Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Hello friends (and foes... mulletkid, etc.)

This dosnt exactly belong here, but it dosnt exactly belong anywhere else, and this is where I do most of my posting/conversing, so I will post it here.

Today (Friday) I ordered the components for the computer that I'm building my mom, as well as some things for me.

Next to the things purchased for me, OR the things purchased for my mom that will be switched out with my current components, I have labelled "MINE".
Enjoy.

CPU: 2500+
MOBO: A7N8X PCB Version 2.0 (MINE)
RAM: 2x256mb Corsair XMS 3500 (MINE)
Case: Silver Chieftec Dragon w/window (steel) (MINE)
HD: 60gb 7200rpm WD (MINE)
CDRW: 52x24x52 Acer (MINE)
Vid Card: PowerColor 9700 Non-Pro
Power Supply: Thermaltake 420w
CPU Cooler: Tt Volcano 11
Monitor: 15" TDV LCD

Other stuff: All MINE!
*2 12" Blue cold cathodes
*Volcano 10 (for 9800 pro)
*8 Tweakmonster copper ramsinks (not BGA)
*Vantec Iceberg 4 Pro w/blue LEDs (for northbridge)
*Clear PSU Mod
*Some blue LED fans
*Window applique, BIOHAZARD (says WARNING: on top, and OVERCLOCKED on bottom)
*Tt CPU Duct Mod (clear tube thing)
*2 24" 2 device Blue rounded IDE cables
*Single Fan rheostat
*2 brushed silver case handles
*Cyclone PCI exhaust fan
*Biohazard fan grille
*ATI Radeon Case Badge
*AS3 and AS Thermal Adhesive

Soon I will have some pics for all you nice people, sry for the delay Gen, my moms digital camera was being repaired.

My Sys:
2700+
A7N8X
2x256 XMS3500
60gb 7.2k rpm WD
ATI 9800 Pro
550w Antec TruePower
19" MAG
Stuff mentioned above.

F.Y.I. on my current mobo (a7n8x pcb. rev. 1.3) I got the new 1004 bios and I can now do 200mhz fsb.
Im currently running at 200*12, memory in sync at 5-2-2-2 (cas 2), aggressive CPU interface, 1.75v vcore. 2.7v ram.

Tried 210fsb, didnt work. Even though I can now do 200mhz fsb, Ill still switch mine out with the pcb rev. 2.0, and see what happens.

At the above settings, 9800 Pro at 420/360 I got 6150 in 3d Mark 2003:)
Have run card at 440/370 stably, but did not run 3dmark 2003 with it like this, and cpu at 200*12.
When I get new cooling ill run 440/370 and push the CPU some more, and see what happens.

PEACE!

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Willamette_Sucks on 06/14/03 03:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
u really suck...but then i wud too if i had what u got there....and two of everything :smile:

If sometimes you feel little, useless, offended or depressed or get that loser feeling, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm out of hundreds of millions...

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Lol, Ty.. I guess.
BTW I recently got a Logitech MX500 too, used to have an Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 but it broke. The Explorer was great, but this is even better, I love it. My UT2k3 skillz have increased by 10%, lol.

Map: Asbestos
Bots: Masterful, 16 bots
Result: The_OC_King (me) wins with 25 kills 7 deaths, 2nd place has 13 kills.

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

Tasuja

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003
Congrats on getting the new stuff.

I remember a few weeks ago when I was ordering all of my stuff, and I was thinking, "Man, this thing is going to be awesome". Especially considering I was upgrading from my p3 1000 with Geforce (original).

I hope your installation goes trouble free, but considering you have a lot more practice with this than me, I am sure it will.

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Man, u suck more now :wink: . but i still wonder y u didnt get urself a p4 2.4c or 2.8c with a canterwood board. just wondering...thats some cool :cool: stuff u got there.

If sometimes you feel little, useless, offended or depressed or get that loser feeling, always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm out of hundreds of millions...

