best video card for gaming for the kids

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi
ok, i have read just about all that has been posted about video cards. geForce vs Radeon. they seem to all have some cons. and i understand that you guys feel strongly for certain brands. i am trying to build a computer that will be used for gaming for my kids. i dont really want to spend $400 on a card, tho. but i dont want to have to replace it in a few years. we are going with a P4 2.8 800FSB, an ASUS mb, (catch is which one, P4P800 Deluxe or P4C800 Deluxe, right now it depends on where i get the comp parts, online or here in town) i see where the GeF' cards are not so good. then i read where the Radian have drawbacks. in town, they have most of the GeF's ones. the Radian ones, more limited: 9500Pro, 9600Pro and the 9800pro. i really would prefer to buy local. so which video card will not heat up the interior of the case? which one is good or better for gaming for the kids. which one will not be a compatibility problem. (oh, the memory will be 2x 512 DDR PC3200 (Samsung).
i really would like some comments on this. from what i have read, everyone thats posts here, really knows what they are talking about. i would like to narrow this down.
if the case makes a difference i need to know. we have 2 picked out. one online and one local. of course, the local one is more expensive, bigger, has 2 fans in back and will have the neon light added per my kids' request.
please, gentlemen, help. i would like to decide on it soon, as we would like to start on it. i am also getting a bit confused and i need help.
thanks!!
suzy

ps, even tho this is a gaming computer, i would like for it also to be used for home-made videos and pictures. i have quite abit of pictures that i like to look at. also, i have software that requires very good graphics. of course, this isnt my computer.... :)

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Get the P4P if its significantly cheaper (thats the 865 right? makin sure i dont have it backwards...)
Asus has a BIOS for that board that enables some 1337 memory timing stuff and it performs very closely to the 875 (P4C) board almost all the time.

Neways, about the vid card... well, I'm not gonna lie to you, even though you want to buy locally, I don't recommend buying an nVidia card right now. The Geforce FX5600 non-ultra sucks, and the 256mb one is just pointless, and the FX5600 ultra (128mb) isnt out yet, so nVidia should pretty much be out of the question for you. (The 5600 is their mid-range card.)

So, I am going to recommend a 9700 non-pro, which can be had for around 200-220.

Long live ATI.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Since you can't buy a Radeon 9700 (non-Pro), then buy Radeon 9500 Pro. However, always look for a Radeon 9700 (non-Pro). It's a better buy than Radeon 9500 Pro.

And if you care about video quality, then ATI is a better choice than nVidia.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
sinse you seem to be looking at a mid range card, then i also recomend the Radeon 9500pro or 9700nonpro

they are the best bang for the buck right now, great performance at a cheaper price than Nvidia.

your rihgt alot of us DO prefer certain brands, but its for a reason. the past year Nvidia has been producing sub-par products that are often a good 70-100 dollars higher than the ATI product its meant to compete with. and the ATI cards are faster. especially in rendering DirectX 9 special effects, which is what future games are going to require.

im trying not to be biased here. for Nvidia, if you want to go that route because in the past they were more popular than ATI and so stores often carry more Nvidia products, the TI4600 is a "decent" card. it is fast, BUT your lacking DirectX 9 compatibility. its DirecX 8 hardare. meaning future titles will run slower and wont show all the special effects that are supposed to be seen.

the video card market is very confusing. ATI and Nvidia name products in a very deceiving way, and lie right to your face. they will claim that their product is faster when it fact it obviously isnt.

if you want reassurance just take some time to read articles on the internet. Tomhardware articles are often accurate and unbiased. when reading benchmarks note the pixel shader rendering performance as this is becoming more and more important

and Willamete. i dont think she knows what "1337" means hahaha..

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
The 9500 Pro is pretty much perfect. Try to get either that or a 9600 Pro or a 9700 Non-Pro.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=389&s=1fee5dab901bebe29da7aa1c2658fc6f" target="_new"><font color=red>dhlucke's system</font color=red></A>

<font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> <font color=red>BLESS</font color=red> <font color=blue>AMERICA</font color=blue>

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi
thanks guys!!! and yes, i dont know what that means, but if someone mentioned it- than i do know its important!
ok, where do i find the 9500pro or the 9700non-pro???? not here in town, unfortunately.
and i went to a few online sites and counldn't find either.
i think i would like the latest one, being the 9700non-pro?
locally they have:
RAd: 9600 128 Pro (bestbuy has new for $200)
9700 128 AIW ( i dont think this in non-pro?)
9700 128 Pro
9800 128 Pro (over 400 dollars)
now what do i do?
i really want to thank everyone. i think i was getting confused because you all know what you are talking about and sometimes refer to them using only numbers. well, for someone who is trying to keep at all straight, it was a bit confusing. but, i am understanding alot more and more.
thanks!!!

suzy

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Some of the biggest pros for buying a 9600 are the overclocking capabilities, which you probably aren't interested in, but it is a great card nonetheless. The 9700 Pro will las you longer than the 9600, and is very capable of running pretty much anything of today or tomorrow. The 9700 AIW is a pro, it includes all the features of the the 9700 Pro, plus extra features. I could tell you the details, but you'd be better off to find the review here at Tom's Hardware.

I'm a born barbershopper...

