Sign in with
Your question

From a GF4 TI-4400 to a GF FX5600 *DELETED* *DELETED*

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
June 14, 2003 9:36:36 PM

Post deleted by 4ryan6
June 14, 2003 9:52:38 PM

I am surprised you can even notice a difference, it's not supposed to even outperform it.

What, you've only done 3dMark 03 yet? Go do some real benchmarks and report some figures, I have a hard time believing you. Especially considering the recent cheat drivers by nVidia AND the 5600 being a very badly viewed card by us all here.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:
June 15, 2003 1:06:23 AM

Post deleted by Spitfire_x86
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2003 1:31:36 AM

Post deleted by 4ryan6
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2003 1:38:26 AM

Yeah I'd have to agree. I'm surprised you'd see much difference. You would in 3Dmk03 of course because of DX9 vs 8.

Did you run 3Dmk03, try other apps?

What is the performance boost you noticed? Quality, Speed, what? Qualitative or Quantitative? Playing with AA/AF? Just curious, as I have the R9600P and all the reviews I read put the GF cards in the same league in most apps.
Glad to hear your happy, cause if you weren't I'm sure alot of people would tell you why.

BTW which Mfr? And it's not an Ultra, right?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2003 1:40:23 AM

Whoa, I just went to take a look at some of the reviews, and I couldn't find any with recent driver additions, so it took me a while to click 'post' wow how things change in a few mins.
Anywhoo, still curious, but don't pack up your marbles and leave!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK
June 15, 2003 2:20:25 AM

I’m not sure how you can say that ATi drivers have been better. I haven’t had any problems with the before or after drivers, and I sure as h3ll didn’t get the 3DMark that I was hoping for :wink: Unless you know of anybody with driver problems then ok, but if you say that because of the cheats then I wouldn’t say there is a problem with the Nv driver. And why do you say NEVER buy a FX card, never is a long time. I suppose the same could be said about ATi card. Sure you save a few dollars, but you wait for drivers, and you’ll be lucky if you don’t have to format, and you’ll be even luckier if you can actually play games, and this is with sum driver maturity under the ATi cards. Just read some threads. I don’t see any body posting about there Nv card.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.
June 15, 2003 2:34:56 AM

I had quite few problems problems with DX9 + few rev. of Detornator 40.XX drivers, also few BSOD from nv4disp.dll. But now I don't have any kind of problems with Cat3.2/Cat3.4.

I'm yet to find a game that refused to run with Cat3.2/Cat3.4. No surprising poor performance, every game performs like expectation.

More than 4 months passed since FX5800 release, but there's no "real" good driver that is cheat free and can give a constant performance.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>
June 15, 2003 3:22:38 AM

I didn’t have any problem with DX9 and I switch over right away while people were still saying don’t install it. Scaring the h3ll out of everybody, but yet a few short weeks later I think a quite few have switch to DX9.

I had my share of problems too, and before I would blame it on a driver or the card I blamed it on my mobo being a little old, the BIOS not being so compatible, or having the BIOS set to aggressive. I say this because changing drivers rarely if at all made any problem go away, but a setting in the BIOS always gave the best results, but for each their own fix.

Glad to hear your ATi card is working well for you. I’m still kicking a$$ in UT with my GF4 so I’m happy, but itching to change soon.

Yeah I know what you mean with the FX, not only that, but it’s hard trying to figure out what is going on with the changes there suppose to have made, at least for me. I’m surprise THG hasn’t updated the review, if they have I don’t know about it. It’s a little irritating with all the reviews, not knowing what’s old or knew, changed or what. Hopefully things will get straighten out and people will have a better ideal which way they want to go.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.
June 15, 2003 7:21:50 PM

Do you have any links to show me the improvement that you seem to indicate about the FX5600, in relation to the Ti4400?
I still don't recall even a performance boost with the new drivers, making it any better than the Ti4400. If anything, it still has lesser performance.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2003 11:33:15 PM

Your post is directed at 4ryan6, right?

Just curious, because I don't know where you are going with that. Althought I have seen some weird benchmarks (and I did post a bunch when the 5600 (non-ultra) 256 was announced.

Well I'm still interested on my end as it's simply different from what I've read. Slight diff. if any and the GF4 outperforms in most DX 7/8 stuff at low res.

Oh well...

June 16, 2003 3:21:32 AM

Yeah it was targetted to you fool, I don't miss my Reply To targets! :lol: 

I thought you had claimed you've seen POSITIVE benchmarks lately of it, at the last minute before posting, that the FX5600 has become clearly a dominator. I must have read wrong and you meant it still was very weak.
AFAIK, it sucks, plain and simple. Ryan needs to prove us fast, because I just don't understand HOW it can be faster than the 4400 other than perhaps AA and Aniso.

