who ELSE is gettin tired of this?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
i mean the whole ATI vs Nvidia thing. its sooo freaking boring and so full of corruption that im literally losing my interest in gaming and the video card industry.

goes like:

company A releases a card. company B releases a card. everyone goes OMG SO AMAZING LOOK AT TEH NEW PRETTY COLORS AND GFX@!!! rinse and repeat. nothing extraordinary is happening, nor has happened in the last year. the 9700pro was an event when it was released, but really it didnt change gaming. not like the TNT2 did or the voodoo2. bah... its just so .. like i read the news and im like "who the hell cares? yeah nvidia is cheating but no one can do a damn thing. and ATI is probalby doing it only we dont know aobut it"

bah..

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

daniel1113

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I just don't care anymore. My Radeon 9800 plays all of my games perfectly, but then again so did my GeForce 4. Does it really matter how many FPS you get? You only need 30-60 anyways. In fact, I benchmark my system by doing the stuff I do anyways... Medal of Honor, Half-Life, Photoshop, After Effects. If those run fine on my system, then my graphics card is perfect. I don't care if my card can generate 300 FPS. I wish people would quit trying to overclock and upgrade their systems just for the sake of getting high 3DMark scores. Who cares? I am having a great time playing my games and working on my computer without any problems, and I didn't even have to use liquid nitrogen to cool my computer to -20C. That is the bottom line... if you video card works for what you do, that is the only benchmark that matters.

- Daniel (daniel1113@attbi.com)

cleeve

Illustrious
BLASPHEEEEMERS! BURN THEM!

Seriously, I see your point. But I think this situation will improve a bit with next-gen games like Half-Life 2 and Doom3, that actually push the high-end video cards to get 50 fps.

I hope so, anyway...

daniel1113

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Exactly... the only good thing about having a card that can generate 100+ FPS now is that in the future it wll be able to handle the bigger and better games, even if they can only reach the bare minimum 30 FPS.

- Daniel (daniel1113@attbi.com)

Gastrian

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
That's the thing I love about consoles. The games either good or bad, no need to worry about FPS or anything like that.

Though I find it funny. If the rumours are true and the GC's rolling demo of RE:BioHazard 4 includes game footage. Then this £129 console has achieved something that not even the 9800Pro or FX5900 can claim to have done. A fully 3D rendered game with nothing pre-rendered, just FMV quality graphics, and supossedly the Xbox is also capable of this as well.

eden

Champion
Phial, I've observed that you've been depressed lately. Perhaps it suddenly came to you such boredom and that perhaps you're only saying it because of feeling down?

I totally agree the video card industry politics are getting very annoying, however, I believe your giving up on these has to do more with you personal life being a bit down.

Hang on buddy!

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I've never been interesting to those graphic card competition thingy. First ,even the graphic card really as good as it claims to be, I still feel like a fool to pay $500 for a graphic card. Second, I still hold the believe that even advance games like Doom III and Half-Life 2 WILL NOT need an extremely high end graphic card just to able to run the game. Well may be if you want the maximum quality but again pay AUD$500+ for a graphic card just to play a game? I can pay AUD$300+ to get a XBox/GC/PS2 and I can play Doom III/Resident Evil 4/Final Fantasy Series too as well as other game titles which will never be released on PC platform. Finally, I know I'm cheap but I really find that it's kind of stupid to pay extra cash just for 30FPS increment in a game while it already run in 100+ FPS.

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Cheer up dude. Everything is gonna be alright.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=389&s=1fee5dab901bebe29da7aa1c2658fc6f" target="_new"><font color=red>dhlucke's system</font color=red></A>

<font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> <font color=red>BLESS</font color=red> <font color=blue>AMERICA</font color=blue>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I get tired of finding that Alexa registry bug on my system every time I download a bukake pr0n~ movie....

3DMark 03 = 4,101
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=775464" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=775464</A>
<font color=red>AthlonXP 2100+/Radeon 9500Pro</font color=red>
<font color=red>120% Myself!</font color=red>

eden

Champion
There is only one reason you Flame would be bored, and it's because we have a real reason to be angry at nVidia, and you don't like it.

I'd like to hear DH's take on this.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Nope, not it at all, read previous posts in graphics forums for explanation. Gah, studying for my honors english final is a pain- try memorizing like 16 books and all the transcendentalist stuff!

