OOTS: That settles it...

"Mark Blunden" <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote in
news:3pjenmFaq9rkU1@individual.net:

> ...Rich Burlew definitely reads this group.
>
> http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=224

And I'm beginning to wonder if some of the characters are based on
regulars.

--
"So there is no third law of Terrydynamics."
-- William Hyde

Rupert Boleyn wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2005 18:01:27 -0700, "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com>
> carved upon a tablet of ether:
>

> > Mark Blunden wrote:
> > > ...Rich Burlew definitely reads this group.
> > >
> > > http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=224
> > >

> > *scritch scritch scritch*.
> >
> > I'm not seeing it. What is the giveaway?
>
> "There aren't even rules for sleeping, you know!!"

I shade off topic, I know, but does anyone else hate these types of
characters? Their characters live off a diet of turnips and water
because it's the cheapest. They're dressed in commoner's clothes. They
sleep in their armour (if they can).

Even my group's powergamer at least had the roleplaying skills to
flaunt his money at the closest restaurants.

Rupert Boleyn wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2005 18:33:13 -0700, "Nick vanRjin" <snikers000@hotmail.com>
> carved upon a tablet of ether:
>
> > I shade off topic, I know, but does anyone else hate these types of
> > characters? Their characters live off a diet of turnips and water
> > because it's the cheapest. They're dressed in commoner's clothes. They
> > sleep in their armour (if they can).
> >
> > Even my group's powergamer at least had the roleplaying skills to
> > flaunt his money at the closest restaurants.
>
> As with your group, no one in my groups are that bad. In fact, in one
> of the groups shopping for expensive outfits, throwing expensive
> parties, and generally flaunting wealth takes up far too much of our
> session time.

My current character spent a large chunk of his starting cash on a
masterwork tent and bedroll.

Mere moments before death, Sheldon England hastily scrawled:
>Mark Blunden wrote:
>>
>> ...Rich Burlew definitely reads this group.
>>
>> http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=224
>
>That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. Maybe he even posts here
>disguised as Ron or MSB. ;)

Bah. If he posts here, he *IS* Ron.

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin

Malachias Invictus wrote:

><quuxa23@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>Rupert Boleyn wrote:
>>

>>>On 23 Sep 2005 18:33:13 -0700, "Nick vanRjin" <snikers000@hotmail.com>
>>>carved upon a tablet of ether:

>>>As with your group, no one in my groups are that bad. In fact, in one
>>>of the groups shopping for expensive outfits, throwing expensive
>>>parties, and generally flaunting wealth takes up far too much of our
>>>session time.
>>>

>>My current character spent a large chunk of his starting cash on a
>>masterwork tent and bedroll.
>>

>Nice. *That* is playing in character.

I had a wonderful session once where one of the players spent the
entire evening dealing with the brewery his Fighter owned. What was most
satisfying for me is that the player started out as a Munchkin
Hack-n-Slash style of player. Another character in that campaign had as
one of his duties the task of designing a monthly ball. With complete
themes, costumes and entertainment. Plus security of course... that was
a great campaign... *sigh*

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

Tetsubo wrote:
> Malachias Invictus wrote:
>
>> <quuxa23@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> My current character spent a large chunk of his starting cash on a
>>> masterwork tent and bedroll.
>>>

>> Nice. *That* is playing in character.
>>

> I had a wonderful session once where one of the players spent the
> entire evening dealing with the brewery his Fighter owned. What was most
> satisfying for me is that the player started out as a Munchkin
> Hack-n-Slash style of player. Another character in that campaign had as
> one of his duties the task of designing a monthly ball. With complete
> themes, costumes and entertainment. Plus security of course... that was
> a great campaign... *sigh*

Sounds like it was made for BSE.

Dormammu wrote:
> Tetsubo wrote:
>
>> Malachias Invictus wrote:
>>
>>> <quuxa23@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Nice. *That* is playing in character.
>>>

>> I had a wonderful session once where one of the players spent the
>> entire evening dealing with the brewery his Fighter owned. What was
>> most satisfying for me is that the player started out as a Munchkin
>> Hack-n-Slash style of player. Another character in that campaign had
>> as one of his duties the task of designing a monthly ball. With
>> complete themes, costumes and entertainment. Plus security of
>> course... that was a great campaign... *sigh*
>>

> Sounds like it was made for BSE.

Well, actually, the weird part is that the characters were all BSD...

- Ron ^*^

Nick vanRjin wrote:
> I shade off topic, I know, but does anyone else hate these types of
> characters? Their characters live off a diet of turnips and water
> because it's the cheapest. They're dressed in commoner's clothes. They
> sleep in their armour (if they can).

