9700 pro wont boot. (cusl2)

StarGazer79

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
ok ok, i've been fiddling with this for hours... just got my new baby, an ati radeon 9700 pro (oem i think no brand anyway)

now... ive got a chieftech case with 360 watt PS, a CUSL2 Mobo, 512 ram. the only thing i can think of is that i got my card from the us recently and am installing it in scandinavia.. but that doent really make sense either...

the card must be ok.. since it works on the older pc with the bx440 chipset (dual slot 1)... and toms hardware used this board in one of the reviews for the 9700 pro.

perhaps if i could find out what settings they used for the board and bios revision i could try setting up the same things. ... please help... otherwise this is going to be one expensive paperweight. :)

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Some more information about your computer would be helpful.
Ive never heard of a CUSL2 mobo either..
Has the computer worked in the past with a different graphics card?
If the whole system is new, and was purchased from a dealer/vendor in the US, maybe you need to flip the switch on the power supply to 240v instead of 120v (its like that in scandinavia right?)

What happens when you try to boot?

Long live ATI.

StarGazer79

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
well the mobo is acutally about 3 years old.. tit was used in a toms hdarware review for low end system.. however i got a real good deal on the price and am awaitn next pay check to upgrade. however it may be a while was hoping to use this in the meantime.. ive used a geforce 2mx till now.. so the upgrade is a rather wanted one as you can understand...

full system specs.
p3 667
512 133mhz memmory,
80 gig WD HDD 8 meg
sblive value.
pretty standard (read as unknown network card)

thats about it
the cusl2, was one of the better boards of its time. thougt expensive.. at least as i understood it.

ive unplugged everythign excepty memmory processor and video card to test why it wont boot.. so next step is to test memmroy.. but im really hoping it AINT the memmory :(

any one have any ideas why it jsut gives mea black screen?

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Are you plugging in the additional power connector into the back of the ATI card?
Did you uninstall all nVidia drivers before putting this card in?

If not put your old one back in and delete all nVidia drivers.

Long live ATI.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Willamette_Sucks on 06/09/03 08:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
You could try what i had to do.
When i put in my R9700Pro it wouldn't get past the RAID drive detection. I had to flash the latest bios in order for it to work sucessfully.

Time to flash your bios too?

<font color=blue>Many modern games <b>must</b> be played multiplayer. And those you encounter online are, almost as a rule, <b>complete and utter cockmongers.</b></font color=blue> :frown:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The CUSL2 was considered THE best board of it's time! I bought one based on Tom's recommendation...then found out all my BX boards performed better and sold it!

You might have a power problem. For a cheap solid power supply I recommend the $32 350W power supply from Fortron at Newegg.

Almost forgot, I heard these cards work better using USWC rather than UC setting in BIOS, which your board does have.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

StarGazer79

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
Well, i tried falshing the bios 3 times :)... i actually backed it up to the latest version availble on the assu site. 1009a i think.. from the 1014 beta 1... thougth 1014 seemed much better.

ive noticed that the card now works.... SOMETIMES.. its so wierd.. oh and my mouse stops reposning after a while. i think its my PS, chieftech one.. but it was rated at 360 watt so???
i guess im getting an eneremax this afternoon. 430 watt if i can afford it. that shoudl take care of the power porblem..
but i just dont get it... my spare pc with jus as much plugged in with a codegen 300 watt, runs it all fine! BOGGLE!!!.

anyway.. it works though its temptrmental :) but it was real nice to be able to run some nice nature demos :)

i cant wait till i actualyl get it running at enough quiality that i can play games... wow

hmm anywaone had bad xpireinces iwth enermax or chieftech before?.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
interesting... but sometimes PSU's just die.
Good to see you have found your solution.

Ive never had chieftec, nor have my friends... just dont get em over here.
Enermax ive got, as have 2 friends... all happy users. :) enermax are goooood.

<font color=blue>Many modern games <b>must</b> be played multiplayer. And those you encounter online are, almost as a rule, <b>complete and utter cockmongers.</b></font color=blue> :frown:

StarGazer79

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
hmmm well i cahnged my mind.. the new article on power supplies convinced me to order one of the winners.. sincei can get my hands on it cheaper and better than the enermax