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Well lets see.
AMD rocks Intel sux, im an AMD fanboy, I have lots of experience with AMD platforms, none with Intel platforms.
2.8c and canterwood board costs more also.
2500 = 80
Board = 128

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
:eek: You're building your mother???? OMG!!!!! You perv!!!! :tongue:

nice nice, can u elaborate on the LCD please? I could give a few pointers.....

I have a blue cold cathode lying around, have no idea wtf to do with it tho, I mean I used every power plug on my case, and there isn't much room left. Maybe I'll save it for my next rice...errrr cool case :tongue:

hmm, do I represent the "etc."?

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Its a 15" TDV LCD, not the best, but only $210 on www.tigerdirect.com
Look on there if you want info about it.
Honestly, I cant tell a difference visually between a 200$ 15" LCD and a $400 15" LCD.
As long as they have the same specs/resolution, then theres really no difference. One may last longer than another but I'm not worried about that.
I had to get a cheapy because of budget constraints.

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
The way u have gone out on ur new build, i thot money was not that much of a problem to restrict u from getting an INTEL. but then again, AMD has always been a "logical" (read that as economical) solution, for me too.

Congrats on all that new stuff....

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Ha that mouse is mine now! Stupid willamette, should of just hit it! Have no idea how much [-peep-] it fixes.

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
This is an AMD board, so if you don't like AMD, fine, but stfu. I didn't even THINK about getting Intel. And my next platform will be an nForce 3 board, with PCIX, an r420 and an Athlon 64, thankyou very much.

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Chill out dude!! AMD is no doubt good. but today you have better options to choose from Intel. All I did was just ask ur opinion...not to start another flame war here.

<b><font color=red>Cigarette :</font color=red> <font color=blue>A pinch of tobacco rolled in paper with fire at one end & a fool at the other.</font color=blue></b>

eden

Champion
Yeah, one who would reject considering the EXCELLENT price/performance of a 2.4GHZ with 800MHZ FSB AND HyperThreading, needs serious schooling. That is unless he didn't have the money right from the beginning and needs very low-budget CPUs.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I agree that right now, Intel is a viable option, but it wasnt for me!!! Flame me all you want, but im a fanboy. Im not an ATI or nVidia fanboy, im not a fanboy of anything else that I know of either, but I am an AMD fanboy.

And Eden, in your post before this one you said "I have my doubts about Athlon 64, so you should as well."
Are you saying that SOLELY because YOU have doubts, I should too? Telling me I should have doubts is one thing, saying I should have them simply because you do is quite another.

But, yes, I do have some doubts, just as I would with almost anything. The Opteron server benchmarks did good in some things, ok in others, and poorly in others.

But I'm confident for a few reasons.
First of all I dont want a 1.6 or 1.8 ghz Athlon 64. Thats BS. This things highly scalable so I want some big numbers. Im planning on doing a system upgrade q2 of 2004, and Im hoping there will be some Athlon 64s with clock speeds much higher than 1.6 or 1.8 ghz.
Secondly... NFORCE 3 WITH UBER FAST MEMORY!!! That ends my argument.

Oh, and Eden? Hyperthreading SUCKS ASS!!!
Good idea, but not evolved well right now. Has potential, but currently is gay. Helps with a very limited range of applications, MIGHT help with Doom3, but for other games, if anything it slows it down.
IF I DID get a p4, I would definately disable hyperthreading. I mean, I do use photoshop, and SOMETIMES I even use the filters that it actually increases performance for! But thats not enough to justify its current overwhelming gayness.

eden

Champion
Ok you're right I misphrased my statement. I meant that at the moment with the current stakes, no one should put all their eggs into the Athlon 64 basket. Not when Prescott looms around with 0.09m. That thing will rape.

nForce 3? Have you any links to major performance improvements it will bring? What if it's ONLY a feature-packed nVidia chipset like the nForce 2, but made for K8?