Yeah. I've had guys like this. They are "saving up" to buy some kick
ass sword or something and they decide to save money by being a street
person. A well armed street person, though.

My characters like to live it up once they get some money. What's the
point of being a great hero if you live like a street urchin?

On 23 Sep 2005 18:01:27 -0700, "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com>
carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Mark Blunden wrote:
> > ...Rich Burlew definitely reads this group.
> >
> > http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=224
> >

> *scritch scritch scritch*.
>
> I'm not seeing it. What is the giveaway?

"There aren't even rules for sleeping, you know!!"

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

WDS wrote:
> Nick vanRjin wrote:
>
>>I shade off topic, I know, but does anyone else hate these types of
>>characters? Their characters live off a diet of turnips and water
>>because it's the cheapest. They're dressed in commoner's clothes. They
>>sleep in their armour (if they can).
>

> Yeah. I've had guys like this. They are "saving up" to buy some kick
> ass sword or something and they decide to save money by being a street
> person. A well armed street person, though.
>
> My characters like to live it up once they get some money. What's the
> point of being a great hero if you live like a street urchin?

My chainfighter, Krass, regularly blows his coin on living extravagantly
(as listed in the DMG) whenever he has the chance.

For him, "extravagant living" means GOOD-LOOKING prostitutes and QUALITY
booze, as opposed to the usual half-orc wharf whores and goblin ale.

- Ron ^*^

"Rupert Boleyn" <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> On 23 Sep 2005 18:33:13 -0700, "Nick vanRjin" <snikers000@hotmail.com>
> carved upon a tablet of ether:
>
>> I shade off topic, I know, but does anyone else hate these types of
>> characters? Their characters live off a diet of turnips and water
>> because it's the cheapest. They're dressed in commoner's clothes. They
>> sleep in their armour (if they can).
>>
>> Even my group's powergamer at least had the roleplaying skills to
>> flaunt his money at the closest restaurants.
>
> As with your group, no one in my groups are that bad. In fact, in one
> of the groups shopping for expensive outfits, throwing expensive
> parties, and generally flaunting wealth takes up far too much of our
> session time.

In my "Ultimates Universe Greyhawk" campaign (an Iron Heroes/Elements of
Magic game), pretty much everyone is poor as dirt. I am reducing the wealth
as well, to a "silver standard" (pretty much, replace most gold with
silver). When they get rich, I am fairly certain they are going to live it
up.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

Malachias Invictus wrote:

>"Rupert Boleyn" <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
>

>>On 23 Sep 2005 18:33:13 -0700, "Nick vanRjin" <snikers000@hotmail.com>
>>carved upon a tablet of ether:
>>

>>>I shade off topic, I know, but does anyone else hate these types of
>>>characters? Their characters live off a diet of turnips and water
>>>because it's the cheapest. They're dressed in commoner's clothes. They
>>>sleep in their armour (if they can).
>>>
>>>Even my group's powergamer at least had the roleplaying skills to
>>>flaunt his money at the closest restaurants.
>>>

>>As with your group, no one in my groups are that bad. In fact, in one
>>of the groups shopping for expensive outfits, throwing expensive
>>parties, and generally flaunting wealth takes up far too much of our
>>session time.
>>

>In my "Ultimates Universe Greyhawk" campaign (an Iron Heroes/Elements of
>Magic game), pretty much everyone is poor as dirt. I am reducing the wealth
>as well, to a "silver standard" (pretty much, replace most gold with
>silver). When they get rich, I am fairly certain they are going to live it
>up.

Pretty much every campaign I've run in the past twenty years has
used a Silver based economy. I use Copper, Bronze, Silver and Gold
coins. Platinum still exists but is used for State transfers of money
from one nation to another. I also tend to have Electrum (mid-point coin
between Silver/Gold) as the Elven currency and Mithril (equal to Gold
but available in smaller sizes) as the Dwarven. Most Commoners can go
their entire lives and never see a Gold coin...

--

"KertDawg" <kertishenderson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mark Blunden wrote:
>> ...Rich Burlew definitely reads this group.
>>
>> http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=224
>>

> I think I'm missing something. Can somebody please explain the second
> panel? It sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

Think 'Gauntlet' the arcade and home console video game...

-==-
Jerry Chesko

"Jerry Chesko" <res7g0hd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > I think I'm missing something. Can somebody please explain the second
> > panel? It sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.
>
> Think 'Gauntlet' the arcade and home console video game...

My personal fave: "Elf needs food... BADLY..."

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

On 24 Sep 2005 11:33:57 -0700, "KertDawg"
<kertishenderson@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Mark Blunden wrote:
>> ...Rich Burlew definitely reads this group.
>>
>> http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=224
>>

>I think I'm missing something. Can somebody please explain the second
>panel? It sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

Old arcade video game?