Hercules Prophet 4000XT

daveyoi

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Hello all,

This post is made out of complete desperation and frustration!

I own a 3D Prophet 4000XT PCI card which was running fine
in an old P2 266 system.

I recently upgraded to:
Asus A7N8X
AMD XP 2200+
512 fsb 333
Win XP SP1
And have tried to place the card into this machine, now everything seemed to be working fine... downloaded the winxp drivers from the hercules website... installed Dx9 and tried to crank up a demo of Freelancer... NADA!! nothing not a sausage... figured i had done summin wrong and knowing the board is not a dx9 board so restored the system to before the install and tried again this time it tries to work but just stutters and freezes...(with black and white)...

On running ddiag i recieve the error (dx9) cant create direct3d object error blah blah blah

So i think the card is dead... whip it out and whack it back
into the old p2 266 and it works fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to buy a new card i know its [-peep-].. but why doesnt it work??? its really frustrating!!!

Thanks for your time and if u get it to work ill send u the card!!! hahaha

Dave

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
First let me ask you, will Freelancer run on your OLD system with this card in? The Prophet 4000XT is an original Kyro board, with 32mb of SD ram, and no onboard transform & lighting. I dont think Freelancer will play on this card period. I could be wrong though. I used to play IL2 Sturmovik with my old Prophet card. I got my drivers from the PowerVR website because thats where Hercules got them, and I could usually get updates quicker that way, maybe you should check into that. The bottom line is, you need a new card bud, I know that isnt really helping you a whole lot, but your computer deserves a new card. Good luck.

3DMark 03 = 4,140
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=897633" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=897633</A>
<font color=red>AthlonXP 2100+/Radeon 9500Pro</font color=red>
<font color=red>120% Myself!</font color=red>

daveyoi

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
I havent even tried to be honest.. sure it wouldnt
But black and white does.. the point is i cant even get it
to do the 3d flowerbox screensavers in when its in my new machine... i will check out those reference drivers though.. thx for that!!

Looking forward to payday!! nvidia here i come!!!

cheers
Dave

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
are you overclocking your system at all (if so what is your PIC slots running at 33mhz it should be) ???

click start & run, type Dxdiag and OK, do the display tests & see if it passes okay... then install & run 3dmark2001se & see what it says, check the list of gfx card that do not run with freelancer, odds-on the 4000xt is on it... U will need a HW T&L gfx card then, GF3 upwards...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by marneus on 06/13/03 01:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

daveyoi

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
No im not overclocking everyhing is as standard out of the box apart from a MOBO bios upgrade to REV 1005..

I have been chatting to hercules tech support to on this matter and they have come back with that any memory over 256mb causes a problem with kryo boards!! So will be borrowing a 256 chip from a mate tonite to try that out...

Will let u know the outcome..

thanks for the replies u 2.

Dave