What is YOUR ideal gaming store/space?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

So the time is almost at hand for me to sell my current business and
move along to other things.

I have been thinking about opening up a games only store, basically
carrying GW, Wizards, Wizkids & other Role Playing gear. Little or no
comics (maybe some trade paperbacks)

To be honest it isn't going to be about making tons of money as I will
have a reasonable size chunk of change from the sale of my business as
well as funds that I have saved up.

What I am really more interested in doing is making at least half the
store gaming area, some small comfortable nooks regular customers to sit
down and roleplay with some friends and a bunch of tables for tabletop
games. Of course there will be tournaments and regular gaming nights but
I would like to have at least 6 tables set up so you would be able to
come and play your own games with a couple of friends or strangers if
you like.

I want to build a community around the whole thing, have a place for
people from 12 to 60 to get together and play and talk and enjoy themselves.

SO.... my question to all of you is:

What would YOU want to see in a space like this. What is YOUR ideal
gaming space?

Later

"Lattes" <bumpin_removetoemail_@rogers.com> wrote in message
> So the time is almost at hand for me to sell my current business and move
> along to other things.
>
> I have been thinking about opening up a games only store, basically
> carrying GW, Wizards, Wizkids & other Role Playing gear. Little or no
> comics (maybe some trade paperbacks)
>
> To be honest it isn't going to be about making tons of money as I will
> have a reasonable size chunk of change from the sale of my business as
> well as funds that I have saved up.
>
> What I am really more interested in doing is making at least half the
> store gaming area, some small comfortable nooks regular customers to sit
> down and roleplay with some friends and a bunch of tables for tabletop
> games. Of course there will be tournaments and regular gaming nights but I
> would like to have at least 6 tables set up so you would be able to come
> and play your own games with a couple of friends or strangers if you like.
>
> I want to build a community around the whole thing, have a place for
> people from 12 to 60 to get together and play and talk and enjoy
> themselves.
>
> SO.... my question to all of you is:
>
> What would YOU want to see in a space like this. What is YOUR ideal gaming
> space?

Well, as far as physical stuff is concerned..

Tables and chairs for a dozen or so in an easily-visible part of the store,
for small drafts or games.

A separate area for at least three times that many people for larger groups.
Maybe even rent out the space for gaming groups to use on a regular basis.
Small roleplaying groups come to mind.

Snacks easily available.

Game supplies for major games (CCG's and RPG's). Suggested systems (I won't
go into the CCG end because I only play one - guess which one! - and most of
the other uber-popular ones I find are designed for "younger minds", or I
just haven't been introduced to them) would be D&D/AD&D (having a few things
for 2nd Ed would be a bonus IMO), White Wolf, and Wheel of Time. Those seem
to be popular in my area. Do you plan on also having supplies for
model-based games, such as Warhammer 40k?

A good cooling/heating system is also important. Gotta keep people that come
in comfortable enough that they like to come back.

But to me, the most important part of any business is how you treat your
customers and your staff. We have a local store that I refuse to go to
anymore because I was a regular there, I wasn't feeling well, and the guy
that was running the store was pestering me; I told him to stop because I
wasn't well, and he spoke those three words you DON'T want to hear from a
representative of a business you visit regularly (or even one you were
considering): "I don't care." Suffice it to say, it's been I think somewhere
around Onslaught (the set, ie the start of the block) since I was last
there, and I don't recommend it to anyone I know.

So, the short version is, keep your customers happy and they'll come back.
Piss 'em off and your business will go down the drain.

Erich

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Erich Leibrock" <eleibrock@symDELETETHECAPSpatico.ca> wrote in message
> "Lattes" <bumpin_removetoemail_@rogers.com> wrote in message

(snip)

>> What would YOU want to see in a space like this. What is YOUR ideal gaming
>> space?
>
> Well, as far as physical stuff is concerned..
>
> Tables and chairs for a dozen or so in an easily-visible part of the store,
> for small drafts or games.
>
> A separate area for at least three times that many people for larger groups.
> Maybe even rent out the space for gaming groups to use on a regular basis.
> Small roleplaying groups come to mind.
>
> Snacks easily available.
>
> Game supplies for major games (CCG's and RPG's). Suggested systems (I won't
> go into the CCG end because I only play one - guess which one! - and most of
> the other uber-popular ones I find are designed for "younger minds", or I
> just haven't been introduced to them) would be D&D/AD&D (having a few things
> for 2nd Ed would be a bonus IMO), White Wolf, and Wheel of Time. Those seem
> to be popular in my area. Do you plan on also having supplies for
> model-based games, such as Warhammer 40k?
>
> A good cooling/heating system is also important. Gotta keep people that come
> in comfortable enough that they like to come back.
>
> But to me, the most important part of any business is how you treat your
> customers and your staff. We have a local store that I refuse to go to
> anymore because I was a regular there, I wasn't feeling well, and the guy
> that was running the store was pestering me; I told him to stop because I
> wasn't well, and he spoke those three words you DON'T want to hear from a
> representative of a business you visit regularly (or even one you were
> considering): "I don't care." Suffice it to say, it's been I think somewhere
> around Onslaught (the set, ie the start of the block) since I was last
> there, and I don't recommend it to anyone I know.
>
> So, the short version is, keep your customers happy and they'll come back.
> Piss 'em off and your business will go down the drain.

