Redownloading Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
For my build im gonna use windows 7, but because i cant buy the SSD i plan on getting ATM, im gonna download it on a regular HD, so my question is, how will i move the windows 7 RC to the SSD? And what is the size of Windows 7 complete version? So i can partition my OS driver into that size

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Depending how much you want to install along with the OS, but I wouldn't make it less then 40gb if you have the space 20 gb would be the minumum.
Once you have finished installing everything you want, you can use a disk image program to image the drive and restore on another.
I like Acronis True Image Home 2009, it works with W7, but it's not free.
It will restore a larger drive to a smaller one as long as the used space is less then the capacity of the new drive.
NOTE:
I have no knowledge as to compatability with SSD.
You could use the Windows Easy Transfer wizard to backup your files and settings and clean install W7 on the new drive and transfer the backup back to the new drive. It actually works very well and reinstalling W7 will only take 20 minutes or less.

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

If you don't already have Win 7, I think that Aug 20 was the last day that it could be downloaded from Microsoft, unless Torrent has it somewhere, which they probably do.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
thank you jonmar, id think of using acronis but its not free =/, is there a way to delete all information off a HD? Since i have two product keys of windows 7 RC. Will deleting all the data also reset BIOS, or is that in a whole other catagory? And ill have to look into that Transfering program.

yeah mikey i already downloaded windows 7 and burned the .iso to a disk, so im good ;]

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
Yeah, clonezilla is good and free. Its server edition is good for administrator who needs to work on cluster or a room of workstation.

The LiveCD ver should works well for u and you don't need to reactivate so don't worry what you need to do with the old data. In case you do need to wipe it for other reason, that's another problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.