Card Idea

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Hey guys, I have recently thought of an idea for a card that i thought would
be really cool: A card that creates token lands. Any criticism much
appreciated.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 20:35:17 +1300, "Brian Wilkins"
<brwilkins@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>Hey guys, I have recently thought of an idea for a card that i thought would
>be really cool: A card that creates token lands. Any criticism much
>appreciated.

Sure:

Land Engine
<some cost>
Artifact
<another cost>: Put a land token into play.

Of course, it is rather useless unless you have a Lithatog or
something. You could also make the much less useless:

Forest Land Engine
<some cost>
Artifact
<another cost>: Put a Forest land token into play.

Which on the other hand is way too good...

There is nothing in the rules against making land tokens, it is just
hasn't been done yet (for various reasons). If you feel you have a
good idea for a land token use, then please feel free to throw it in
here.

Lithatog
{1}{R}{G}
Creature -- Atog
1/2
Sacrifice an artifact: ~this~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Sacrifice a land: ~this~ gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.REMOVETHIS.dk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 20:35:17 +1300, "Brian Wilkins"
> <brwilkins@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>Hey guys, I have recently thought of an idea for a card that i thought
>>would
>>be really cool: A card that creates token lands. Any criticism much
>>appreciated.
>
> Sure:
>
> Land Engine
> <some cost>
> Artifact
> <another cost>: Put a land token into play.
>
> Of course, it is rather useless unless you have a Lithatog or
> something. You could also make the much less useless:
>
> Forest Land Engine
> <some cost>
> Artifact
> <another cost>: Put a Forest land token into play.
>
> Which on the other hand is way too good...
>
> There is nothing in the rules against making land tokens, it is just
> hasn't been done yet (for various reasons). If you feel you have a
> good idea for a land token use, then please feel free to throw it in
> here.

Alternatively, what about:

Forest Land Engine
Artifact Land
3, Tap: Put a Forest token into play. This token is a land that counts as a
Forest.

"Erich Leibrock" <eleibrock@symDELETETHECAPSpatico.ca> wrote in message
> "Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.REMOVETHIS.dk> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 20:35:17 +1300, "Brian Wilkins"
>> <brwilkins@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>>Hey guys, I have recently thought of an idea for a card that i thought
>>>would
>>>be really cool: A card that creates token lands. Any criticism much
>>>appreciated.
>>
>> Sure:
>>
>> Land Engine
>> <some cost>
>> Artifact
>> <another cost>: Put a land token into play.
>>
>> Of course, it is rather useless unless you have a Lithatog or
>> something. You could also make the much less useless:
>>
>> Forest Land Engine
>> <some cost>
>> Artifact
>> <another cost>: Put a Forest land token into play.
>>
>> Which on the other hand is way too good...
>>
>> There is nothing in the rules against making land tokens, it is just
>> hasn't been done yet (for various reasons). If you feel you have a
>> good idea for a land token use, then please feel free to throw it in
>> here.
>
> Alternatively, what about:
>
> Forest Land Engine
> Artifact Land
> 3, Tap: Put a Forest token into play. This token is a land that counts as
> a Forest.

I was thinking that token lands would be good with cards that let you
sacrifice/return lands to your hand instead of playing their mana cost, ie
Daze, or the entwine cost on Solar Tide.

clayton

"Brian Wilkins" <brwilkins@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> "Erich Leibrock" <eleibrock@symDELETETHECAPSpatico.ca> wrote in message
> > "Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.REMOVETHIS.dk> wrote in message

> >> Sure:
> >>
> >> Land Engine
> >> <some cost>
> >> Artifact
> >> <another cost>: Put a land token into play.
> >>
> >> Of course, it is rather useless unless you have a Lithatog or
> >> something. You could also make the much less useless:
> >>
> >> Forest Land Engine
> >> <some cost>
> >> Artifact
> >> <another cost>: Put a Forest land token into play.
> >>
> >> Which on the other hand is way too good...
> >>
> >> There is nothing in the rules against making land tokens, it is just
> >> hasn't been done yet (for various reasons). If you feel you have a
> >> good idea for a land token use, then please feel free to throw it in
> >> here.
> >
> > Alternatively, what about:
> >
> > Forest Land Engine
> > Artifact Land
> > 3, Tap: Put a Forest token into play. This token is a land that counts as
> > a Forest.
> >

> I was thinking that token lands would be good with cards that let you
> sacrifice/return lands to your hand instead of playing their mana cost, ie
> Daze, or the entwine cost on Solar Tide.

Or potentially ...

Tagion Bog
Legendary Land
During your upkeep, put a Swamp token into play. This token is a land that
counts as a Swamp.
Afterwards, you lose 1 life for every 2 Swamps you control.

Idea being to use Black's self-destructive nature to garner an advantage.
Though it should probably be a 1 for 1 deal on life loss.

Of course, I should be thinking of happy lands ... it is Christmas Day after all

-------
Clayton

Random Tagline:
It's Christmas and the graveyard folk have all come out to play ...

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:24:22 -0500, "Erich Leibrock"
<eleibrock@symDELETETHECAPSpatico.ca> wrote:

>"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.REMOVETHIS.dk> wrote in message

>> Forest Land Engine
>> <some cost>
>> Artifact
>> <another cost>: Put a Forest land token into play.

