TI4600 heatsink/fan removal?

billyb351

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
I recently bought a Thermaltake graphics card cooler for my geforce4 ti4600 because the original fan died. The original heatsink is attached to the graphics processor with some sort of hard adhesive. The adhesive layer is very thin but holds the heatsink on tightly. Does anyone know of a safe way to remove a heatsink that is attached like this because i definitely don't want to break the card. Right now, i've attached a 60mm case fan to the original heatsink, but I need to remove it in order to install the new heatsink/fan combo. Anyone ever (successfully) removed a heatsink attached in this way??

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Just release the pins holding the cooler on the board and then twist the cooler a bit so that the thermal paste releases the cooler. Don't be afraid, you would have to use extrem force to brake anything.

BTW, from which company is your ti4600? The cooler of ASUS Ti4600 died two months ago and I also needed to replace it with a Thermaltake fan. Great choice BTW :)

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Usually theyre kept on by pins, you sure you just arent looking at some thermal compound (not adhesive), and the pins are whats holding it on?

If not though, you can try sticking in the freezer over night, then breaking it off. Be careful though.

Long live ATI.

billyb351

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
The card is a Visiontek, and there aren't any pins holding the heatsink on. There are already holes in the card for a heatsink like the thermaltake one, but the stock sink is held on by a glue of some sort. It doesn't just twist or pop off. I'll try the freezer idea if nobody else knows of any other way.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Look, which ever way makes you feel comfortable, would be the way I would choose to remove it. I was in a similar situation a while back with my previous card, and it took me about a month of being a pussy until finally I just said fucck it, and ripped the son of a bitch off. Just stick your ID card under the heatsink to protect the pcb, then stick a really flat screwdriver on top of it and pop it off.

3DMark 03 = 4,101
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=775464" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=775464</A>
<font color=red>AthlonXP 2100+/Radeon 9500Pro</font color=red>