"Enchant world" vs. legendary enchantments

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Greetings, All--

After playing some with Kamigawa, I had a question concerning old and
new card types. What, exactly, is the difference between a legendary
enchantment (like the shrines in Kamigawa) and an enchant world? An
enchant world card is essentially a legendary enchantment in the sense
that only one can be in play at any time. But according to my
searches on oracle and other websites, they are not "legendary".

And this begs another question. I know that WotC are trying to
streamline magic. For this reason, we will most likely not see a new
"enchant world" card. But if WotC wanted to bring back one (for
example, Concordant Crossroads) would they bring it back as a
legendary enchantment, instead of an enchant world?

Thanks.

Scott

Grognard

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Enchant World works differently. There can only be one permanent with the
type Enchant World in play at one time. If a new Enchant World is played,
any previously in play one goes to the graveyard. The shrines can have
one of each named shrines in play at a time, and are subject to the new
Legend rule if a second copy of any of them is played.

--
G'Kar: With luck, they may never find you. But, if they do, you will
know pain. Na'Toth: And you will know fear. G'Kar: And then you will

Scott Vajdos wrote:

> And this begs another question. I know that WotC are trying to
> streamline magic. For this reason, we will most likely not see a new
> "enchant world" card. But if WotC wanted to bring back one (for
> example, Concordant Crossroads) would they bring it back as a
> legendary enchantment, instead of an enchant world?

I read somewhere that if "Enchant World" spells were ever reprinted or
updated, it's likely they would become "World Enchantments", where
"World" would (like "Legendary") be a supertype (?) with its own rule.
That would streamline things, and even introduce new kinds of
interesting stuff, like "World Creature", "World Land", etc.

ObNewCard:

Rainbow Peak
World Land (//Only one World Land can be in play at any time. If another
World Land comes into play, destroy *this*//)

Rainbow Peak comes into play tapped.

T: add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
At the end of your turn, if Rainbow Peak is untapped it deals three
damage to you.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player gains control of
Rainbow Peak.

--
(Posted from an account used as a SPAM dump. If you really want to get
in touch with me, dump the 'jboes' and substitute 'mur'.)

Jeff Boes <jboes@qtm.net> wrote:

> Scott Vajdos wrote:
>
> > And this begs another question. I know that WotC are trying to
> > streamline magic. For this reason, we will most likely not see a new
> > "enchant world" card. But if WotC wanted to bring back one (for
> > example, Concordant Crossroads) would they bring it back as a
> > legendary enchantment, instead of an enchant world?
>
> I read somewhere that if "Enchant World" spells were ever reprinted or
> updated, it's likely they would become "World Enchantments", where
> "World" would (like "Legendary") be a supertype (?) with its own rule.
> That would streamline things, and even introduce new kinds of
> interesting stuff, like "World Creature", "World Land", etc.

If you check the Comprehensive Rules or the Oracle, you'll see that
they've already added that supertype.

World
World is a supertype that normally applies to enchantments.
If two or more permanents have the supertype world, all except the
one that has been a permanent with the world supertype for the shortest
amount of time are put into their owners' graveyards. In the event of a
tie for the shortest amount of time, all are put into their owners'
graveyards. This "world rule" is a state-based effect. See rule 420.5.
If a world permanent's types or subtypes change, this doesn't
change its supertypes. The permanent will still be a world permanent.

> ObNewCard:
>
> Rainbow Peak
> World Land (//Only one World Land can be in play at any time. If another
> World Land comes into play, destroy *this*//)
>
> Rainbow Peak comes into play tapped.
>
> T: add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
> At the end of your turn, if Rainbow Peak is untapped it deals three
> damage to you.
> At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player gains control of
> Rainbow Peak.

And the world rule doesn't care whether the type is Enchantment, Land,
or whatever.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

> After playing some with Kamigawa, I had a question concerning old and
> new card types. What, exactly, is the difference between a legendary
> enchantment (like the shrines in Kamigawa) and an enchant world? An
> enchant world card is essentially a legendary enchantment in the sense
> that only one can be in play at any time. But according to my
> searches on oracle and other websites, they are not "legendary".

