• Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Motherboards
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 8, 2003 3:58:34 PM

Hi all

Would it be good to chouse Radeon 9700pro if i am playing games alot??? i have a AMD 1.6 GHZ with 512ddr. and a DFI motherboard.. and if here is anyone from denmark who can tell me where i can buy it.

From Niclas

More about : radeon 9700pro good

June 8, 2003 4:18:32 PM

It should suit you just fine. It is powerful enough to last a long time and is a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, I'm not from Denmark, but you should be able to buy it online no problem.

I'm a born barbershopper...
June 8, 2003 5:07:32 PM

you asked:
"Would it be good to chouse Radeon 9700pro if i am playing games alot??? i have a AMD 1.6 GHZ with 512ddr. and a DFI motherboard.."

i would say for a little more money your better off upgrading you platform first, the vid card will get less expensive in time and if you plan to play d3, veicong, etc.. newer dx games and dx9 then the card will help a bit but not that much.
heres an example.

my ti4600 on a kt266a via chipset with an 1800+ at 1.53 would run most any dx7/8 games ok, it got real crappy in black hawk down, veit cong, doom3 etc.. though, i upgraded the platform, mobo/cpu/memory, and saw i doubled my frame rates and performance with the same vid card in all my games.

granted i bought more stuff than i needed, but for a little more than a 9700pro you could do the same.

i coincidentaly added a 9700 pro to the system yesterday after running the ti4600 first.

the two cards on the new platform dont show a big difference in older games, like q3, counterstrike, etc.. but in d3 or vc, or 3dmark 03 the difference was night and day.
so if you get the vid card now when it is more expensive, i think youll still see a need for speed when you try these newer games.

whereas if you do the platform instead you should improve all existing games and get ready for the new ones, then later you can grap a 9700pro for $200 when they come down.
i got mine yesterday at a show for 275$

i found one online as well www.ocsystem.com under vid cards, they offer it for 275, they also have a level 1, 2, and 3 overclocked by them to different specs, etc...
just my opinion.

i remember i added a 400$ voodoo 5 5500 to a k6-2 450 thinking i would see a boost in performance when actualy i saw niothing at all, i twas the chipset and cpu that were choking me.
i think i couldve added a fx 5900 and still seen the same performance.
Related resources
June 8, 2003 5:18:17 PM

It kind of depends on what your current system looks like, Niclas.

Your CPU will be a bottleneck, but so what, a 1.6Ghz CPU paired with a 9700Pro plays everything on the market just fine. I "only" have a AXP1800+ and I bought a 9700Pro.
I only had a TNT2m64 though, so the upgrade was necesary.

You could get a 9700Pro now, and upgrade the rest of the components later. That´s my plan anyway.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>
June 8, 2003 8:36:41 PM

Yeah, totally listen to Ghostdog, I dont know wtf lumper has been smoking.
Do you mean Athlon XP1600 or 1.6 ghz? You understand that Athlon xps use a rating system, a 1600 only runs at like 1.33 ghz or something. 1600mhz would be an athlon xp 1900.

Anyways, upgrading ur cpu/mobo/memory would of course increase performance, but lumper has been smoking too much crack.
I had a ti4400 and went from a 1900, kt266a, 512ddr 266 to a 2700, a7n8x, 512ddr 333 and saw a big performance increase, but not DOUBLE you moron! Be realistic.
Plus you dont know what hes upgrading from.

However, as false as his statement may be, its not a bad idea to upgrade your cpu/mobo/memory now and vid card later.

Now is actually a very good time to upgrade your cpu/mobo/memory because u can get some really good stuff really cheap.
just make sure you get an nforce 2 board, and at least ddr333, and a 166mhz fsb thoroughbred b core (barton/non dosnt matter much).
Cause then 6months - year from now you could get a Radeon 9800/9900 pro for 300.
And all those 1337 DX9 games arent out yet, but they would be then.

Long live ATI.
June 9, 2003 6:15:18 PM

Thx for all the answers.
I have in mind i would buy gfx card then upgrade computer,
but i have a 1.6GHZ like a 1900+

but i dont know what p.s i should use. cause i allready have a too little powersupply.
so could anyone give me a list of what would be good to buy?? so i could get a up to date computer.. cause my motherboard SUX big time.

