Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
i have recently reinstalled win xp corporate on my pc
P4 2.4 Asus PEP4 MoBo
512Mb PC2100 ddram
80G barracuda 4 hdd 7200rpm
S-Media Gforce 4 128 video card
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
im at my witts end I reinstsalled the os because i thought that a game that i had installed on the pc had caused some conflicts that caused the whole thing to slow down when opening ANY app inc things like task manager so i reformated the whole drive on another identical pc and after installing the baqsics ( offfice logitech mouse creative sound stuff, havent even installed printer yet)
my old pc a P3 450 can still open word docs PSP images etc about 2-3 times faster than my new one WHY WHY WHY AAARRRGGGH its not a virus. i have already defraged the bloody thing ive checked all the hardware to see if its all the pieces are in position properly etc etc
please give me a clue im sick of going on coffee breaks every time i want to open an app
i.e. it takes 18 seconds to open word 13 seconds for MSIE and then when i close the apps and try to reopen them it wil be faster but ony by about 1 second NOW THAT SHOULDNT BE!!
any and all assistance would be very much appreciated.
I have considered that it may be a problem with my ram module if so how do i check this without have to go and buy another stick (the 512 is one stick)I want to try to fix this problem and not fart around for days on end with the pc in bits i use it alot
i hope that this all makes sense im a bit upset right now after spending all that money and having a lemon (im sure i bought a pc not a PieCe of fruit)

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
if i were you i would go to the error console and see if there are any ram errors etc...

go to
settings-
control panel-
administrator tools-
computer manegment-

then under computer managment there is a thing called event viewer.

in here i would check if there are any ram problems or other errors!! it logs them all (well probably not but you may find what the problem is, if its obvious)

that may not help you understand anything at all though.

also have you checked your HDD is goin at udma5 (i thinks thats what it should be going at)

Alltaken

Fatguts

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
checked the event manager and there was a [-peep-] load of errors mostly yto do with the cdrom not reponding to a couple of cds
there were a cople of entries about the system hanging but nothing about the ram or any memory probs
as far as the udma5 checking how do i go about thet?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
There has been a report of the SP1 slowing everything down. It’s rare, but have you notice any difference before and after the SP1?

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.

Fatguts

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
to all those ppl that offered help thankyou
you'll never believe what the problem was
it was my virus scanner. when it was installed it was set to scan ALL opening files ALL closing files and ALL opening programmes. as with a lot of these problems i found the answer by chance
i thought perhaps that the video drivers may have needed to be upgraded so just before instaling the new drivers i went to disable the virus scanner and low and behold everything started to open a lot faster, strange so i cheked the settings and there it was whew!! am i glad. (if only i had found this a little sooner then i wouldnt have had to lug the sledge hammer from the shed ready to use as the next alternative)

Fatguts

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
your right
everything is back to the way it should be
i checked the settings on the other 3 pc's that i have here and they all have this setting enabled nad it doesnt effect the running of the apps (well not noticably that is) so this has to be a conflict with win xp the other machines are running win 98 and win98se but then what can you expect form an os called windoze. (so now a nice email to vet to see if they have heard this prob before, at least i dont have it anymore, the prob that is LOL)