where do i start?

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Just downloaded rage3d tweaker and am i about to start overclocking my connect3d radeon 9500pro.The card is using stock cooling (i.e. standard GPU cooler and no memory cooling).The memory is 3.6ns hynix-unfortunately i had to RMA one which had 3.0ns infineon memory on it :mad: .I have four case fans so my case generally runs cool.I could add a pci exhaust fan if necessary but i would rather not because it is noisy.
What would be a good amount to start to overclock by(default says core=276.65 and memory=270)?
Does it make sense to overclock this way, rather than taking the bios crack route that others seem to be using?

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

selfbuilt

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Unless I'm mistaken, all 9500pros come with a locked BIOS. You would have to flash the BIOS with an unlocked version to get the Rage3D Tweaker overclocking tool to work. Otherwise, any change you make with it won't be effective - but by all means, give it a try and see. Incidentally, why did you have to RMA the earlier card?

Where does good judgement come from? Experience. Where does experience come from? Bad judgement.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
oh right.thanks.where would i get the bios?
As for the RMA, the most annoying thing is that it turned out that i needn't have returned it.I was getting faint wavy scrolling lines going up the screen a lot of the time and i also thought it was underperforming in games.It turned out that the wavy lines are some compatibility issue (and i still have them now but they aren't too noticeable) and the gaming problems were purely because of my unfortunate choice of games and drivers at the time.For example, i was playing Mafia, which had issues with ATI cards which were resolved in Catalyst 3.1 as i recall.quite an annoying experience on the whole!

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
bump.
anyone know where i can get a new bios from?any tips on flashing it?which bios should i get-a 9500 pro one or a different one?i keep hearing of people flashing them with 9700/pro bioses.

okwhen

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
The flash and BIOS file can be found @ www.3dchipset.com/bios/index.php. Please read my posting OKWHEN and if you proceed let me know how it goes. Don't forget to edit the file and put the information from yor original BIOS file.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
the 9500 pro bios says it is a beta version.is that a bit risky?should i be going for that one or trying one of the 9700/pro ones?