>Alternatively, what about:
>
>Forest Land Engine
>Artifact Land
>3, Tap: Put a Forest token into play. This token is a land that counts as a
>Forest.

These are the same. A "Forest land token" is a token with the name
"Forest" and the type "land -- Forest". Furthermore having the
landtype "Forest" gives it the ability to tap for green mana.

Eg. the full Oracle text for Taiga is:

Taiga
Land -- Mountain Forest

212.6d The basic land types are Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and
Forest. If an object uses the words "basic land type," it's referring
to one of these subtypes. A land with a basic land type has an
intrinsic ability to produce colored mana. (See rule 406, "Mana
Abilities.") The land is treated as if its text box included, "{oT}:
Add [mana symbol] to your mana pool," even if the text box doesn't
actually contain text. Plains produce white mana; Islands, blue;
Swamps, black; Mountains, red; and Forests, green.

216.1. Some effects put token creatures into play. A token is
controlled by whomever put it into play and owned by the controller of
the spell or ability that created it. The spell or ability may define
any number of characteristics for the token. A token doesn't have any
characteristics not defined by the spell or ability that created it.
The spell or ability that creates the token sets both its name and
creature type at the same time. If the spell or ability doesn't
specify the name of the token, its name is the same as its creature
type(s). A "Goblin Scout creature token," for example, is named
"Goblin Scout" and has the creature subtypes Goblin and Scout. Once a
token is in play, changing its name doesn't change its creature type,
and vice versa.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Simon Nejmann <snejmann@worldonline.REMOVETHIS.dk> wrote:
>These are the same. A "Forest land token" is a token with the name
>"Forest" and the type "land -- Forest".

Er, just a note here, but the rules do not in fact say anything about the last
part. (If it were a creature, its creature type would be the same as its name.
Being as there's no way other than copy cards to make a land token, the rules
don't deal with land tokens...)

>Furthermore having the
>landtype "Forest" gives it the ability to tap for green mana.

Correct, but making one as a token would involve giving it that land type
somehow.

>...If the spell or ability doesn't
>specify the name of the token, its name is the same as its creature
>type(s).

Dave

"Clayton" <redneckdadd@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Brian Wilkins" <brwilkins@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
>>
>> "Erich Leibrock" <eleibrock@symDELETETHECAPSpatico.ca> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Alternatively, what about:
>> >
>> > Forest Land Engine
>> > Artifact Land
>> > 3, Tap: Put a Forest token into play. This token is a land that counts
>> > as
>> > a Forest.
>> >

>> I was thinking that token lands would be good with cards that let you
>> sacrifice/return lands to your hand instead of playing their mana cost,
>> ie
>> Daze, or the entwine cost on Solar Tide.
>
> Or potentially ...
>
> Tagion Bog
> Legendary Land
> During your upkeep, put a Swamp token into play. This token is a land
> that
> counts as a Swamp.
> Afterwards, you lose 1 life for every 2 Swamps you control.
>
> Idea being to use Black's self-destructive nature to garner an advantage.
> Though it should probably be a 1 for 1 deal on life loss.
>
> Of course, I should be thinking of happy lands ... it is Christmas Day
> after all

More like:

Tagion Bog
Legendary Land
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a Swamp token into play. This token
counts as a land.
At the beginning of your draw step, you lose life equal to half the Swamps
you control, rounded up.

I'm not sure that would be a bad card.. Keep in mind that Swamps have the
"natural" ability to produce black mana, so if this is your first land drop,
assuming you drop a Swamp every turn in addition to its own ability, on turn
2 you have BB available (normal), turn 3 you have BBBB available (kind of
like the "speed" of Cabal Ritual), and turn 4 you have BBBBBB (the "speed"
of Dark Ritual). You've lost a land drop on turn 1 but you start
accelerating pretty quickly. Losing 1 life per Swamp means so far you've
lost 9 life if I count that right..

Turn 1: Tagion Bog
Turn 2: Swamp token, lose 1 life (total 19), Swamp; BB available
Turn 3: Swamp token, lose 3 life (total 16), Swamp; BBBB available
Turn 4: Swamp token, lose 5 life (total 11), Swamp; BBBBBB available

Assuming you keep up the pace of Swamp drops, turn 5 you lose 7 (total 4)
and turn 6 you lose 9 (total -5 = dead). I guess the question is, how
quickly can Black win, with this kind of acceleration? Compare this to
losing 1 life per two swamps, rounded up:

Turn 1: Tagion Bog
Turn 2: Swamp token, lose 1 life (total 19), Swamp; BB available
Turn 3: Swamp token, lose 2 life (total 17), Swamp; BBBB available
Turn 4: Swamp token, lose 3 life (total 14), Swamp; BBBBBB available

Which means you lose one more life each turn than the turn before if you
keep dropping Swamps. 1+2+3+4+5+6=21; six upkeeps later, or Turn 7, you'd
lose the game (life total -1). Oddly enough, this is only a single turn
slower than losing one life per swamp.

The other option is, lose half your life, rounded up. Turn 2 you go to 10;
T3=5, T4=2, T5=1, dead Turn 6. (Yes, I know we could do "round down"
instead, but Black doesn't round down :D )

My vote: Half your Swamps, round up. Seven turns should be ample time to
kill your opponent, especially if you're playing with Fun Cards like
Necropotence and Phyrexian Arena =D

Erich