Good point on the "customer friendly" attitude. I'd also say to watch
the pricing on your products. I know that a store like this is probably
riding a pretty fine line when it comes to profits, but my local store
recently changed owners. The new owners sell MTG boosters for close to
the MSRP, while the old owner had a decent markdown. The new owners,
last I checked, no longer did presales for new sets either. The old
owner would give a discount on boxes, and even more for ordering 6 or
more boxes, which was good for my large play group. I hardly ever go
into the store anymore, as the owner of the local convience store keeps
a box of MTG cards by the checkout register (mainly 'cause he knows
I'll buy a pack or two every day), and they're priced that same as the
card store.

- Dave
Magic: The Gathering card singles
http://www.destinationmtg.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

Erich Leibrock <eleibrock@symDELETETHECAPSpatico.ca> wrote:
>Tables and chairs for a dozen or so in an easily-visible part of the store,
>for small drafts or games.

Check.

>A separate area for at least three times that many people for larger groups.
>Maybe even rent out the space for gaming groups to use on a regular basis.
>Small roleplaying groups come to mind.

Check. (Note: gamers, at least in the town I'm in, don't have that much money
over what they spend on games in general... and the "pay a monthly fee to have
access to the gaming space" model turned out not to work well, and I believe
the analogous "daily" thing wouldn't either. However, a different form of
"rent" -

>Snacks easily available.

- turns out to accomplish much the same thing; get your food and drink from
$LOCAL_DISCOUNT_CHAIN and sell them reasonably, and they'll, er, eat them up.)

>Game supplies for major games (CCG's and RPG's).

For a gaming store? You think? (Only somewhat sarcastic here - I _have_ seen
stores that want to promote gaming, but don't have game supplies available
except through some complex ordering system. Guess what happens?)

>A good cooling/heating system is also important. Gotta keep people that come
>in comfortable enough that they like to come back.

Check.

>But to me, the most important part of any business is how you treat your
>customers and your staff.

Very check.

Other things to possibly consider:

Internet access. There are people who will pay $3/hour to come play various
online games on a better computer than they have, or do their homework
research, or check their email, or print out character sheets...

Hours (also connected to "average age of customer"). If you're only open until
6pm, you'll get a younger crowd, and won't get the people who want to play an
evening game. Open until midnight? Watch your crowds change. (Where I sit right
now - The Round Table - is open 3pm through 4am weekdays, noon through 4am
weekends, and is literally the only place in town to go if you suddenly find
you need to purchase dice at 2am, or have a hankering to play Halo Online
after midnight... There's a store at the eastern Mall that gets more daytime
business - but which can only stay open until the mall closes.)

Dave

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

"Lattes" <bumpin_removetoemail_@rogers.com> wrote in message
> What would YOU want to see in a space like this. What is YOUR ideal
> gaming space?

If I could find gaming tables, a computer LAN stocked with good games, and
fresh food (i.e. something other than potato chips) in one store, I'd never
leave.

Where do you plan to set up, btw?

Kevin C. <nomail@dot.com> wrote:
>"Lattes" <bumpin_removetoemail_@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> What would YOU want to see in a space like this. What is YOUR ideal
>> gaming space?
>
>If I could find gaming tables, a computer LAN stocked with good games, and
>fresh food (i.e. something other than potato chips) in one store, I'd never
>leave.

The store I'm in, in addition to these, has a Playstation 2 and an XBox or two,
_and_ gaming supplies for sale. And soft drinks.

One previous incarnation of a previous store (the Adventurer's Inn, which went
through three different locations in its lifetime) was actually in a -house-
for Inn #2 - separate rooms with closable doors, an attic and a basement,
etc. That was close to ideal. (Unfortunately the electrical wiring was very
far from ideal, which was eventually why it moved on to location #3...)

Dave