Dell Vostro A90: A Corporate Mini 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
It's nice but all laptops are the same for some reason. If you want good performance you have to basically give an arm and a leg to obtain it. And the are a prime example of why Macs suck. What is an upgrade for a laptop?? More RAM?? Or if you want to upgrade the graphics what do you do??? I upgraded my FX laptop that had a 8800GTS in it to the 9800GTS that came in the newer one. I had to go to ebay and buy a broken 7870u laptop and break it open. Well worth it but a pain in the butt.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
hey, the article is about Dell, not Apple. Apple wasnt even mentioned anywhere. And no, the hackintosh reference doesnt count ;)

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Sounds good except I don't think they should sell an XP machine with only 8GB of drive. 512MB of ram is OK for lots of uses, I have an old Inspiron with XP and 512MB, but I couldn't live with an 8GB drive.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
$345 list price, but most businesses will probably sign a 3-year lease at $50/month or something ridiculous. I've never understood why corporations lease computers. You lease cars so you don't have to pay the full price of the car, and someone takes it off yours hands when the lease is up. However, computer leasing tends to lead to paying 2-3 times the value of the computer, and for what?

bunnyblaster

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
For cash flow reasons. Asking a business to fork out 350 one hundred times all at once is more difficult to swallow than 50 one hundred times.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Also for tax and accounting reasons. Leasing is basically paying for the projected depreciation over the lease term. In the US, you can write off the entire lease payment at tax time. When the lease is up, you return the item and lease new equipment. If you bought the equipment, you can write off a pre-calculated depreciation amount, but are stuck trying to recoup the cost after the useful life is up. For tax reasons, it MUCH easier to just lease.

G

8GB is lots of space. I have XP Pro, Office 2003 installed on 8GB and still have 3GB left over. The key is to use nLite so that you can slim down the install and remove the superfluous that isn't needed.

solarscreen

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I just used my Mini 9 for a trip and was pleased with the performance. I have the 16GB drive and 2GB of ram. The key for data is to use the SDHC slot and put a 16GB card in it. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS