Monitor's acting strange

nexus73

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003
I have a Gateway 21" monitor and was using a GForce 2 Pro card with my system. But I've upgraded to a Radeon 9500 Pro and now after about 5 minutes or so the whole left side of the video display shakes. The longer I use the PC the more the picture moves. I've tried changing the resolution and that fixes it for a little while and I've also tried doing a Degauss which also has the same effect. Either way .. the left side of the display jumps, only the left side though. It doesn't seem that it would be the monitor because it only started doing this after I put the 9500 Pro in and the monitor itself is fairly new. I really like the card .. its a great performer for the money, WTG ATI !!
Thanks for your suggestions.

cleeve

Illustrious
That ain't supposed to happen, dude.

The only thing I can think that would cause that sort of effect would be a magnetic field on that side of the monitor (Caused maybe by an unshielded speaker?)

Unless anybody else has any idea what might cause that, my recommendation is to RMA the card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Try changing your refresh rate. Also make sure your monitor was properly redetected by Windows when you installed the new card.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

TheCommGuy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
It could be either the monitor, the video cable or the card. I'm thinking it is the card mostly because if it was the gun inside the monitor you would see it all over your screen after a while. Even though the ATI is a good type of card, new doesn't mean good and I would call about maybe getting an RMA. But even before you do that- I would recommend possibly ensuring you have removed all the Nvidia drivers and blowing out the Radeon drivers and re-installing everything. Double check your card maker's website for any bios/drivers updates. Even double check with the monitors refresh rate and such and see if everything matches.

But I don't think it's the monitor.

<font color=blue>/Next time there is a war in Europe- the loser gets stuck with France this time.</font color=blue> Support your troops!!!!

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Try putting your old card back in. If it works right off the bat the good news is it's not your monitor. Bad news is if you went from nVidia to ATI you have to reformat and reinstall Windows. Have fun! :lol:

120% Klipsch Fanboy!!! :cool:

Latest posts