Bog Imp. :p Maybe Grimclaw Bats
instead of those... strictly superior, though a bit messy with the life
payments. And then get some more creatures by replacing something (the
Rituals?). You need creatures that are worth a Raise Dead to get them back!
Bog Wraith would be nice, a bit more beef for the deck and it shows off
swampwalking, though it's useless if the decks being played against are all
other mono-non-black decks. Or maybe a regenerator... Drudge Skeletons? Wall
of Bone?

> I also want to pose the question of whether you think that counterspellig
might be a bit
> complicated for a beginner with a blue deck? I want to use some blue
fliers backed up
> with bounce, counterspelling and a bit of card drawing, but I thought that
the counterspells
> might be complicated timing-wise. Though it is a classic part of blue.

Counterspells are fine. Just don't use oddities like Power Sink.
Counterspell is nice and simple, two mana, that card you just played goes
away.

clayton

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

> I think this deck is a little too light on creatures, especially when
> the ones being used are powerhouses like Bog Imp. :p Maybe Grimclaw Bats
> instead of those... strictly superior, though a bit messy with the life
> payments. And then get some more creatures by replacing something (the
> Rituals?). You need creatures that are worth a Raise Dead to get them
back!
> Bog Wraith would be nice, a bit more beef for the deck and it shows off
> swampwalking, though it's useless if the decks being played against are
all
> other mono-non-black decks. Or maybe a regenerator... Drudge Skeletons?
Wall
> of Bone?

Well my original thought was wto use smaller creatures with an evasionary
ability and let black's removal take care of the blockers. However, after
thinking
about it the day after I posted the deck, I thought that I'd switch to Fear
and a bit of
Regeneration. Which means that the creatures are going to be retooled at
the very
least, probably the whole deck. Problem is that I left my stash of extra
cards at my
parent's house. Ah well, I'll plan now and build later

> > I also want to pose the question of whether you think that
counterspellig might be a bit
> > complicated for a beginner with a blue deck? I want to use some blue
fliers backed up
> > with bounce, counterspelling and a bit of card drawing, but I thought
that the counterspells
> > might be complicated timing-wise. Though it is a classic part of blue.
>
> Counterspells are fine. Just don't use oddities like Power Sink.
> Counterspell is nice and simple, two mana, that card you just played goes
> away.

Yay!

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
It's all fun and games and then the Zombies attack!