Microsoft dumps nVidia, makes love to ATi?!

eden

Champion
<A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/31189.html" target="_new">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/31189.html</A>

Holy crap, Microsoft really wants ATi rather than nVidia due to ATi's buses being fully licensed by Intel!

ATi's in bed with Nintendo and Microsoft, how lovely!

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

And if you were following the PS3 saga, they may get them too.

I'd love to see what the PS3 has to offer (to me it's more important than Xbox2) but it's a way off. I don't necessarily want one but I will be realistic, however I will NEVER by a Microsoft console under any circumstances. Sony has been talking about how there isn't memory out there for their next generation machine, hopefully the GDDR-||| standard will change that thanks to ATI and Micron, but I can't remember if it was system or video they were concerned with.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK

eden

Champion
Ape, you're usually unbiased, so I have to question if you're denying Microsoft's Xbox solely out of spite.

That aside, personally, I am not interested in any of the two future consoles, because it is an insult to us console gamers. They are already discussing new consoles when not even 3 years have passed? How utterly shameful, we can't buy enough games and have finally paid the huge sum for the console, and suddenly a new one comes out.
Small factoid: Super NES lasted 8 years.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
If the original NES came out in '89 and the N64 came out in '96, then how could the SNES have lasted 8 years?

I love hype. I'm a sucker for it. I don't care how long it's been since the PS2 came out. I love seeing info/gossip on new systems. And I don't think I'm in the minority or we wouldn't be seeing all the talk we are seeing.

Long live hype!

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
lol GOOD, moneysoft will no longer to be a bad influence for nVidia LONG LIVE PS3

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% Nvidia Fanboy
Athlon 64......nForce 3, it sure sucks when you can't afford things. One day Operton Servers will cost less than $4000 so everyone can get one

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
fuuck nvidia.

3DMark 03 = 4,140
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=897633" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=897633</A>
<font color=red>AthlonXP 2100+/Radeon 9500Pro</font color=red>
<font color=red>120% Myself!</font color=red>

My only true hatred in Electronics is MS. I've been around long enough to see the damage they did (unlike so many knobs who think that THEY invented the internet or even had any hand in it [other than trying to stiffle it at the start 'There's no money to be made from the internet, it's all speculative' {thus cutting netscape investor interest, at a time when everyone was questioning the need for an OS with java and the net} of course this was the summer/fall of 95 just before the massive launch of IE.]).

Pure and simple I hate MS, and I don't hide it in the least. It's now a necessary evil, but I don't support it in any way. The day MS dies I will buy champagne perogies! :lol:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
lol you're back!!

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% Nvidia Fanboy
Athlon 64......nForce 3, it sure sucks when you can't afford things. One day Operton Servers will cost less than $4000 so everyone can get one

eden

Champion
I don't care at all if they're mighty right now, having pure hatred is just stupid IMO.

I do think that puts your credibility into a hypocritical position assuming you try to look at nVidia and ATi equally, and then you have trouble with one company out there to this extent.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 06/13/03 11:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
I do like hearing about the technology in them. What I DON'T care for or like, is to hear they're to come out sooner than thought. Part of why they can't properly compete is because they badly implement programming interfaces for these machines, or get CPUs which have a very hard time calculating and being well-programmed. The PS2 is a prime example. Since day one, I've yet to see any new innovations in the graphics. They're STILL THE SAME. Compare how the SNES' Mario World graphics evolved to Donkey Kong, to Stunt Race FX (FX Chip), to Mario RPG. Major enhancements there. The new consoles seem to just have none of that future competence unlocking. Perhaps the GC can. Nintendo has wowed me a lot with Metroid Prime's GFX, extending the graphics so far and keeping a solid consistent 60FPS gameplay including against bosses.

And yes you should have tried to get your facts straight dude, the NES was out by 1985, and has stayed on for 8 years as well.

--

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Apparently no one got my joke, ah well. People too tense these days, trying to kill each other over companies. Well I'll be like Ghandi and not buy from either- I'll just use a paperclip with a little bit of solder! Ha! Who wins now!

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Sorry for the chicanery. I guessed on '89 but I think '96 is right for the N64.

I've yet to see any new innovations in the graphics. They're STILL THE SAME. Compare how the SNES' Mario World graphics evolved to Donkey Kong, to Stunt Race FX (FX Chip), to Mario RPG. Major enhancements there. The new consoles seem to just have none of that future competence unlocking.
I could not agree with you more. Games nowadays don't seem to have the gradual innovation throughout the life of the system like some of the earlier systems.

But that's because we aren't innovating anymore. We are perfecting. What a great time for games, huh?

The current technology of today's consoles has already fludded the programmers with more than enough tools to create a believable 3-D environment. So now they try to make them more and more realistic.

The innovation is still there in the PS2. It's just harder to see the subtlety of the progress. But if you notice alot more of the current generation PS2 games are exploiting the use of shaders in the technology.

And it's only gonna get better.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
AP Calculas in high school. (OOOoooohhhhh)

That would be 7 on any math test. Of course I forgot to add the years up.

