Sign in with
Your question

Open taskbar programs hard to distinguish from others

Last response: in Windows 7
June 13, 2010 4:39:30 PM

Really not sure how to phrase this.

I have turned grouping off on the taskbar.

If I have say, 6 open IE windows and I want to switch between them I can't really tell what one I'm on. I'll click to go to a different one but it's the one I'm on and it minimizes.

I know this is silly but is there any way to change the color or look of the window I'm currently on so I can distinguish them better?

Screenshot below to show what I mean. Obviously I'm on the toms' hardware window but on the taskbar you can't tell it any different from the other open windows. If I have many of the same site open this makes it very difficult!

a b $ Windows 7
June 13, 2010 6:39:24 PM

aaron7 said:

If I have say, 6 open IE windows and I want to switch between them I can't really tell what one I'm on. I'll click to go to a different one but it's the one I'm on and it minimizes.

I know this is silly but is there any way to change the color or look of the window I'm currently on so I can distinguish them better?

Screenshot below to show what I mean. Obviously I'm on the toms' hardware window but on the taskbar you can't tell it any different from the other open windows. If I have many of the same site open this makes it very difficult!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/aaron7/Clipboard01.jpg

Try right clicking a site from your Favourites and going to "Open in new tab" rather than New Window then you need only have IE showing once in the Taskbar and when it's open, all your open tabs are clearly displayed by name below the Toolbars.

m
l
June 13, 2010 8:12:40 PM

I've disabled tabbed browsing as I don't like it.

As for my problem, I tried different colors but it still doesn't look any different between open and background windows in the taskbar.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 14, 2010 2:07:02 AM

aaron7 said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/aaron7/Clipboard01.jpg

What about using Alt + Tab or Win + Tab to shuffle through and locate the desired window?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
m
l
March 7, 2011 1:23:06 AM

Aaron,

I have the SAME exact problem. It was never a problem in XP. It seems that Win7 "lightens-up" the current window/tab on the taskbar, but for some reason, I always end up minimizing it as well. It's like my brain doesn't comprehend the difference in the shading.... I will search for a way to make them more distinguishable.... I'll report back with anything I find.

Later,

Matt!
m
l
March 7, 2011 1:25:25 AM

Oh yea - you can always choose the “Windows Classic” theme under the Desktop \ Personalize section…
m
l
!