The Opteron server benchmarks did good in some things, ok in others, and poorly in others.
One who'd even consider an Opteron for ANYTHING other than server use such as database, like workstation use, should be shot down. It sucks plain out, even with SSE2, in workstation use, which is US users.

Good idea, but not evolved well right now. Has potential, but currently is gay. Helps with a very limited range of applications, MIGHT help with Doom3, but for other games, if anything it slows it down.
IF I DID get a p4, I would definately disable hyperthreading. I mean, I do use photoshop, and SOMETIMES I even use the filters that it actually increases performance for! But thats not enough to justify its current overwhelming gayness.
You know what's funny?
You as almost all of us fell into a virtual hype trap. Hyperthreading NEVER WAS MEANT to be performance-wise better. It was meant to make MULTITHREADING, hence multitasking as its real side-effect, better. Why on earth people perceived it as a a huge performance booster is beyond me. If they wanted that, invest it on Athlon K7, because with 9 IPCs, it can stand to fill the pipes. The Pentium 4 cannot benefit so much more. It only will in multitasking majorly. So you as everyone, stop looking at HT this way. HT is primarily multitasking enhancement, and at that, it makes the job of millions. A 3.6GHZ non-HT was slower than a 3.06GHZ HT enabled.

Even more convincing is that the 2.8GHZ 800MT CPU is leaps stronger than an XP3200+. I'll grant you with full agreement the low-end for AMD. An XP2400 or 2600+ costs so little it's only bankrupting AMD!

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yeah hyperthreading makes those 10 apps taking up %5 of your processor run at the same time smoother. instead of waiting in like for a turn

but in applications that use your whole CPU, hyperthreading is useless. but thats another forum section

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
ya... the chance of failure for Athlon 64 is scaring me badly....... i used to be in love with that chip, but now (shudders) i'm kinda scared.... i mean the Prescotts will rape Athlon 64 once it gets to a certain level.... AMD better have something else up their sleeves

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% Nvidia Fanboy
Athlon 64......nForce 3, it sure sucks when you can't afford things. One day Operton Servers will cost less than $4000 so everyone can get one

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
K, I see the usefullness for multitasking. But on current fast processors and platforms that have a good amount of ram, theres no waiting in line anyways. I could get my comp to slow down if i opened up TONS of crap, but as it is with no HT at all, i can have photoshop, 5 things in Opera, winamp, word, trillian, and outlook express ALL open at the same time and could switch between them seemlessly, and have multiple things happening.

First off, I NEVER do that (although I have tried). I have no reason to. If i want to do something, i want to do something. One thing at a time (cept stuff like IMing and browsing and email, those all kinda go hand in hand).
So major multitasking is never an issue with me.
And who the hell would have 5 instances of Photoshop open with huge files in each anyways?
Cause unless you did, my non HT system could handle it just fine (see situation above).

And one question that maybe you know the answer to Eden, I wouldnt have a problem with HT if it just didnt slow crap down. If it never slowed things down, but sometimes speeded them up, thatd be great. But I cant have it lowering game performance like it does.

Maybe theyll fix that in its next incarnation.
But then AMD will have it to, theyve already talked about "considering" it, which means the next cpu after Athlon 64, whichll probly just be a refresh of the athlon 64, will have HT.

I have no links for you bout nForce 3 but I did read something brief about it, it might have even been here on THG, cant remember, but I would expect it to kick ass just like the nForce 2.
The nforce 2 is not just a feature packed chipset, what are you smoking? It unlocks UBER performance out of new gen athlons that the kt333 cant touch.
What I read about the nForce 3 indicated that there would be extremely low memory latency, somewhat like the 875, only BETTER. Thats one of the things about Opteron servers that im assuming/hoping will carry over to the desktop platform, extremely low memory latency. It will probly start off with dual channel ddr400, but maybe there will be a refresh with QDDR.
I don't think nVidia would follow up such a great product (nforce 2) with a FLOP, like the FX. Im confident nForce 3 will kick ass, and probably be the platform of choice for the Athlon 64.
I want a 3ghz Athlon 64, and its easily scalable to 3ghz.
I just hope they got somthin real fast out by q2 2004, cause I DONT LIKE WAITING and thats when I want to upgrade.

