How to repair a laptop cd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttrainor

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Hello,
My laptop was dropped and now I can't open the CD/DVD drive. I tried the paperclip in the hole it won't open. Can anyone help

D

Deleted member 217926

Your best bet is just to replace it. You about can't do anything to fix an optical drive when it breaks like that.

ttrainor

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks, just what I was hoping NOT to hear! Could I take a CD drive from an old laptop and install it into the HP somehow or am I just wishful thinking? Otherwise can you give me an idea as to cost for replacement? Thanks so much for your help! TT

ttrainor

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
G62-144DX. You are a godsend thank you! This was my daughters laptop for school and she (I think didn't take care), she now has a MacBook pro because she says it doesn't get viruses. This HP is almost brand new, I think I want to keep it for myself. Again THANK YoU!!!

D

Deleted member 217926

It is a SATA drive so the one I linked to above will work fine.

Now I am not sure how easy installing the new drive will be, but it should not be too hard. If you can't figure it out and don't have a tech person you can go to for help you can always take it to a small "mom and pop" type computer shop and I would guess they would not charge you much to install the new drive. I would not take it to Best Buy or any of the big retaillers though, they are likely to charge you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.