Enchant worlds worked "backwards" compared to the old legend rule. With
the old legend rule, when a legend came into play and there was already one
of that name in play, the new one was put in the graveyard. Now of course
the legend rule has changed so that both get nailed. When an enchant world
comes into play and there is one in play already (same name *or different
name*), the *old* one gets put in the graveyard. So there are definitely
differences.

>And this begs another question. I know that WotC are trying to
>streamline magic. For this reason, we will most likely not see a new
>"enchant world" card. But if WotC wanted to bring back one (for
>example, Concordant Crossroads) would they bring it back as a
>legendary enchantment, instead of an enchant world?

If they reprinted a card that's an enchant world right now, it would
have to remain an enchant world, I don't think they would change it to a
legendary enchantment, too much of a difference. Though they've made fairly
noticeable changes to cards before, like Castle and Unyaro Griffin, so it's
not totally impossible. Most likely though they would just make a new card
with a new name.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

To summon a deamon called Scott Vajdos you must know the following
incantation:

> After playing some with Kamigawa, I had a question concerning old and
> new card types. What, exactly, is the difference between a legendary
> enchantment (like the shrines in Kamigawa) and an enchant world? An
> enchant world card is essentially a legendary enchantment in the sense
> that only one can be in play at any time. But according to my
> searches on oracle and other websites, they are not "legendary".

as far as i remember (enchant world was waaaaaay before i started
playing, and i don't judge vintage) there can be ONLY ONE enchant world
at a time, while you can have five different shrines (an example ;] )

> And this begs another question. I know that WotC are trying to
> streamline magic. For this reason, we will most likely not see a new
> "enchant world" card. But if WotC wanted to bring back one (for
> example, Concordant Crossroads) would they bring it back as a
> legendary enchantment, instead of an enchant world?

i can't speak of what wotc will do, but this would be changing the
concordant crossroads too much...

watman
--
Mateusz "Watman" Wata | Blackcrowned Forevermore!
watman<at>interia.pl | watman<at>gmail.com

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:54:44 -0400, Jeff Boes <jboes@qtm.net> wrote:

>Scott Vajdos wrote:
>
>> And this begs another question. I know that WotC are trying to
>> streamline magic. For this reason, we will most likely not see a new
>> "enchant world" card. But if WotC wanted to bring back one (for
>> example, Concordant Crossroads) would they bring it back as a
>> legendary enchantment, instead of an enchant world?
>
>I read somewhere that if "Enchant World" spells were ever reprinted or
>updated, it's likely they would become "World Enchantments", where
>"World" would (like "Legendary") be a supertype (?) with its own rule.
>That would streamline things, and even introduce new kinds of
>interesting stuff, like "World Creature", "World Land", etc.

Yup, in the rules update that came with CoK "World" and "Snow-Covered"
became supertypes (previously there were only two supertypes; Basic
and Legendary).
On the other hand, the "World rule" didn't really change as such, it
just shifted from affecting "Enchant World" cards (which were global
enchantments playing local enchantments by enchanting some imaginary
"world") to affecting all permanents with the supertype "World".

>ObNewCard:
>
>Rainbow Peak
>World Land (//Only one World Land can be in play at any time. If another
>World Land comes into play, destroy *this*//)
>
>Rainbow Peak comes into play tapped.
>
>T: add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
>At the end of your turn, if Rainbow Peak is untapped it deals three
>damage to you.
>At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player gains control of
>Rainbow Peak.

Funny thing about the world rule - it dosn't care about name or type
at all, if more than one "World <whatever>" is in play all but the
newest die, so your land there would kill Concordant Crossroads...
This is another difference from the legendary rule.

World
World is a supertype that normally applies to enchantments.
If two or more permanents have the supertype world, all except
the one that has been a permanent with the world supertype for the
shortest amount of time are put into their owners' graveyards. In the
event of a tie for the shortest amount of time, all are put into their
owners' graveyards. This "world rule" is a state-based effect. See
rule 420.5.
If a world permanent's types or subtypes change, this doesn't
change its supertypes. The permanent will still be a world permanent.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

On 21 Oct 2004 09:36:52 -0700, Scott Vajdos <sfvajdos@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Greetings, All--
>
>After playing some with Kamigawa, I had a question concerning old and
>new card types. What, exactly, is the difference between a legendary
>enchantment (like the shrines in Kamigawa) and an enchant world?

