Help Finding a Fast Laptop under $1,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksteven813

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
1. What is your budget?
under $1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13" +

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Any

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
No

5. How much battery life do you need?
4-6 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I dont mind playing games on low settings. I would prefer medium. On games like crisis, BF3, and Diablo 3.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I have over 10+ tabs open at one time on two different browsers, so alot of browsing. I watch alot of HD movies. Play some games. Alot of multi tasking. Some dreamweaver and photoshop.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Any

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
n/a

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3+ years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd rom/writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I like Asus because i heard that they have top reliabilty.
I don't like Apple and I have a dell now and am having issues with it. That is why a reliable brand is very important to me.

13. What country do you live in? US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I have found a few Asus laptops but am not sure if they are the best. Any help is appreciated!

ASUS A53SV-EH71

ASUS U46SV-DH51

ksteven813

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Yes I was looking at that one as well as the Lenovo IdeaPad Y570. I just really want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck. Also, one of the main games I would like to be able to play is Diablo 3 when it comes out.

ksteven813

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Can you explain the main differences in those two computers? As I thought the 555m Outperform the 550m?

Also on the Lenova. I am hesitant about the screen. Can anyone tell me if it is nicer than other screens?

And can anyone recommend any better laptops?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to understand every aspect :)

The major difference is the 2yr warranty & 1yr accidental damage policy.
Lenovo GT 555M vs Asus GT 550M are close enough to equal in performance to not be a major factor. As in either one would not allow playing in medium graphics while the other was restricted to low graphics.

ksteven813

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks! Since the screens are identical, I think I am going to go with the lenovo. I like the keyboard and everything on the Lenovo better. I am going to go to the store before I decide to buy and take a look at it.

So if anyone else has other options out there feel free to let me know :)

ksteven813

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I have actually read that. I am still confused on if the screen would be good in a classroom setting. I hope someone who has this laptop can respond with some feedback. I want to be able to read the screen well in a lighted setting like a classroom. It doesnt have to be perfect, I just want to know that it doesn't suck too much.

Visit your local big box laptop seller and look at the screens there.
They'll most be the glossy/glare type screens and the lighting should be pretty close to a classroom / lecture hall.
If there is a big selection there might be a business class notebook with a matte/anti-glare screen for comparison.

ksteven813

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Hey I visited the store. Unfortunately no Y series there but they did have the Lenovo U400 and Lenovo G570 essentials. Can anyone confirm if those two laptops have the same screen as the y750? If so, then the glare wasn't bad at all.

U400 will definitely have a different part number for the screen.
With out knowing the part number of LCDs installed there isn't any way to know for sure it's the same as the Y570. They could be the same, they could be different. You'd expect the lower priced G570 might have lower priced parts too.

ksteven813

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Excellent. I should be ordering the laptop tomorrow. And if I have any issues with the glare, then I will get that protector. Thanks WR2 for all your help!

I will post feedback here after I get the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.