good MTG forums?

Jim

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

The MTG usenet groups are so full of spam now that they're hopeless.
Can anyone recommend a good online forum for discussion and strategy?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

In news:4194b059$0$6542$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au,
Jim <jim@hotmail.com> rambled:

> The MTG usenet groups are so full of spam now that they're hopeless.
> Can anyone recommend a good online forum for discussion and strategy?

I check out the message boards at www.starcitygames.com,
www.magicthegathering.com, and www.mtgnews.com. They seem to be at three
different levels - starcity seems to be geared toward the more competetive
player, magicthegathering.com seems to be a lower "power" level - that is,
more casual players, but a lot of strategy discussion as well. Mtgnews seems
to be the most casual of the three. However, in the weeks leading up to the
release of a new set, that's the place to go for sneak peaks of new cards.
They seem to get ahold of all the leaked cards first, which is kind of neat.

HTH.

--

KB

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:45:25 +0800, Jim <jim@hotmail.com> wrote:
>The MTG usenet groups are so full of spam now that they're hopeless.

?? You may be looking at the ones in the alt.* hierarchies, or at the
old OLD old rec.games.deckmaster group. I assure you that this group, .misc,
and its friends .strategy and .rules are a fairly good example of NOT "full
of spam"...

(And .announce hasn't had anything posted in years, alas.)

Dave

"David DeLaney" <dbd@gatekeeper.vic.com> escribió en el mensaje
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:45:25 +0800, Jim <jim@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >The MTG usenet groups are so full of spam now that they're hopeless.
>
> ?? You may be looking at the ones in the alt.* hierarchies, or at the
> old OLD old rec.games.deckmaster group. I assure you that this group,
..misc,
> and its friends .strategy and .rules are a fairly good example of NOT
"full
> of spam"...

It may be due to the newsgroup provider. I do get some spam from time to
time.

> (And .announce hasn't had anything posted in years, alas.)

BTW, the answers provided by Ken Briscoe are good advice. I also check
www.brainburst.com and several local websites, but then again, I´m a MTG
addict.

Greetings,

Gustavo Fischer

Jim

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Must be my ISP feed. I see 22 threads for November in
rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc. 7 of these threads are spam.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:13:14 +0800, Jim <jim@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Must be my ISP feed. I see 22 threads for November in
>rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc. 7 of these threads are spam.

Are they the one-post-each spam from the idiot who's apparently trying to
get someone else's email way overspammed? He's posting one per day,
approximately, and that's nearly all the spam we're getting... looking at
a week or two's worth of it would look different, I guess, but "one a day"
doesn't trip my enragement filters.

Dave