And the 2.8c dosnt kick the xp3200s ass in everything. UT2k3? I don't know why Intel fanboys brag about a 3ghz processor beating a 2.4 ghz processor anyways. AMDs architecture is SO FREAKING MUCH BETTER its unbelievable. If we look at JUST the CPUs, AMD is SOO much better, the only thing they lack is sse2 and possibly HT.
If you gave athlon 3ghz and as much memory bandwidth as a p4 platform, it would kick its ass SOO FRICKIN HARD!

Of course youll say... "yeah, well the point is that that dosnt exist, and its not that scalable etc."
Well id rather support the more creative ingenius, and more LOGICAL company. The p4 is ALOT like the FX. Although it has fared MUCH better, and does beat the top of the line AMD cpu, its similar to the FX in that its a fairly odd architecture. The whole trace cache thing. WTF were they smoking? Maybe if it was bigger or something, I dont know...
Thats kinda like HT too, semi-brilliant idea, but its the first time around, and its not such a great incarnation.
2nd time around things are always better.
Unfortunately the stupid Prescott is the same POS, just faster.
I wish the CPU market was more like the vid card market, and could get a whole new chip out every 2 years at least. Geesh.
Compared with CPUs, vid cards have advanced ALOT more, no wonder they already have more transistors. CPUs need to catch up.

And one funny thing you say is that you agree AMD owns the low end market, with the 2400/2500/2600 being SO cheap.
Last time i checked a 2600+ amd paired with a good board and nice ram was not low end. Not by a long shot. It just happens to be an EXTREMELY FAST product EXTREMELY CHEAP.
4 months ago it kicked ass. Now theres bigger and badder on both sides, but 4 months isnt a long time, it still whoops ass. MAJOR ass.

Neways, THATS alot of ramble! Wheww.

IN CONCLUSION: Intel is good, AMD is good, HT is OK for some people, etc. etc.

This thread was not meant to bash AMD/Intel.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
He promised me pic's of his 9800Pro after he modified it....I'm taking it that the modification never happened?
I dont blame you pumpkin, It would be a shame if you hosed your new card....

3DMark 03 = 4,140
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=897633" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=897633</A>
<font color=red>AthlonXP 2100+/Radeon 9500Pro</font color=red>
<font color=red>120% Myself!</font color=red>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Hey when did you get that 2100+ gen? I thought you had an 1800. I could be wront though. NEWAYS.
Hey man! not so quick. Im still planning on modding the card, and even asked someone about it in another thread. But this stuff and the cooling came first.

Ill give yall pics of my sys when i get this stuff, and then ill give u pics of the card after I mod it.
I just need to research it a little more before i go touching a soldering iron to my $400 dollar board.
I notice you havnt modded your 9500 yet either gen.
Probly for the same reasons.

See I ended up getting a volcano 10 instead of a crystal orb or vantec iceberg. Not bad eh? I did get a vantec iceberg 4 pro (w/the pretty blue leds:) for my northbridge though.
Those things look SO cool, its gonna go great with my sys.
Silver case, blue lighting, and blue led fans.
extreem 1337ness.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Hey when did you get that 2100+ gen? I thought you had an 1800.
Since we met here, I've gone through 3 cpu's. A Duron 1.1, a Tbird 1.2, and recently this Tbred 2100+. I am under the belief that it is pointless to upgrade video cards as much as I was, when your processor is crap. I would rather spend the money on video cards :)

3DMark 03 = 4,140
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=897633" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=897633</A>
<font color=red>AthlonXP 2100+/Radeon 9500Pro</font color=red>
<font color=red>120% Myself!</font color=red>