Well, the latter is now a "World Enchantment".

If there's more than one Legendary enchantment _of a given name_ in play,
all of them get zapped to the graveyard.

If there's more than one World Enchantment in play, regardless of which ones
they are, only the -newest- one stays in play, all the rest get put into the
graveyard.

> An enchant world card is essentially a legendary enchantment in the sense
>that only one can be in play at any time. But according to my
>searches on oracle and other websites, they are not "legendary".

They are not, indeed, "legendary"; the rule for Enchant Worlds always worked
pretty much exactly the reverse of the rule for legendary stuff - for Enchant
Worlds, the one that's been one in play the SHORTEST amount of time stays.
For legends, it used to be the one that had been in play with that name the
_longest_ time that stayed (and now it's "none of them with that name").

>And this begs another question. I know that WotC are trying to
>streamline magic. For this reason, we will most likely not see a new
>"enchant world" card. But if WotC wanted to bring back one (for
>example, Concordant Crossroads) would they bring it back as a
>legendary enchantment, instead of an enchant world?

No; if you look in Gatherer, they would bring it back as a "World Enchantment"
- we have two 'new' supertypes now, "World" and "Snow-Covered".

Dave

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Scott Vajdos sez:

<<
>After playing some with Kamigawa, I had a question concerning old and
>new card types. What, exactly, is the difference between a legendary
>enchantment (like the shrines in Kamigawa) and an enchant world?

Well, first, I should mention that "World" is now a supertype.

Now, the difference, is that there can be different-named legendary
enchantments in play (you could have all five Shrines in play, for instance).
There can only be one world enchantment in play at any one time.

<<
>An enchant world card is essentially a legendary enchantment in the sense
>that only one can be in play at any time. But according to my
>searches on oracle and other websites, they are not "legendary".

Like I said above, you can have different-named legendary enchantments in play.
However, you can't even have a Hall of Gemstone and a Concordant Crossroads in
play at the same time. That's the difference.

<<

>And this begs another question. I know that WotC are trying to
>streamline magic. For this reason, we will most likely not see a new
>"enchant world" card. But if WotC wanted to bring back one (for
>example, Concordant Crossroads) would they bring it back as a
>legendary enchantment, instead of an enchant world?

No, because it fundamentally changes the card. And WotC usually frowns on that
except in extreme cases (see Phyrexian Dreadnought and Lotus Vale for two
examples).

(Besides, Mass Hysteria would be a far better print than CC anyway, since
that's in its proper color, and isn't even a world enchantment to boot.)

Also, never rule out reprinting of older types. IMO, World permanents aren't
that much more confusing than Legendary permanents.

----
"Wait. I thought you were going to be funny. Come on. Be funny."
"No. No. I'm not going to be your monkey."
Tucker Carlson v. Jon Stewart, Crossfire, 10/15

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc,alt.usenet.kooks (More info?)

Lady Chatterly <snejmann@catcher.in.the.rye> wrote:

Tchk. I helped -create- a.u.k .

>Simon Nejmann <snejmann@worldonline.REMOVETHIS.dk> wrote:
>>World is a supertype that normally applies to enchantments.
>> If two or more permanents have the supertype world, all except
>>the one that has been a permanent with the world supertype for the
>>shortest amount of time are put into their owners' graveyards. In the
>>event of a tie for the shortest amount of time, all are put into their
>>owners' graveyards. This "world rule" is a state-based effect. See
>>rule 420.5.
>> If a world permanent's types or subtypes change, this doesn't
>>change its supertypes. The permanent will still be a world permanent.
>
>Does that reason explain anything else?

Nope. The Enchant World rule, and the Legend rule also, have always been
fairly disconnected from the rest of the rules, thematically; changing them,
as was just recently done for the Legend rule, wouldn't actually affect
much of anything else in the rulebook.

Dave