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi,
i can buy a Radeon 9600pro here in town for $200.
i have 2 - Radeon 9700's to choose from.
the one in town here is "Radeon 9700 AIW" -but i think this is a pro, tho, right?, its $400. so i dont want this one? (just double checking)
the one online is called "power color Radeon 9700 Gold 128MB DDR CRT+TV+DVI 8X AGP" for about $200.
someone said the 9600pro was for overclocking. the 9700 is not? i keep seeing you guys talk about overclocking. i might want to do this, but have to figure out what it is- :).

i still feel $400 is alot for a video card. but, i dont want to replace it down the road with a better card.
so, out of the 3 that i have found, what does everyone feel i should get?

i really do want to thank everyone! this computer is really starting to shape up! i have always wanted to build one, as i buy one, then swap out stuff before i ever use it!!

thanks!!
suzy

cleeve

Illustrious
The "power color Radeon 9700 Gold 128MB DDR CRT+TV+DVI 8X AGP" for $200... that's the one you want!!!

The $400 "AIW" version is basically the same as the $200 card, but with television and video capture support.
The $400 "AIW" video card lets you hook a TV cable up to your computer and watch television on your monitor, asd well as capture video from a camcorder and edit it on your computer.

If you don't need the television and video editing features, don't bother buying the $400 AIW version.

The $200 Radeon 9700 will be just as good for gaming purposes.

- Cleeve

TheCommGuy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I say Radeon also- but the 9500 Pro is good too. What game do you plan on them playing and such. I recommend newegg.com- they are good about online and such.

<font color=blue>/Next time there is a war in Europe- the loser gets stuck with France this time.</font color=blue> Support your troops!!!!

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
guys, she said she was going to get it

you can stop talkin up ATI now heh

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi
yes, its been decided, but to answer your question, heck if i know what my kids have for games! :) i have a teenager now, so his games will probably be something i dont want to know about-ggg

i think the games we have now are very low or unheard of on this forums users list- i know we have alot of trouble with the lego games bombing.

oh, the kids said: hard truck 2 bombs (gives a green screen on acceleration), lego extreme stunts - freezes in the middle of the game, tonka garage bombs alot.
ones that work, they play- flight simulator, top gun, etc.

not game related, and i am on the bottom of the list, but i need good graphics for my stuff.

suzy

TheCommGuy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
Yeah sounds like you are on the right track- hope it all works out!!!

<font color=blue>/Next time there is a war in Europe- the loser gets stuck with France this time.</font color=blue> Support your troops!!!!

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
okay no offence but is that Lego game all ur kids plays?? cause if that's the case even 9700 non-pro is a extreme over kill for it but if u play recent games like Unreal 2k3 Unreal 2 Warcraft then it would be fine but Lego?? come on a Ti4200 will be able to run that eyes closed lol

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% Nvidia Fanboy
Athlon 64......nForce 3, it sure sucks when you can't afford things. One day Operton Servers will cost less than $4000 so everyone can get one

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Yeah, you say you have a teenager (boy)?
Get him some M rated first person shooters. If hes new to it itll take him a while to get good but trust me hell love it. Those are the ONLY games to play man! Thats all I play! Plus some CCG.
And the games you dont want to know about are Postal 2 and GTA 3 (Vice City included).
Those are both cool games also though, lol:)

Long live ATI.

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi
no offense taken. i have all boys. teen is oldest. Legos is being played by a 5 year old. (he gets the laptop now)
my other sons are just starting to get into the hotter games. thus, the need for a better video card. i havent let the boys get the cooler games, as i said we need a new computer (even tho we probably didnt). i need a computer that will handle the current hot teen and up games and then new ones that come out, as i am not going to keep buying a new computer every few years like i have been. (we have 3 now) thats why i am building this one with almost all components being tol's. i dont know what games my kids are going to want. this phase is just starting. but i do know i want a better graphics card, so when they see a game, i can say ok and get it and not have to even worry about that big of a video card. it just seems the video card plays an important role in the games they want. so if this video card is overkill on games that teenage boys want to play, then yes, i dont need it.
so, those who have teenage boys, tell me, what do i need for a video card for the games that they play?????
also, what are the games for them? (i see some listed already.)
we have alot of games for PS2, gamecube, GBA's, that are war, racing, heck all sorts of stuff. the computer is just next to get these.
lego's is all the 5yr old played, next year he is off to school so it wont matter. but he likes to play the ones his older brothers play, so i figured i best be prepared.

suzy

palle

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
well,I think you will need that 9700 ATI card,dont worry about overkill:).The games my boys play(14-15 years old) is Warcraft3,Command and Conker Generals.I myself play Unreal Tournament 2003,Quake3,Thing..etc..and I have a Radeon9700por.In Unreal you need all the power you can get
but many games run smooth on a geforce3 ti200 for example.
good luck with your new pc!dont forget the display is very important too for the visual effects.

have fun,be lucky

Suzy

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
hi
thanks. i just know one of them will want a game and i will of wished i got the better/bigger video card. so hopefully, this will do it!!
oh, they are getting my 19"flat-screen monitor and come my birthday or xmas i hope i am getting a flat panel ! yes!!!!

oh, command and conquer is one they want. not sure on others.

thanks!!!

suzy

jaythaman

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I want a mommy who buys me a radeon 9700 * crying *

<font color=blue>This cat is cat a cat good cat way cat to cat keep cat an cat idiot cat busy cat for cat 20 cat seconds cat. :tongue: </font color=blue><font color=red><b><i>Jay Kay</font color=red></b></i>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
for lego games!

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
my mommy bought me clothes! shes a cool mom!

-------