But the SNES didn't go for 8 years. Not as the reigning champ at least.

Eden, as I said before it is the ONE company that I hate with a passion. Why? Because they have KILLED so many of the companies I used that had better products.

MY hatred is NOT unfounded, heck it was proved out in court. MS is the anti-C (C shell), and it's not because they are now mighty it is because the path to their glory is littered with the bodies of better companies who got crushed by their anti-competitive practices. If a car crashed as often as Windows it would've been recalled the first week, their security is terrible, despite alot of tip-offs from people. Their support sucks (I had 98 regular [oem], then SE came out and they told me to buy the upgrade, as they weren't going to allow us to patch it). And let's not forget ME. Poor saps running that should be given refugee status byt the U.N. All of this and MS operates exactly the same as before the
Anti-trust trial.

Go ahead question my credibility, WE have NONE here. You are bits and bytes, and so am I. Take what I say as you will, but I will back up my position with facts and be honest about my position. Can you say the same? If so they we have nothing to worry about.

And I guess in the vein of <i>A Few Good Men</i>, I told you why I hate them so much, 'Why do you love them so much?'

I hate MS but I have still given them credit where credit is due (however rarely that is) like standardization (the only good thing of late).

How can I be sure of your objectiveness living in the province of Matrox, Spruce Beer , Maudite/Boreal Rousse and Poutine? One of those has to be rotting your brain by now! :tongue:

<b><font color=red>Go <font color=blue>JV</font color=blue> at the GrandPrix!</font color=red></b>

eden

Champion
Hehehe, if I were to answer why do I love them so much, it's not so much love, but it's that it's Microsoft. And whether anyone out there can't stand them or not, makes no difference, because chances are, you have at least 3 Microsoft products on your computer.

Furthermore, to simple shun them, when they could have good products, but you just don't want to because you hate 'em, is like shunning nVidia completely due to their graphics card drivers, to the point of even not considering their other division, which is one of the most respected and most acclaimed one in the chipset industry, the nForce chipset, specifically the nForce 2!
I hope you can see what I mean. There is always one thing you may really get benefit from, from a company, despite hating them. MS's Xbox isn't exactly turning profits to them anyways, so if you buy it consciously, you'll know you're more contributing to their losses, yet enjoying a good console. It's good, but not great to me, since it's expensive and COULD have better games. That's why I stuck to Gamecube. But I am conscious enough to realize that Microsoft is no angel, nor a devil.
I do agree, recently it's starting to annoy me the amount of assimilation they're doing. I believe now they are INDEED going for the car industry!
I guess those futuristic movies, where in their world one company is worldwide known, are not that fictive!
I do wish they could stay in their computer software industry mainly. And I do wish that if the USA ever tried to move left just a tad, not more than 10%, they could easily start imposing control on MS. And this is what confuses me as well! If they're going so far, WHY ISN'T the government reacting?

Oh well.

Oh btw, you're still credible... :tongue:

--

I may or may not have MS products on my computer and they may or may not have been free to me. 'nuff said.

I don't shun them completely if I don't have any other option. I rent an Xbox and Gamecube every coupla months or so to see the games out there. I almost bought one (felt forced almost) when Morrowind came out. Then I saw it in stores for the PC and I went that route.

I will use them if forced, but I hate the fact that I feel forced, and that they pretty much TAKE over your participation in whatever industry they enter. Rights management in MediaPlayer ticks me off! As does the IE plus other goodies of windows. Thankfully there are copies of Windows out there without all their insidious add-ins.
I may be forced to use their stuff, but it doesn't make me mad that the beter products weren't allowed to live and make my experience a truely better one. I still hate them despite having to use/buy their stuff occasionally.

eden

Champion
Are you even using Windows?

Yeah most of us will go get the free stuff rather than buy it. Truthfully I only bought Windows XP Home OEM as my first ever legal OS. Other than that I got mostly free MS stuff. It's expensive indeed.

As for feeling forced, I just don't see it that narrow.
For every forced thing, there is a non-forced option.
Media Player acting sucky? Go WinAMP! Simpler. I use WA 2 in fact.
Want good DVD watching? Go DivX!
IE ticking you off? Go Opera! Simulates it very well, no pop-ups, can act as IE so sites with IE-only support will work well.
Windows ticking you off??............err ok, I got no solution for that one... :tongue:

--

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Well, u asked for a pissing contest:)
Calculus in 9th OOOOOO
And then of course we have the AP Calc AB and BC in 12th.

Here's the trick, did u count the 89 as well? mwahaha.

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Well the (OOOOoooohhhh) was an attempt to poke fun at the cliche of showing my math smarts and to make light of the subject so as not to appear cocky or conceited. But I failed as you seem to think it was a pissing contest.

And I TOLD you flame, I didn't add the years. mwahaha

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Pissing contests r all part of the fun:) U ever been in a real one? Hehehehhehehehehe, u get in trouble when u miss tho, the janitor comes in and yells at u or anyone else in the bathroom not partaking in the sports activity usually has the most shocked look on their face :lol: