Repair Windows On Other HDD

huntern321

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I had a problem recently,
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/7529-63-windows-registry-compression .
in the end, I bought a new HDD and installed windows on it, now that i can access my old hard drive again, is there any way to fix it so it will boot properly. I believe registry files were corrupted by a 3rd party program. So would transferring files from the new installation to the old and replacing them the old work? first i would need to know what files to replace.

thanks in advance. :p

Jonmor68

Distinguished
I take it the same OS is on both drives.
First, if you have the OS installed and working on the new drive, there is no point in repairing the old one to boot.
If you have activated the new instalation, you will not be able to use both at the same time. You would have to disconnect the new drive in order to repair the old one.
So the choice is keep using the new drive (best option) and reinstall your programs, get your data off the old drive and use it for storage and backups.
Connect the old drive, make sure the new drive is set as first boot drive in bios.
Once you have the old drive connected you can then recover whatever files you want off it an copy them across into the relavent folders, data files only, such as documents, photos, music and any programs in your download folder.
Once sure you have everything you want off it, quick format the drive and use it for storage.
To repair the OS on the old drive, disconnect the new one (unplug it) use your W7 dvd to boot with and choose the repair option. It may or may not be succesful depending on what caused the problem.
If it's repaired ok, you can decide to keep using it and reconnect the other drive and make sure it's not set to boot in bios and format it for use as data drive. I would not do this for a couple of days to make sure all is well.
If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck

huntern321

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009

The repair option on the install DVD does not fix anything. Also I would have to spend 10 or so hours to replace everything on the new drive!!! :cry: I have 700 GB of My terraByte used on my old drive and would prefer to use that one. I currently have both drive plugged in and working. And I am booting off the new drive with the Working OS. unless there was a way to transfer my programs over without the typical Install process, I am opting for the old patented fixit method. Do you know of any programs capable of this?

JessicaD

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

Have you tried to use Fixboot / Fixmbr?

For more information please see the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
BTW, most people will tell you not to use a registry cleaner because of the problems(like you found out about), but I have been using EFRC(Eusing Free Registy Cleaner) for years now, came to China and wan't long before I was fixing them here,and used it on OLD computers with(the Highest count was just over 5000 issues, and not a problem from cleaning, when you install it and run a dialog box comes up with a request for a donation to support the work, they do send a registration code, but you can choose Skip and it runs just fine( I did donate, it is good software, support the dev's)