What Anti-Aliasing does?

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I ran Max Payne Demo without Anti-Aliasing at 1024 x 768 x 16 bit and with 2x Anti-Aliasing with same resolution and color. I did not find any difference between with or without AA.

My Hardware:

Duron 1 GHz
MSI K7N420-Pro mobo
GeForce2 Integrated GPU 32 MB Shared VRAM

My question: Is there any benefit from Anti-Aliasing?

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
I should make things look nicer. If you don't notice it, disable it because it decreases performance.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=white>bless</font color=white> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue>

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
What anti-aliasing does?? well, it removes jaggies on lines (usually on diagonal lines) like the edge of a car. edge of water. building edges... it also smoothens the edges so they look natural. from very close up, you can see how AA fades edges. visit these websites for examples:
http://www.etestinglabs.com/bi/cont1998/199807/vendgam4.asp
http://www.tashian.com/htmlguide/textpics.html

oh yea, no AA = FASTER GAMING, LESS QUALITY IN PICTURE

2xAA = MEDIUM SPEED GAMING, MEDIUM QUALITY PICTURE

4xAA = HIGH QUALITY PICTURE, SLOW GAMING (recommended for very fast GPU's only)

real philosophy of life: "do onto others what you dont want them do onto you"

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, AA is really noticable on old gamez. Like tomb raider 2. You will see the 2x difference, and the 4x difference is like night/day. Same deal with ff7 and thief1. And the beauty of the hole deal iz: you can play at 16x1200, 32 bit, 4x AA, and it's still pulling over 30fps; minimum.

If you have a mainboard gpu, maximum payne will *crawl* with AA turned on. Turn that right the heck off, and see if you can turn up the textures a notch instead...