Magic Judges

Archived from groups: rec.games.trading-cards.magic.misc (More info?)

What are the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a judge?

I am a tournament organizer, and a few of my players would like to become
judges, but not until they know the disadvantages and advantages of becoming
a judge. Somebody, tell me what I should tell them.

Thank you

"Jonathan Fourie" <jonathan@jonREMOVEathan.za.net> writes:
> What are the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a judge?
>
> I am a tournament organizer, and a few of my players would like to become
> judges, but not until they know the disadvantages and advantages of becoming
> a judge. Somebody, tell me what I should tell them.

Anyone can be a judge. (If you're running your own events, you are
likely the head judge.) If you judge an event, you can't play in it,
so judging is done for its own reward and whatever compensation you
can get from the tournament organizer.

I think you're really asking about why one might want to be a
*Certified* Judge. Basically, as a certified judge, you have a
credential that Wizards of the Coast thinks that you know the rules
and are a fair and knowledgeable judge. If you're a TO, having a
certified judge at your event may give your players confidence that
the rulings at the event will be fair and accurate, which may
encourage them to come more. (I know of at least one player who
stopped going to events at a store because the owner, who was running
the tournaments, made many blatantly incorrect rulings.) As a random
certified judge, being a certified judge tells tournament organizers
that you know what you're talking about and they therefore might be
more inclined to hire you to run their events. (I got to work at a
Prerelease and at GP Boston, with really the only knowledge the TO
having about me being that I'm a certified judge.)

I'd also advise looking at the information at
<http://www.wizards.com/judge>. There's a lot of useful stuff there.

--
Peter C.
"And in a radical policy change, God today announced that he *will*,