Hilbert space is a big place.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
hahaha i get tired of my friend asking me stupid computer questions and then after i answer he'll just say "you're BSing because he doesn't understand anything i'm talking about

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% Nvidia Fanboy
Athlon 64......nForce 3, it sure sucks when you can't afford things. One day Operton Servers will cost less than $4000 so everyone can get one

dhlucke

Polypheme
I like the controversy. With any luck it'll put both ATI and NVidia into high gear just in time for HL2 and Doom3.

I think the industry is going to have to change though since we can't have someone like Nvidia throwing a fit and cheating everytime they release a card that doesn't perform well in benchmarks.

I think 3dmark will become a thing of the past considering how fast they buckled. I'm waiting to hear what THG thinks, but it seems to me that Futuremark bowed out due to the threat of litigation even though they had released a thorough pdf file and we have seen the IQ pictures and ways Nvidia obviously cheated.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=389&s=1fee5dab901bebe29da7aa1c2658fc6f" target="_new"><font color=red>dhlucke's system</font color=red></A>

<font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> <font color=red>BLESS</font color=red> <font color=blue>AMERICA</font color=blue>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
how many people actually BUY 3dmarks software? probably not too many. and those servers probably aint cheap to keep up. yeah tey get funding from other sources probably but in light of whats happening lately i think thats probably getting less and less as well

Eden and dhuckle thanks guys. i have been down lately but thers alot of bad things happening. off topic tho! video cards video cards section!!

:)

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
haha yaeh thats good. probably true too :)

-------

Blad3

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
Yes it is changing gaming - near photo-realistic images etc - just look at HL2, DE2, D3...At least that's what I think and have read...

If you like games enough, I wouldn't let it bother you. Certainly doesn't bother me, as long as I get a decent-excellent card to play my computer games with, having a good experience/the best possible experience all the while...

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Some of us are old-timers--relics left over from the early days when a new graphics card truly could change your gaming experience.

I think the 3DFX loyalists arose because their's were the first readily available 3D cards with really good performance. For those of us who had never played a real 3D game (even Quake 2 was released in an awful looking software rendered mode) seeing real 3D graphics for the first time was an epiphany.

Now, things aren't the same. Sorry, but I just can't get as excited over FSAA and Anisotropic Filtering. Better IQ gives me a bit of a chubby, but it isn't the same. I think I continue to regularly upgrade in the hopes of being shocked like that again, but it ain't gonna happen.

It's still fun to talk about, though. And that's the point of a forum. Think about it--would people love sports as much if they couldn't talk about it with their friends?

People like to talk and love to argue, and we actively seek out opportunities to do both...

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
For those of us who had never played a real 3D game (even Quake 2 was released in an awful looking software rendered mode) seeing real 3D graphics for the first time was an epiphany.

dam twitch, you gotta stop being so dam accurate. thats exactly whati was thinking. btw dont mind my spelling, 2litres of wine down teh hatch. but its so true. when i went from my trident vcard to a voodoo2 i was crapping my pants. i think i did actually have to change my underwear, i cnat remember, but at laest i know i did have to wipe my ass. thas how amazed i was. at teh leap in visual quality. nowadays its not teh same as you have so eloquently said :)

oh well. its eventually gonn happen again. you can see it in teh progress happening now. eventually the computer will an extension of ones hands, ones mind. the next Windows interface is supposed to be 3d. 3 dimentional . THAT will truly be something to see. at least microsofts money is going somewhere eh, besides bill gates pocket

-------

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Yup! And think about it. For a long time, the graphics card industry was exciting because there was much room for improvement. After the Voodoos and Voodoo2's got everyone hyped up for 3D with 8-bit textures and 16-bit colors, then cards came out with 32-bit color! And 16-bit textures! And then we got cards that improved actually play at 1024x768 in 32 bit color smoothly. And then we got Hardware T&L and trilinear filtering, bumpmapping and volumetric shadows. And now, it's all about FSAA, anisotropic filtering, DX 9.0 capabilities, and raw FPS. The only mountains left to climb are for cards to render everything at 2048X1536 in 32-bit color and 32-bit textures with 6XFSAA and 16X Anisotropic filtering at 60+ FPS. And sure, that'll be great and everything, but it still won't rock my world the way my first Voodoo2 did...

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

Steven21

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
we seem to be stuck in a never endiing loop of updradeing,
will it ever end???????? This is also true of CPUs and Mobos as well. And Software also.
and yes i am starting to get very sick of it!!!!!!!!!!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by steven21 on 06/07/03 11:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
What if in years to come they came out with a cpu and vid card so powerful that games were rendered by atoms, so everything was like real life. You could have unlimited motions, etc, and all this over huge terrains. Now u makin me get a chubby over quantum comps dammit.....ight, good night THG.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.