Definition of some terms

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Looking at some of the web sites for Magic and their Deck Databases I have
come across the following deck names and I want to know if I am interpreting
them correctly.

MBC/Deathcoud - Mono Black Control using Deathcloud as the main card the
deck is built around
Ponza - ???
U/W Control - Blue & White control - (would be U/B for Blue & Black control,
etc)
Aggro Deck - ???
Affinity - seems to be referring to Artifact decks using Arcbound Ravager as
the main card the deck is built around

Is there any rhyme or reason to how someone names a deck that they put
together?

Thanks for your replies in advanced,
NazMan

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

> Ponza - ???

Ponza is a red control deck built around land destruction.

> Aggro Deck - ???

Aggro is any deck built around winning via creature attacks as quickly
as possible.

> Affinity - seems to be referring to Artifact decks using Arcbound Ravager
as
> the main card the deck is built around

Most often, yeah. It refers to any deck that uses a lot of cards with
affinity (for artifacts, usually). Ravager is quite a popular choice for
inclusion. Also Disciple of the Vault.

> Is there any rhyme or reason to how someone names a deck that they put
> together?

Some names have obvious sources, like Affinity or W/U Control. Some
names are slight takeoffs on obvious names (Affinity decks that are based on
Ravager are called Raffinity decks). Some names are based on aspects of the
deck (Twelve-Post is a deck that has 12 cards that allow access to
Cloudpost... the 4 Cloudposts themselves, 4 Reap and Sow, and 4, um, I
forget the other one, Journey of Discovery maybe). And some names are just
totally random (Trix is a combo deck involving casting Donate on your own
Illusions of Grandeur, with Necropotence used for card drawing... Cocoa
Pebbles is another Necro type deck I believe...)