From
Niclas
June 9, 2003 6:44:26 PM

A 1.6 Ghz 1900+ Athlon will complement a 9700 PRO micely. I wouldn't bother getting a new MOBO yet. First get the videocard and see how it works for you... should be real nice. If it isn't, you can always get a new mobo later.

A strong powersupply is a must. Get at least a 350 watt name brand (Enermax, Antec, etc.) or a 450 watt generic.
If you have a crappy power supply, that will cause miserable stability issues.
June 9, 2003 8:21:08 PM

I would not touch those enhanced radeon 9700 cards from OCSystem.com They loose stability very quickly and artifact too much. Just get thier standard radeon 9700 pro and take the free shipping. But you better have a 8x board or the card will perform less than a ti4600.
June 9, 2003 9:17:50 PM

Quote:
But you better have a 8x board or the card will perform less than a ti4600.

You sure about that? I've heard that 8x AGP is more of a marketing ploy and is not currently optimized. You only gain something like 2-4% with 8x. If that.

So 4x AGP will more than suffice. Don't worry too much about AGP 8x as it doesn't really add much performance. And going from a Ti4600 to a 9700Pro will give you a HUGE performance increase. I don't know what addiarmadar is talking about.
June 10, 2003 1:06:37 AM

lol NO~~~ 9700 pro is bad!!!! go get yourself either a dustbuster or a Voodoo 5 lol that will satify your hunger for gaming power and it warms you in a winter night~~

(just in case you haven't realise i am being sarcastic)

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% Nvidia Fanboy
Athlon 64......nForce 3, it sure sucks when you can't afford things. One day Operton Servers will cost less than $4000 so everyone can get one
June 10, 2003 2:06:14 AM

LOL you gotta be kidding me right???
Thats like saying "is the Ferrari 360 modena still ok? cBecause they released a newer car."

The R9700pro is probably actually overkill for your system, and it will be your CPU that holds back gaming performance (but not by much)

Now is the time if you want tog et a R9700pro... the 9800 has driven down its price quite nicely.

Hell even the 9700 nonpro will be very good for you.

<font color=blue>Many modern games <b>must</b> be played multiplayer. And those you encounter online are, almost as a rule, <b>complete and utter cockmongers.</b></font color=blue> :frown:
June 10, 2003 9:48:34 AM

Quote:
But you better have a 8x board or the card will perform less than a ti4600.

Complete bullshit, courtesy of Addiarmadar.

An board with AGP4x will do fine, does for me. If your motherboard only has AGP2x you might want to upgrade the rest of the system first, and then the graphics card.
But what kind of a system do you have at the moment Niclas?

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>
June 10, 2003 1:38:48 PM

so true... AGP 8X is (for the moment at least) just a marketing gimmic like ATA133.
Except in isolated instances it provided limited real world advantages.

COurse all things change in time.

<font color=blue>Many modern games <b>must</b> be played multiplayer. And those you encounter online are, almost as a rule, <b>complete and utter cockmongers.</b></font color=blue> :frown:
June 11, 2003 5:33:09 AM

So i am gonna buy a Readon 9700pro now when i get payed. then i opgrade my computer after that.. then i should be perfect???
but can anyone tell me what would be good???
motherboard=
cpu=
i have the RAM
and 1 hardisk... maybe 120g but what kind.???

Thx for all the helping.
From Niclas
June 11, 2003 12:22:09 PM

And going from a Ti4600 to a 9700Pro will give you a HUGE performance increase. I don't know what addiarmadar is talking about.
BULLSHIT! There is not a huge increase in these two cards if they are used with standard settings and resolutions up to 1024x768. After that, the 9700pro places itself in a league of it's own. Perhaps be more specific with your replies next time troll!
June 11, 2003 1:04:48 PM

mobo, cpu, ram?
how long is a piece of string? how much money can u spend? Work out what u can afford, then try to find the best for your dollar.

If you want to save money, try to keep things like the mobo or ram and just upgrade the CPU.

i recommend the WD 1200JB. big drive. fast drive. not too expensive with 8mb cache and a ncie 3 year warantee.

August 28, 2003 11:32:12 AM

thx cleeve. wise words :)  and i have jsut got me a 350 enermax. but i dont really work anything els on my computer.. it still reboot 1 day a week :(  its really crap. but i am talking to some people in denmark about it.

and i am getting the 9700pro.
Thx to you all replies.
!