--
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2003 3:42:17 AM

The differences I noticed had to be related to DirectX 9 Vs 8 because when I finally got the Nvidia 44.03 drivers to properly load on Win98SE (After about five full attempts, numerous BSOD, freezes, and lockups), the GF4 TI-4400 Graphics Card, ran circles around the GF FX5600, making me thoroughly disgusted at myself for buying the thing in the first place, and pissed off at anything that moved, or talked, or typed, <b><font color=red>which by the way I offer my apologys to anyone here I offended at this post.</font color=red></b> To top it off the cooling fan started to screem on the card like a bearing going bad or something, so I took the thing back to where I bought it, did some research and got an ATI 9800, which I can honestly say is one Kick Ass Graphics Card. Oh by the way, whoever altered my post here at THGF, <b>Thank You!!!</b>

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2003 7:01:52 AM

Well happy it all workd out in the end. Sucks to have problems (I personally screwed up Win2K while uninstalling old ATI drivers [my own damn fault though]). Hope the installation of the R9800 went smoothly as sometimes there are NV vs ATI driver issues when upgrading from one maker to the other. I think alot of us here will be jealous of you though since it's a much better card than is in our rigs.
I think the reason this thread met with some surprise was that it was just after the recent 'new' detonator release and all other reviews had shown little improvement. I think alot of us were hoping for something 'new' that no one had seen (although some I'm sure were just marking their territory). Like Eden I/we assumed it's likely a 3Dmk03 kind thing since it severly handicaps older non-DX9 cards (not that that's a bad thing).

Anywhooo glad to see things worked out. That card (9800Pro or 9800NonPro?) should get you to the launch DX10 without any problems, although you may(lkely) replace your card by then as a constant upgrade process most of us seem locked into.

a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2003 1:12:06 PM

Actually the transition from the NV drivers to the ATI in XP went flawlessly, in Win98SE during the install an ATI warning popped up, with a conflicting error and suggested the fix, I did the suggestion and the install from that point went flawlessly also. It all was smooth as glass compared to the last install of the NV 44.03 drivers for my old TI4400 card, on Win98SE after three unsuccessful attempts, I contacted Nvidia by E-mail and asked them to check and see if the download was corrupted, No response from Nvidia, I tried two more times to install the drivers unsuccessfully, which by this time I was rabid, finally had to use my original installation CD for the GF4 TI4400 to get the card working again, then I did the following. I redownloaded the drivers expanded the drivers to a folder, burnt the file to a CD and installed from the CDROM drive, with no problems from that point , why that worked, I have no idea, unless the original download was corrupted, and Nvidia didn't want to admit it. All this happened after realizing the GF FX5600 was a bad idea and trying to get my TI4400 reinstalled with the most current drivers, all the trouble I had and the Nonresponse from Nvidia, were influential in my decision to go with the ATI 9800, just the thought of going through more of that in the future, is not appealing, however that was the first problems I'd encountered with Nvidia driver installations. I'm dual booting WinXP Pro and Win98SE, WinXP Pro had no problems whatsoever installing the NV 44.03 drivers.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>
June 20, 2003 1:32:50 PM

Indeed the latest drivers from nVidia leave a lot to be desired, especially when it comes to stability. And that only worsens in old OS'.

I am happy to see that you got your money's worth in the end. I was just pretty startled at seeing an FX5600 whooping the Ti4400, for a second I looked out the window to see if pigs started to fly!

Oh well, it's even more surprising your ATi installation went so flawlessly under Win98SE with nVidia trash in the registry!
Hope you can have fun gaming now!

--
a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2003 9:20:23 PM

Eden my personal apology to you, and I do care what you think, and yes I'm having a blast with this ATI 9800, this card rules Man.

a b U Graphics card
June 20, 2003 9:22:08 PM

Spitfire_x86 My personal apology to you, and I do care what you think, I've picked up a lot of good advise from you, I hope you'll accept this apology.

a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2003 5:00:34 AM

I haven't had any problems yet, but if I do, I'll follow suite and reinstall Windows also, just got back from seeing the Hulk, man that was one awesome movie, you've got to go see it, it starts out slow but once he changes to the Hulk, its like a roller coaster ride, really enjoyed it.

June 21, 2003 3:29:04 PM

Glad to hear good comments on Hulk hehe, now I should go see it soon anyways.

Apology accepted, though I don't think you needed to. I knew something was wrong, and it was only a matter of time before it happened to you. The problem is you were under the false impression that it was good, and that was NV PR straight up, not some fanboyistic appeal. So I don't blame you at all bud.

Nonetheless man, a 9800PRO is absolutely powerful compared to a 5600.

PS: Did you say 9800 or 9800PRO? And if so, could you try to get some data benchmarks with your system specs? I've been wanting to see how home users benefit from the same clocked 9800 as the 9700.
--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 06/21/03 11:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2003 3:29:50 AM

Eden you've got to go see the Hulk man, with your imagination you're going to love it, I'm still trying to take in the Annimated Graphic merges into real life scenes, it was amazing.

a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2003 3:39:05 AM

I got the 9800 non pro, relating to the 9700 Pro, which it should perform close to the same, I saw some benchmarks that ran twice what my TI4400 was outputting, and that seemed an acceptable upgrade to me.

June 22, 2003 4:29:35 AM

Indeed a good upgrade.
In AA and Aniso yours should have a slight lead over the 9700PRO btw.

--
!